We spent two nights at The Tea Bungalow, using it as a base from which to explore the many delights of Fort Kochi. The property is unique in that it's small and intimate enough to feel like a (very large) home yet large and spread out enough to still afford you plenty or privacy.
The rooms are spacious and very well appointed. Wooden flooring, high ceilings, four poster beds- the whole colonial shebang, so to speak. The bathrooms are pretty huge and very inviting.
What really made our stay though was the service. The manager, Mr. K.P Francis exudes old world gentility and warmth and always went out of his way to offer us helpful tips, suggestions or just a friendly conversation. His team were all uniformly polite and helpful and really made us feel at home.
The Tea Bungalow is not located on the main tourist strip by the beach however, but it's a short 7-8 minute walk away so this is hardly a deal breaker.
All in all, we had a wonderful stay. Highly recommended, especially for couples.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dempo Resorts and the historic Tea BungalowThe guiding force behind Tea Bungalow is Mr.Vivek Dempo founder of Dempo Resorts. The Dempo Family is one of the oldest families of Goa, who controlled the coconut trade from the 16th to the 19th Century. They also owned large cargo sailing ships which sailed from Goa to the African Ports of Portuguese colonies like Mozambique and Angola in the Indian Ocean.The restoration and decoration of Tea Bungalow has been a labour of love for Mr. Dempo. He has crafted an escape from the humdrum, noisy, soul-killing rush of everyday life. Tea Bungalow offers a tranquil place to step away for a while, to centre your thoughts and get the balance you need.Tea Bungalow occupies pride of place in the heart of the exclusive heritage area of Fort Cochin. Cochin (Kochi) is made up of three districts: Ernakulam, Wellington Island and Fort Cochin. The bungalow was built in 1912 and run as a workshop and office of a UK Company called United Carpets engaged in the manufacture and export of coir and spices. Brooke Bond the tea company bought the bungalow in 1956 and christened it Brooke Bond Bungalow which housed the top management of Brooke Bond & Company. Dignitaries used this bungalow for important meetings. Its history of spice and tea brought about its new avatar - Tea Bungalow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Tea Bungalow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tea Bungalow Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Tea Bungalow Kochi (Cochin), Kerala, India