“value for money”
Review of Hotel Moti Mahal

Hotel Moti Mahal
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Mangalore
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

moti mahal is located in the heart of the city. they have recently renowed the ambience of the holel. rooms have huge space. food quality is excellent. one of the old hotels in the city. it also has a swimming pool and a pub with disco. i love staying here.

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 16 July 2012

* Nice hotel in the middle of the city
* Staffs r good
* Booking experience is good and entry to rooms is smooth
* u will get Autos outside the hotel within seconds to roam around the city
* Two restaurants r there, check which one for Complimentary BF. I missed it , had in other restaurant & paid :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TNANBLR
Reviewed 5 July 2012

it was one of best sea food i have ever had........ plus a great hotel and great location. Its a nice hotel in an economy price. It is located in the center of city. The restaurant in the hotel also has good variety of food. The hotel has a also a very good swimming pool. The service was nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We had booked around 15 rooms in this hotel during a family wedding. We chose this hotel over others because of its proximity to bus/train stations (he had guests arriving from different places) and also because of the excellent rates they gave us. We were around 40-50 of us and the hotel staff were considerate enough to give us all rooms together. A few of us got lucky - although we had booked only double A/C rooms, they allotted us A/C suites at the same price since the rooms were full! These were quite luxurious for the price - with a living room large enough for 10-15 guests, bed room with king bed, ample floor space, huge French windows with beautiful two-sided view of Mangalore city, dressing room, fridge, TV, phone, etc. The bathroom had a tub but was not exactly squeaky clean and the "hot" water was not exactly hot either! Breakfast was included in the tariff and was arranged every morning in one of the restaurants on the ground floor. We had a couple of wedding functions in one of the banquet halls and the arrangements were all very organized and nice. Food provided was affordable, fresh and tasty. If you are doing a bulk booking of rooms/banquet, make sure you bargain hard with them. They'll give you a very good deal (we considered 4-5 other hotels in Mangalore before deciding on this one - was easily the most value-for-money of the lot).

The only major bad experience we had goes like this - we were all gathered in one of rooms chatting away, having fun late one night. Looks like one of the bell boys was keeping an eye on us (since we were a huge wedding group, he must've guessed we had valuables with us). He was caught red-handed trying to open one of the locked rooms with a spare key (nobody was inside) at around 12 in the night! When confronted, he just uttered something about his being there on a routine check or some crap like that! We blasted the hell out of him and reported it to the management. They reprimanded him but couldn't do much to ensure such a thing wouldn't happen again. They just asked us to double-lock our rooms when we went out (with a pad-lock) but this was not possible for all rooms since many didn't have a latch but a knob-lock. So we made sure we carried our valuables with us after this incident throughout our stay there.

Other than this, we had an extremely enjoyable, "feel-at-home" stay at this hotel. If I travel to Mangalore with my family again, I will not hesitate to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have booked a double A/C room and are lucky during check-in (all double A/Cs are full), they...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Room Tip: I tried a non ac room. The weather in Mangalore is very humid so go for AC room only.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2012

this is the third time we stayed at this hotel.we checked into an executive ac room this time instead of the usual standard ac room. but in this hotel better room does not ensure better service. while the reception staff is excellent, beware of the room service staff. the room service manager was not available even at 8am., the order was taken grudgingly. with a terse YES and OK.. tea served was only 3/4 flask full. the cups given without saucers which a basic 2 star restaurant serves. when asked, the saucers were sent thru a room service boy who handed over the same with a stare,

Room Tip: select rooms which are not on the top floors poor ac. costlier rooms donot mean better service in th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I am a native of Mangalore. I booked 2 non AC rooms(there is no need of AC in Mangalore in the month of December) through makemytrip.com One for my family and one for my mother who was 80 yrs old. I was surprised when we were given rooms in a seperate block behind the main building. There were many stairs to climb. There was no way my mother could have climbed those stairs as she has very bad arthritis.. I went to the manager and he told me I should have booked the hotel directly not through any travel site. I paid extra and changed my room to AC in the main block where there are elevators. Mangager charged me more than published rates on their website. When I asked him he said the website is not correct. It has not been updated.
Initially I had booked for 3 nights. I vacated the hotel next morning and moved to Hotel Srinivas where we got better service for half of the price. Buffet Breakfast offered at Moti was good , again the waiters/staff at breakfast were unfriendly and staring at guests and their plates.
Please do not reserve rooms through any websites, do not choose non AC rooms.
There are btter hotels in Mangalore. Moti Mahal has only name with poor service. Coming from United States I could not tolerate the rudeness of the staff and the manager. Leaving the hotel within 12 hours of arrival was one of the best decision I made.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the main block. Rooms in the rear block, definetely no no.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family