“A classy, colonial home-away-from-home.”
Review of Tea Bungalow

Tea Bungalow
Ranked #62 of 205 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“A classy, colonial home-away-from-home.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We spent two nights at The Tea Bungalow, using it as a base from which to explore the many delights of Fort Kochi. The property is unique in that it's small and intimate enough to feel like a (very large) home yet large and spread out enough to still afford you plenty or privacy.

The rooms are spacious and very well appointed. Wooden flooring, high ceilings, four poster beds- the whole colonial shebang, so to speak. The bathrooms are pretty huge and very inviting.

What really made our stay though was the service. The manager, Mr. K.P Francis exudes old world gentility and warmth and always went out of his way to offer us helpful tips, suggestions or just a friendly conversation. His team were all uniformly polite and helpful and really made us feel at home.

The Tea Bungalow is not located on the main tourist strip by the beach however, but it's a short 7-8 minute walk away so this is hardly a deal breaker.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay. Highly recommended, especially for couples.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor of the main building. We got Galle (all the rooms are named after...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 24 July 2014

They are very flexible and accommodating with requests . I wanted to check out late and they didn't charge as it was lean season . The staff are friendly smiling and that is how it should be in a small boutique property. The front desk speaks good English and communicates well. And property is cosy and well maintained and clean bathrooms !
Definitely would recommend eating there as well .

Room Tip: Book rooms on the first floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I loved this place as soon as I called them to make a booking for a weekend getaway with my husband, they are a very accommodating and allowed for an early check in and gave us the best room for regular rates.
Highly recommend the Mango pancakes here.
The bed is comfortable and the bathroom is well stocked with big mirrors, toilet papers and a hair dryer.
Only downside is that one has to wait atleast 7 minutes with the shower on to get hot water but having said that, once that happens it is pure bliss!
its a bit on the pricey side but definitely worth it.
Loved it

Room Tip: I suggest the premium room for privacy and a balcony :)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laila Z
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at Tea Bungalow. There were a few changes since the first, which to my surprise, made for an even better experience.

The reception is now located at the front entrance. This means you are greeted by warm, welcoming staff each time you arrive.

I stayed in am the Galleo room both times and found it to be a spacious, comfortable room.

Since it was off season, it was a quiet stay. I enjoyed visiting with staff and the manager, Mr. Francis. He gave me many suggestions as to cutting costs for future holidays. I found his advice most helpful.

Breakfast was delightful and more than adequate.

One change I noticed and missed from last year was fresh flowers in the rooms (and petals on the bed nightly). While it wasn't a big change, I did miss this extra touch. It added to the ambiance.

My only suggestion is to improve the wifi. It cuts out a lot and had a weak signal in my room.

Other than that, I enjoyed my stay. I found the staff to be attentive and helpful. They even secured my excess baggage while I left for a few days to go to Thekkady. Going the extra mile to help a guest is really where one gains loyal guests. This stood out as a bonus that made up for the little things I've mentioned.

Tip straight from Mr. Francis - always book directly with the hotel. That's where the best rates can be had.

• Stayed June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was the last hotel on our trip and it was very pleasant. The rooms are very large as the bathrooms and very well presented. Meals were a little expensive, but not breathtakingly so. The main problem being as we were there in the low season many of the dishes on the menu were not available but my wife and I managed to find enough we liked. Staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the floor above the reception area are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here in February 2014 with my fiancée and we had the most relaxing experience. The staff was so hospitable and welcoming we felt right at home from the beginning. The food was so fresh and delicious, we ate every meal we could there! We had the best room there the Cochin room with the view (balcony) of the pool and outdoor seating of the restaurant.

This hotel is perfectly situated if you enjoy investigating the sites and sounds! Many attractions (Dutch Palace, Chinese Fishing nets, the beach etc) are near by and are a safe walking or Tok-tok (taxi) distance away. It was the only place in India that we felt completely comfortable walking around (without being bothered or run over by cars!). There are lots of things to see! We also took advantage of the Ayruveda massage place close by to the hotel. I don't remember the name of it, but the hotel had recommended it and it was a great recommendation!

This place is perfect for couples, family, alone... basically anyone. All your needs are met. Weloved our room! It was so beautiful and upscale. We had WiFi, a flat screen TV, AC and just the decor of the room was perfect.

We learned that some expat engineers working on projects in Cochin had organized with their work to stay at the Tea Bungalow instead of the more commonly used hotels (impersonal, large). We can tell you those Italian expats had it right!

Room Tip: The Cochin room is the best room, it private (no neighbours) and has a beautiful balcony!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

An tastefully decorated hotel in a historic building just outside the town centre. Rooms are spacious and generally of a high standard, each with its own nautical theme (we stayed in the 'Mauritius' room). Touches to be expected from an expensive hotel were evident: Bathrobes and slippers, adequate bathroom supplies (including shaving kit, dental kit and hairdryer), etc. In addition, the hotel has a nice swimming pool.

However, at normal rates, I would deem the hotel overpriced. (As we visited out of peak season, we were able to negotiate an off-season rate at quite a significant discount).

For an expensive, 4* hotel, service levels were not quite up to scratch e.g. only one waiter covering the breakfast shift and delays or errors with certain requests. This may, however, be due to fewer staff being employed in quieter periods. (Here it must be noted that staff were at all times friendly, courteous and willing to assist.) In addition, the WiFi was patchy and temperamental, we at times had difficulty getting hot water in our shower and breakfast, while adequate, was not what I would expect from a hotel pitched at this level. The hotel could also do with an overall 'spruce up' and small details (marks on towels, a stain/patch of damp on our bedroom wall) detract from the overall experience.

All in all we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. However, I would have felt very disappointed if I had paid full room rates. During peak season (at full rates), I would suggest comparing a number of different hotels in the same price range before making a decision.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple