“A good base to explore Cochin”
Review of Tea Bungalow

Tea Bungalow
Ranked #65 of 207 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“A good base to explore Cochin”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights at the start of our trip to India. The hotel was lovely and in a good location (about a 10 min walk) to the main part of Fort Cochin. The staff were great and organised our onward transfer with no problem. The chef made delicious breakfast, the banana pancakes and masala omlet were great.

Room Tip: Had a downstairs room in the annexe, had a lovely feel and a fab bathroom.
Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gem W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
los angeles
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I kind of loved it and didn't all at the same time. Prety place. Wonderful service. It was my birthday while I was there and the staff gave me flowers in the morning at breakfast and helped arrange a lovely birthday surprise from my husband in the late afternoon.

While the pool was a big plus, I wished there had been a comfortable place to relax indoors when the mosquitos go to be too bothersome. On the last morning of our 3 night stay I wandered upstirs and discovered a TV lounge with really horrible brown leather chairs and a little balcony area that was really for the upstairs rooms.

The breakfasts were very good. One morning we asked if it would be possoble to have Dosas, the chef made them special for us the next morning and they were delicious.

The location was OK. Not as central as I would have liked. Our downstairs room was big and the bathroom was great but I didn't enjoy staying on the first floor. We arrived in the middle of the night and they didn't want to show us the upstairs rooms and then we were somewhat settled and didn't bother moving the next day. All in all I think the hotel was a little expensive for what it is.. While we were there, the AC in our room was not working properly. They tried on 3 occassions to fix it, but never did. We returned to Cochin 10 days later and stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: downstairs rooms are bigger, I was told. Upstirs have the balcony and rattan chairs for relaxiing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Tea Bungalow is just ten minutes walk from the Chinese fishing nets. Good location to explore on foot. Small clean and tidy hotel with colonial character. Nice restaurant serving a very good breakfast. The staff are friendly and helpful a nice place to stay. The hotel does not have a liquor license which is a little disappointing as a nice glass of wine would have been lovely with our well prepared meal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed a couple of night after our international flight to Cochin. A lovely restful place to acclimatise. Bedrooms beautiful, air conditioned and all amenities. Had a lunch and an evening meal there which we're good. Only downside is no alcohol license!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Erkrath
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Not far from the center of Kochi. All major sightseeing locations are within walking distance. We found this oasis in the middle of Kochi as a gift of the gods. The management and the staff presents a lovely attentive atmosphere. We enjoyed our stay at Tea Bungalow and we think to enjoy this paradise once more again. We must mention the Indian chef who let me have an instance view in the kitchen and tried to satisfy our palate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Tea Bungalow for four nights. The staff were very attentive and friendly. As a single female traveller, i felt safe and assured by the kind staff. The manager and his right hand man were especially kind.
I stayed in the beautiful Malacca room - the bathroom was magnificent! Although the first room in the building near the street, I heard almost no traffic at all. The bed was comfortable and the linen crisp and white. The rooms were very clean, even by western standards.
The breakfasts were lovely, served by the pool, witgh a choice of inidan or western. The restaurant was very good, I had a Kerala curry one night and ravioli the other. They were both excellent. I was told the new chef trained at the near by boutique Malabar House.
The location was good, slightly away from the hussel of the chinesse fishing net area but still 10 min walking distance to all main sights in Fort Cochin and the Dutch Palace.
I had a wonderful stay. Unusually for me I have no complaints at all!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michelle K
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I had two nights here and we could not have been happier. The room was lovely - very clean and comfortable and I loved the unique style of the bathroom. The staff were really friendly and the breakfast was excellent with a lot of choice. I would definitely recommend this.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple