“Family hospitality”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kochi (Cochin)
Riverside Heritage Homestay
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Travelling solo and on my first visit to India, I was slightly apprehensive. I need not have worried because I couldn't have landed with a better family. Not only was I made to feel at home and part of the family, I was advised and assisted in every other aspect of my travels. I truly enjoyed the hospitality and totally fell in love with Kochi, Kerala and India. Annie's cooking was a gentle but authentic introduction to South Indian cuisine. The veranda was a glorious place to relax and gather myself. The backwater view brought peace and tranquility. I could go back tomorrow! On the adventurous side, I can say, that with a lot of help and encouragement, I truly got to know and experience the local transport. I'll hop on a bus any day. Loved the auto rickshaws and was happy with the very prompt and efficient taxi service arranged for me when required. All in all, a very non-touristy experience. Loved it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 153ErikaH

Reviewed 26 March 2013

when i and my wife thought of going to ernakulam, my wife told that resort would be nice to stay. But we didnt get any resort . Checked in trip adviser and told to my wife about the Riverside Heritage Homestay. At first she was unhappy,But we visited there she was fully happy. And the care taken by Annie & Basil uncle is feel like u r in home. And food prepared by Annie was tasty especially pron cutlet was awesome. And the even the charges reasonable .

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
RiversideHomestay, Owner at Riverside Heritage Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thank you for your review. The Prawns cutlet which you had during your visit was made from fresh prawns, which we caught from our backwaters using our own Chinese fishing net. When this fresh prawns got cooked with the magical hands of Annie, it became very tasty.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed here along with my parents on the very first days of my visit to India. We planned for a week-long vacation in Kerala and Lakshadweep, and this was the first leg of our trip. We couldn't have done better. Basil and Annie are the perfect hosts. Their son Neel also gave us company. Staying here, we learnt a whole lot of interesting things about life on the Kerala backwaters.

Visitors would immediately notice a wide array of trees and bird-life that bless this property. We woke up in the morning to sounds of a cuckoo and the accompanying chorus of other birds. There are a couple of woodpeckers, which were sneeky. But when they thought we weren't watching, they would alight by the window-panes of our cottage to admire the reflections of their plumage. Visitors should bring a pair of binoculars. I bought a pair in the airport at Frankfurt and this proved to be a good tool at the Mylanthara house. I also saw squirrels, kingfishers and many water birds at the distance into the backwaters. The house stands right on the shore of the backwaters of the Vembanad lake and offers excellent views of the sunset. The Mylantharas also operate a chinese fishing net, which along with those of the neighbors, provides a pleasing backdrop to the sunset.

What also deserves praise is the delicious cooking of Annie. While having dinner on our first day, I mentioned how unusual it is for me to have food elsewhere from home on my first arrival day in India. Neel joked that I was sure having mom's food, but prepared by his mom. From that meal onwards, we were made to feel as part of the family. My parents have very high standards on the quality of food, and in the end, they too couldn't withhold their praise for the meals. Annie made us the tastiest Kerala specialities, and we couldn't have had a better authentic introduction to this rich cuisine.

I am definitely coming back to this place on my next visit to Kochi and I will recommend the same to my friends. If you want to escape the crowds and the traffic of the city, while still staying at an easy distance to the attractions, make this place your base. The Mylanthara hospitality will get you hooked.

Room Tip: Take the riverside cottage if available. There is a hamac underneath the mango tree to chill out. Yo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kiran V
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We were visiting family in Kerala and wanted to stay in Kochi for a day or two. My cousin suggested Mylanthara House and we stayed there. Basilchettan and Annie Anty are the perfect hosts. We had a wonderful time. The rooms were spacious and all the amenities were very nice. The breakfast was a real feast and a great way to start off the day. The tropical heat was cooled by the natural breeze coming from the lake and it just lulls you into sleep on the easy chair in the verandah. The only thing lacking was ice-cold beer!!!

I would suggest keeping a nice fridge stocked with beer and wine always so that guests can pay on what they need to use, instead of having to go out and buy it.

Would love to stay there again and spend more time during our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Francis C
RiversideHomestay, Owner at Riverside Heritage Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thank you for your suggestion. But as per the Law of the land, Homestays are not allowed to sell any hard liquor, wine or beer to the customers. The guests can bring or buy the above mentioned items from outside & consume within our Homestay. They can utilize our fridge for cooling these items. We can also make arrangements for the guest to get these items from a nearby wine shop run by the Govt. of Kerala.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

We could not have chosen a better place to stay for our first trip to Fort Kochi. Basil and his charming wife made us so welcome and comfortable in their delighfully spacious home. We had just arrived from Paris and a pick up was organised from the airport. Nothing could have been more easy for us. We stayed only two nights but will certainly return to Riverside Heritage Homestay. The two evening meals we enjoyed with the family and the breakfasts were absolutely delicious. We slept soundly in comfortable beds to be woken only by the birds' singing. Absolutely delightful. Basil also made a programme for us for our visit to Fort Kochi and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute. We will return.

Room Tip: All rooms looked to be comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank An0therday
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I along with my family and some close relatives who are foreignors had been to the above heritage resort on January 5th and 6th 2013. It was a pleasant stay with homely atmosphere. We felt like we were staying in our traditional home. The food was very tasty and they are very friendlypeople. I wish to stay there again whenever I get a chance.
Venkitachalam J advocate from chennai

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kishen69
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Perfect out of town homestay in rural area 8 km south of Fort Kochi. Quiet place at backwater. Fishing with chinese net and trip with semi houseboat pn the spot. High quality room, good service and great food! Certainly will come back when in Kochi. Extra bonus was Biennale in Kochi until 13 march 2013.

• Stayed: February 2013