“Lovely homestay and incredible welcome”

Green Woods-Bethlehem
Ranked #15 of 211 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I had a wonderful stay at green woods Bethlehem. I arrived after a long exhausting bus ride and was greeted with a huge mug of tea, snacks and a beaming smile- exactly what I needed. The rooms are beautifully furnished and the
Comfortable I've had in india. The hosts, sheeba and Ashley, are incredibly welcoming and chatty and I really felt as though i was a guest in their home. They were very accommodating and helpful in arranging extra activities, transport and giving recommendations. Yummy breakfasts are served on the awesome indiana jones style roof terrace in the middle of the jungle garden. I had a wonderful stay and it was the perfect place to relax and while away a few days.

• Stayed: May 2011
There are newer reviews for Green Woods-Bethlehem

Reviewed 14 May 2011

After traveling for 3 months around the world - this place was a stand out for us. If your looking for a clean bed and bathroom, quiet room, GREAT included breakfast and a family owned guest house run by two of the sweetest people you will ever meet - Green Woods- Bethlehem is the place to be.

Upon arriving, we were greeted with big smiles and open arms from Sheeba and Ashley, the owners of the guest house. They offered us two different rooms, and as a first amongst our travels, they actually encouraged us to take the less expensive room (no AC) because they knew it was quieter and more comfortable than the AC option. This was a small but clear indication of their heart and character. And these qualities show up all over the property.

This husband and wife team run a small guest house within a 5 minute walk to the heart of Ft. Kochi. They put their heart and soul into the place and you feel it with the quaint but modest furnishings, you taste it in the food Sheeba prepares each morning and you see it in all the little things that Ashley does around the property to make you comfortable. They are also long time locals to the area and know all the best restaurants, where the best yet inexpensive Ayurvedic massage in town is (and it is!) and can give recommendations on where to go next and other good places to stay once you move on from Ft. Kochi. And most of all, they are so happy to help you in any way they can. The great thing about their place is you really feel like you are staying in a home as the place is extremely comfortable and relaxed (a rarity considering allot of what we experienced everywhere else in India).

They have a great little rooftop open air area where breakfast is served and the place is available for you for the rest of the day to hang out in, swing in the hammock, sit and read a book or look out at their trees and listen to the birds sing their songs for the day.

If you want MORE for your money than just a bed and bathroom - then come here as what they charge vs. all you get by staying in a place full of love and kind attention makes this the bargain of the century in all of India.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Woudn't stay anywere else in Kochi.
This was my favorite place during the intire trip. Never felt more at home in India than here. We Stayed for 2 nights one when we first arrived to kerala and another when we left, we were very well treated and they even keep our bags so we wouldn't have to carry them around while we were visiting the rest of the state. If you are staying in Kochi, stay here :)

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2011

My friend and I had a wonderful time staying at this home stay. Sheeba and her husband were incredibly welcoming and helpful, and gave lots of great advice about the area. The rooftop area was a great place to relax, and getting a delicious breakfast included in the room rate was a bonus. Its by far not the cheapest home stay in Fort Cochin but we actually chose to move from a much cheaper one to Green Woods for a more authentic homestay experience, and it was worth every rupee!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Sheeba and Ashley are absolutely lovely hosts. I was travelling on my own and a little nervous to be alone in India. However, I arrived at Greenwoods and was made to feel right at home immediately. Sheeba gave me a big hug and was so excited to see me, it was like she'd known me all her life and I was returning home to her. The rooms are modest, but clean and pretty comfortable. No hot water, but it's pretty warm there so not really a problem. Breakfast in the morning is lovely, fresh fruit and toast and whatever Sheeba feels like cooking that morning. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We spent 3 nights here and can not praise Green Woods enough. We have spent 2 months in india and seen a wide range of accommodation but this was definitely one of the best we stayed in. Sheeba and Ashley go out of there way to help you - including recommending accommodation elsewhere in india and giving us plenty of information about kochin. The breakfast which is included is delicious and there is lots of it. The rooms are cosy and very clean. It is amazing value and only a 10/15 minute walk to the main streets of fort Cochin. Sheeba and ashley are the perfect hosts!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank AlexandEmtravelling
Reviewed 4 January 2011

The folks who run this place, Ashley and Sarah, are so kind and sweet. Also, they cook a mean breakfast.

The rooms are full of character, with historical photos and antique furniture. The beds are typical of a homestay in this price range, comfortable enough to sleep fine. It's warm there, but my friend and I were ok without a/c. The rooftop is a relaxing space with a hammock, rocking chair, and tables surrounded by a canopy of green leaves.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends