“My stay at Shreyas was near perfection.”

Shreyas Yoga Retreat
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My stay at Shreyas was near perfection.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The property is completely serene and the staff is utterly fantastic. Everything was in place to make my stay as relaxing and care-free as possible, with the staff highly attentive yet not overbearing and my time equally divided between interesting and challenging activities and rest and relaxation.

As an example of how well-cared for the guests are, I casually mentioned that I had a minor sunburn to one of the staff members one afternoon and only a short time after another staff member came to me with fresh aloe from their beautiful gardens! True service.

I would highly recommend Shreyas to any and everyone interested in a rejuvenating and reflective getaway from the everyday stresses of life or those simply interested in spending time in a beautiful place with interesting guests and an endless supply of activities that are good for the body and soul.

As someone who is not new to yoga, I found the multiple sessions each day to be challenging yet incredibly rewarding, with the rare opportunity to practice in a very small group with highly skilled instructors.

The massages were heaven. My only caveat would be to make sure to let the staff know if you have sensitive skin. I failed to do this and had a minor skin irritation on my face for several days following a facial, which I don't fault the staff for at all. They were very professional and excellent at all of the spa services!

Overall, staying at Shreyas is a 5-star experience and anyone who goes is pretty much guaranteed to cherish their time there. Another guest who I met during my stay had been there 5 times, which is a sure sign of the quality of the place. I can't wait to go back myself!

1 Thank bwellerina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have been to yoga retreats in the past and really enjoyed them but I doubt there is anything to compare with Shreyas anywhere in the world, let alone in the home of yoga - India. Shreyas has everything one would want for a comfortable holiday - lovely clean rooms, beautiful pool and gardens, exquisite food and service to match. But what makes Shreyas stand alone is its culture of care, compassion and commitment to share the beauty and wisdom of yoga. This comes through not only in the highly individual attention paid to each guest's needs, but also in the role Shreyas plays in the community around it, supporting local schools and an extraordinary nearby orphanage, where Shreyas staff teach yoga, supply food and show real love to the children. This is the real deal in spiritual retreats. I leave with so much more than what I arrived with. Already planning my next visit as I now feel part of the Shreyas family.

Room Tip: I tried both the garden and poolside rooms as my air con wasn't working in one and they shifted...
2 Thank claire t
Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I was at Shreyas Retreat for 2 weeks from 1 - 15 April, 2014. I had a wonderful time. All my expectations were met.

I came on a 2 weeks yoga and meditation package. My main objective was to build a good foundation of yoga and meditation practice.

As a novice in yoga and meditation, I was initially very apprehensive about what I am going to meet and whether I will be able to cope. But the yoga teachers were able to put me at ease with the way they handled my classes. I had 8 private yoga lessons in addition to the twice daily group lessons. By the end of my stay, I was surprised that I was able to do many yoga poses comfortably.

The meditation was equally good. Here I must single out Bala for his dedication and patience in proffering explanations on my various enquiries about meditation. I had lessons in sound meditation, trataka meditation, chakra meditation, yoganidra and pranayama.

Shreyas is not only yoga and meditation. I have emphasized them because it was the main reason I went to the resort.

In general, the staff at Shreyas are very courteous and helpful. If you have any problem just approach any staff available and they will take it up on your behalf. It is as easy as that.

The food is vegetarian and very good. It is healthy and tasty; served in a good setting. Though I am not a vegetarian , I never missed meat throughout my stay at Shreyas. I had 2 cooking lessons which proved very useful to me.

I stayed at the Garden Tented Cottage and I love it. It is spacious and private. The open bath room makes showering an interesting experience. I never encountered any lizard or frog in my bathroom. I had no problem with mosquito bites as the staff made sure that the mosquitoes were taken care of. In general the rooms are very neat and are cleaned every day. The trains keep passing but I had no problem sleeping because of trains.

I can't forget the massages. They are simply wonderful. I had 6 massages in my package but I had to book for more. And there is a wide variety to choose from. Really your experience at Shreyas will not be complete without a massage.

For anybody thinking of going to Shreyas, I will say go for it and experience it yourself. And do not forget to do the community service, it was a life changing experience for me.

Shreyas has as their motto "A journey of self discovery". For me I think that is what happened to me at Shreyas. That is why I will be there again next year.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Terna U
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I booked myself in for four nights/three days of yoga, meditation and a series of massages and one on one sessions. It was a fantastic way to unwind and reset. The yoga teachers are challenging but thoughtful and attentive to individuals strengths and weaknesses, offering alternatives and variations throughout the sessions. The place itself is beautiful. The staff are super friendly, the service impeccable, the vegetarian food all sourced from their own organic gardens and fantastic. They even made me a birthday cake :) I will definitely be back

Room Tip: I had a tent room and loved it. I've read a few people comment on the trains, but honestly the...
Berlin, Maryland
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I shared one of the most enriching weeks of our lives at Shreyas. Not only do they have their fundamentals down pat (the grounds, facilities and food were all exquisite), the programs offered are customized for each guest, allowing for a personalized experience to meet your needs. In addition to deepening our yoga practices on many levels and enjoying individual meditation, pranayama, and yoga instruction, the group yoga classes were excellent. We were able to push ourselves with as many challenging classes as we wanted, as well as enjoy some restorative classes when we felt the need to take it easier.

Of course no resort can be this good without great staff. From top to bottom, the staff at Shreyas was the best we've experienced anywhere. Not only are they thoroughly cheerful in providing service, they constantly anticipate their guests' needs. Their greetings of "namaste" and smiles enhanced the peaceful energy of our stay.

We chose to stay in one of the "tents" away from the dining/pool area and were very happy with our choice. The tent more like a casita with a canvas roof, charming front porch and private small open air courtyard off of a spacious bathroom. An amazing variety of birds made their homes all around us and were especially active at dawn and dusk.

Yes, we could hear trains as well as occasional traffic from outside the grounds, but were not bothered by the noise. Our feeling was the it added to the ambiance of being in India and served as a reminder that the world still existed outside of this blissful oasis.

Last but not least the food was delicious, plentiful and beautifully presented. They used a variety of settings for our dining (dining room, poolside, dining tent, etc.) and made each meal memorable. While they only serve vegetarian fare, the dishes offered were savory and satisfying.

We hope we can return to Shreyas again soon. It's a long way from our home but certainly worth the trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the tents farthest away from the dining/pool area and enjoyed the privacy and na...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 20 February 2014

When my husband was going on a business trip, I decided to take a trip on my own. A yoga retreat in India was what I was looking for, and after a through internet search, I decided on Shreyas. I have no regrets on that choice. I booked the 7 night yoga retreat which included 2 group yoga sessions and sound meditation each day, and 5 private yoga sessions, 3 massages, 3 meditation/relaxation sessions, 2 breathing sessions, a cooking class, and community service to prepare food and provide lunch to a local orphanage. There are other packages to choose from as well - wellness, ayurveda, etc. I was very happy with my choice. The staff will also help you customize based on your interests, so if something does not appeal to you, you can choose to remove it. You can also add in (for an additional fee). Or, you can also just go to relax and not choose a package. Days start early with a 6:30 am yoga class. This rattled me at first as I'm not a morning person, but I actually had no trouble following the schedule. The day is busy, and I was in bed by 10 pm, which helped to get an early start. Things that resonate most about this stay: 1) phenomenal yoga instructors (thank you Mani, Rani, Rita, Dr. Ruchana); 2) the excellence in meal preparation and service (thank you Santosh, Arun, Chef Rajan, and the rest of the dining staff); 3) the beautiful grounds and connection to nature; 4) the superb customer service (additional thanks to Rucha, Anu Das, Niri, Bala, and the housekeeping staff); and 5) an unexpected benefit of meeting and getting to know guests from all over the world. During my stay, I met people from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, England, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Taiwan (and I'm from the U.S.A.) Things to know: 1) There is no formal reception. If you need something, ask any of the staff. They will assure your need is met. This was a bit anxiety provoking the first couple days, but once it's understood by you, it works; 2) there is an open-concept bathroom in the garden tent cottages, which I LOVED. Expect some visitors though (ants, bees, frogs, lizards-I had them all, and we managed harmoniously together), but you need to be okay with that. 3) the train-it's there, it whistles. Didn't bother me and I slept through it every night, but if you are easily distracted by noise, it may interrupt your sleep. 4) They do allow children, but I would not recommend this as a place to bring them. It would significantly change the atmosphere for those seeking quiet and solitude. Especially if you are traveling alone, as many of us were when I was there, Shreyas is an ideal place for some yoga, introspection, self-reflection, delicious vegetarian meals, and some socializing with other guests from around the world. I do hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the garden tent cottages which offer privacy, and have the open-concept bathrooms...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank atsrinivasan
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Shreyas was recommended by a friend when she was changing job and wanted to get away for a re-set, so I did the same. It is wonderful in so many ways.

My flight arrived at mid-night and it was almost 3 am when I arrived at the resort, but the staff was lined up by the gate greeting me and gave me a quick tour of the cozy place. All the staff are responsible, responsive, and very kind. Every staff member, from the chef to the gardeners, all come across warm, genuine and even tempers, which makes the guests feel comfortable immediately - it might have something to do with the fact that everyone in the area practice yoga religiously as their daily ritual.

The food was all home-grown (in their garden), organic, and vegan. I was amazed by the variety of the Indian vegan food selection, and the taste was impeccable. Every meal was served in a formal dining setting, either in the tent, by the bon fire, or in the dining room. With thoughtfully designed menu and gorgeous table settings. The menu for every meal is printed out on the table, making every meal a special event. The guests gather at meal times and share their experience of the day, or in general. I met quite a few interesting people there. I would highly recommend their own recipe book called "the soul food", it was a bit pricy (by local standard) but was worth every penny, I have tried more than half of the recipe from the book, with great success.

The resort and cozy and comfortable, with a pool and garden where you can go running. However, if you get bored staying at the resort, you can also opt for a day out at Mysore or Bangalore to experience the culture and the crowd, which we found well worthwhlie.

One must try is their laundry service before you leave. The laundry was carefully folded with tissue paper and wrapped perfectly for packing. A fellow guest even gave them the whole suitcase to clean,and it came back like brand new.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay, I still quote some of the stories I was told at the morning meditation classes.

Room Tip: I find the pool side rooms quite convenient, close to the library, dining rooms, and the steam rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo