Green Woods-Bethlehem
US$88
  • Pool
Taj Malabar Resort & Spa Cochin(Kochi (Cochin))
US$121
Flora Airport Hotel(Nedumbassery)
US$73
US$57
Agoda.com
All reviewssheeba and ashleyher husbandroof terracefort cochinlovely hostslovely rooftophome staylovely homestayevery morninglonely planetcooking demonstrationthree nightshome away from homeno hot watermosquito netcooking classbreakfast is served
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I fully agree Sheeba and Ashley are genuine, warm and friendly hosts but I suspect guests giving them 5 stars are more in need of psychologists than looking for value for money accommodation.

I checked in the morning and was given the choice between the upstairs and downstairs room.

I opted for the downstairs room but when I went to sleep I noticed the fan was half broken and the bathroom has a nest of killer ants marching in and out of a large hole in the wall.
To make things worst the bed was not made and there was only one sheet for me to sleep with (no extra sheet to cover) as well as 3 pillows that were (to say mildly) not as fresh as a daisy.

I notified Sheeba that the fan was not cooling at all and I would like to move upstairs and she said fine (as there were two empty rooms upstairs anyway) after some convincing (I would rather sleep in a prison cell than in a stuffy room with 90% humidity at 30c+).

The room upstairs was clean and had ample sheets and a working fan. The next day I asked to stay in the upstairs room and I was "given a discounted rate" for a 30 night stay that happened to be more expensive than the "non discounted rate" that the girls staying there for only 2 nights were getting (!). Annoyed by this I decided to call it quits and move out.

The garden is very nice but you have bare in mind that this is a jungle setting and that there are more mosquitoes, insects and even snakes (especially during monsoon) than urban areas so stack up on powerful anti insect creams and buy some natural garlic cloves (seriously) that acts as a natural snake repellent especially if you opt to stay in the downstairs room.

To cut a long stroy short - stay away from the downstairs room. The window in the WC/Shower is half open and provides zero privacy (i.e: neighbors see you fully naked unless you switch off the lights at night and shower in the dark).

The rooftop is nice but there are traces of the overly relaxed attitude of the hosts there too. After pouring some of the freely provided black tea I opened the sugar jar to find it infested with insects (lice) that kind of made the cake Sheeba made seem not as delicious as it was only a few minutes earlier. This is probably the result of the guests not realizing how important it is to put the lid on the jar but also smacks of negligence as there is an employee in charge of the rooftop who obviously sees no problem with it. The same is true for the table cloths that are infested with lice - a problem that could be solved by washing them more often.

Tempted as I am to give Green Woods 3 stars, I find myself unable to do so and give them 4 instead simply because they are such a warm family and in hope that they get their act together and treat guests more equally in the future.

Room Tip: Don't even consider to stay in the downstairs room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Not Your B
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Sheba and Ash arranged our transfer from Kochi airport over a terrible phone line. When we a rived, we weren't sure what to expect. But they looked after us, helping to arrange our excursions, dining out and onward travel. The breakfasts were good. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. Kochi is definitely worth a couple of night and this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Sheba &Ashley were the most delightful and friendly people you can imagine.
A thoroughj knowledge of the local area and attractions and some great suggestions which we were glad we took.
A nice variety of Indian / western items in the included small buffet style breakfast made this place extremely good value at the price. Rooms basic comfortable and cleaned daily. Beds were firm in a typical Indian style! Greenwoods is set in a beautiful garden Oasis, hidden away amongst the houses. We walked into the centre most days about 10mins or a.very cheap ricshaw ride when feeling lazy!
Would go back there again

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank DownunderAllover
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is the best value in fort cochin! From the warm welcome that sheeba and family give on arrival including maps and local info of where to go. The rooms are large with ensuite bathrooms very comfortable and shared lounge areas and balconies. The roof top cafe where breakfast and afternoon tea is served overlooks the most lovely garden oasis and the home cook breakfast inc in tariff is delucious! We took several of their suggested trips which were terrific value with local people. one of our most enjoyable stays in india!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Rosemary C
Reviewed 27 March 2012

set in a nice garden you find some simple but nice and clean rooms and a bigger house where the owners live. their door is always open so you always can ask for help and information about whatever you wish to do in kerala. they welcome you really warmly and give you a feeling of beeing at home :) and plus: they offer a nice included breakfast!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple