After experiencing the worst possible start to our India trip (the first day of the strike - stranded at the airport, no phones, no public transport whatsoever!) we were so relieved to finally arrive at Saj Home (in a police van!) and be greeted by the smiling faces of Saj, his wife and daughter. They were so welcoming as they handed us a cold bottle of water and two delicious fresh juices while we sat and filled out the forms. Saj had kept the room for us despite not hearing from us all day. We were shown to our room, where our bags were already waiting. Finally, we could relax!
The room was Rs1975 per night including breakfast, which works out at about €28. This was slightly more expensive than average, but the homestay is spotless, the food was lovely and the service was impeccable so we felt it was worth it. Our room was very nice and we had a small balcony. The A/C was a godsend as Fort Kochi was sweltering when we were there. The bathroom was the typical open-plan style, and I think there was always hot water but we didn't need it most days. Saj was great at showing us what to see in the local area and where to eat (Dal Roti!) The location is perfect - it is walking distance to all the main sights of Fort Kochi.
Breakfast is eaten out on the lovely balcony, and it was absolutely delicious. We could not get enough of the coffee and juices! On our last morning we left for Munnar at around 6am and Saj had prepared a little breakfast box for us, which we really appreciated!
There is a separate entrance for guests which is a nice touch, you don't feel like you are intruding in the family's personal space (although we didn't know about this entrance at first and kept ringing their doorbell!) but whenever you need help, someone is there. The door is locked at 10pm but there is a security guard at the ATM downstairs who will let you in after that. Having the ATM downstairs is so handy, you don't have to walk far with large sums of money in your pocket. My boyfriend thought he had been robbed one day and Saj was so good at calming us down and helping us figure out what had happened (turns out it was just a mistake with our bank - but always make sure you press the 'no more transactions' button!)
Natasha is the star of Saj Home, she is so cute and a joy to deal with. She let us use their family computer when the internet cafe nearby was closed and even sorted out Kathakali tickets for us. She also treated us to a singing performance! On our last evening she took care of our bill with the height of professionalism... and she's only 10! We were so impressed. Saj, you and your wife can retire now and let Natasha take over :-D
The only minor complaint we have is the price of laundry - it was our first stop so we didn't know how much it should cost, but having travelled through the rest of the country we now know it was expensive in comparison. Everything else was spot on though. We felt very welcome and taken care of at Saj Home, and we would recommend it to everyone. It was the first place we stayed in India, and our first experience of a homestay - thank you Saj and family for making it a great one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sajhome is located right at the heart of Fort Kochi. All the tourist attractions are 5-10 minutes walkable distance. You are staying with a Kerala family. So you can enjoy Kerala delicious food and provide genuine tour information, further travel assistance, Arrange taxis, flight tickets, Train tickets, Bus tickets, Cultural dances, Martial arts, Indian classical Music, Genuine Ayurvedic Massage, Accommodation in next destination, Kerala Package tour, 24 Hour overnite House boats in Alleppey or in Kumarakom, 3-7 hours Village backwaters cruise etc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Sajhome reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sajhome Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Sajhome Kochi (Cochin), Kerala, India