All reviewsfort cochinboutique hotelhuge bathroompool area issmall hotelcolonial buildingold colonialno alcoholfirst floorwe loved our staylovely roomchinese fishing netsmain buildingrooms are spacioushot waterpleasant stayindia
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at Tea Bungalow. There were a few changes since the first, which to my surprise, made for an even better experience.

The reception is now located at the front entrance. This means you are greeted by warm, welcoming staff each time you arrive.

I stayed in am the Galleo room both times and found it to be a spacious, comfortable room.

Since it was off season, it was a quiet stay. I enjoyed visiting with staff and the manager, Mr. Francis. He gave me many suggestions as to cutting costs for future holidays. I found his advice most helpful.

Breakfast was delightful and more than adequate.

One change I noticed and missed from last year was fresh flowers in the rooms (and petals on the bed nightly). While it wasn't a big change, I did miss this extra touch. It added to the ambiance.

My only suggestion is to improve the wifi. It cuts out a lot and had a weak signal in my room.

Other than that, I enjoyed my stay. I found the staff to be attentive and helpful. They even secured my excess baggage while I left for a few days to go to Thekkady. Going the extra mile to help a guest is really where one gains loyal guests. This stood out as a bonus that made up for the little things I've mentioned.

Tip straight from Mr. Francis - always book directly with the hotel. That's where the best rates can be had.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was the last hotel on our trip and it was very pleasant. The rooms are very large as the bathrooms and very well presented. Meals were a little expensive, but not breathtakingly so. The main problem being as we were there in the low season many of the dishes on the menu were not available but my wife and I managed to find enough we liked. Staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the floor above the reception area are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here in February 2014 with my fiancée and we had the most relaxing experience. The staff was so hospitable and welcoming we felt right at home from the beginning. The food was so fresh and delicious, we ate every meal we could there! We had the best room there the Cochin room with the view (balcony) of the pool and outdoor seating of the restaurant.

This hotel is perfectly situated if you enjoy investigating the sites and sounds! Many attractions (Dutch Palace, Chinese Fishing nets, the beach etc) are near by and are a safe walking or Tok-tok (taxi) distance away. It was the only place in India that we felt completely comfortable walking around (without being bothered or run over by cars!). There are lots of things to see! We also took advantage of the Ayruveda massage place close by to the hotel. I don't remember the name of it, but the hotel had recommended it and it was a great recommendation!

This place is perfect for couples, family, alone... basically anyone. All your needs are met. Weloved our room! It was so beautiful and upscale. We had WiFi, a flat screen TV, AC and just the decor of the room was perfect.

We learned that some expat engineers working on projects in Cochin had organized with their work to stay at the Tea Bungalow instead of the more commonly used hotels (impersonal, large). We can tell you those Italian expats had it right!

Room Tip: The Cochin room is the best room, it private (no neighbours) and has a beautiful balcony!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

An tastefully decorated hotel in a historic building just outside the town centre. Rooms are spacious and generally of a high standard, each with its own nautical theme (we stayed in the 'Mauritius' room). Touches to be expected from an expensive hotel were evident: Bathrobes and slippers, adequate bathroom supplies (including shaving kit, dental kit and hairdryer), etc. In addition, the hotel has a nice swimming pool.

However, at normal rates, I would deem the hotel overpriced. (As we visited out of peak season, we were able to negotiate an off-season rate at quite a significant discount).

For an expensive, 4* hotel, service levels were not quite up to scratch e.g. only one waiter covering the breakfast shift and delays or errors with certain requests. This may, however, be due to fewer staff being employed in quieter periods. (Here it must be noted that staff were at all times friendly, courteous and willing to assist.) In addition, the WiFi was patchy and temperamental, we at times had difficulty getting hot water in our shower and breakfast, while adequate, was not what I would expect from a hotel pitched at this level. The hotel could also do with an overall 'spruce up' and small details (marks on towels, a stain/patch of damp on our bedroom wall) detract from the overall experience.

All in all we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. However, I would have felt very disappointed if I had paid full room rates. During peak season (at full rates), I would suggest comparing a number of different hotels in the same price range before making a decision.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Tea Bungalow is a little away from the main area but still in a good location and quieter. Our room (Galle) was beautiful, with an enormous bathroom and shower. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast wasn't great but OK. A good value location for a stay in Cochin.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends