All reviews fort cochin boutique hotel pool area is small hotel colonial building no alcohol first floor room was large lovely room chinese fishing nets main building hot water india poolside heritage mattancherry
Reviewed 17 November 2017

We chose the Tea Bungalow as it looked like a charming colonial style hotel full of character and we were not disappointed. The staff were delightful, helpful, friendly and efficient. Our room was beautiful and spotlessly clean with a large bathroom. The hotel is about 15 mins walk or a tuk-tuk to the Chinese Nets, St Francis Church, restaurants and cafes. A tuk-tuk ride away from Mattancherry, Jew Street and synagogue. It was quiet and set in lovely gardens. Breakfast was in the courtyard by the pool and delicious. We ate at Tea Bungalow on the first night as my friend was arriving later in the evening. Meal was delicious and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The hotel arranged pick-ups from the airport to the hotel - all very smooth. I loved this hotel and would definitely stay there again. Book it, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2017

We chose the Tea Bungalow as it looked like a lovely historical building and because of its location in Fort Cochin. It met our needs on both fronts.

We booked directly through the hotel - which necessitated an international funds transfer of the deposit, but that was not difficult to arrange, as we had done this on prevfious occasions.

Thye hotel staff arranged a transfer from Allepey to Fort Kochin and this went smoothly.

On arrival at the hotel, the reception person was friendly and efficient. Our room (Heritage Premium Room for the 3 nights ) was on the first floor (please be aware there is no elevator) overlooking the pool (no disturbance) and verdant garden. The room itself was clean and beautifully appointed with timber furniture in keeping with the heritage of the hotel.

The included breakfast - toast, fruit and eggs was delicious.

The location was great - walking distance to Fort Kochi beach promenade, (the must see) Chinese fishing nets, St. Francis Church, Santa Cruz Basilica and many good restaurants and cafes.

Definitely a highlight of our stay in India.

Room Tip: We had the Heritage Premium Room (we think Cochin Room) with our own private balcony / anteroom - recommend this if available
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Pros

Lovely little colonial building with a lovely outside courtyard and pool. The staff are very, very helpful & attentive & the (limited) food choices are absolutely great. We could not fault the quality of the food - it's fantastic. The biryani is a must.

Cons

The wifi doesn't reach the bedrooms - odd! And the breakfast choice is extremely limited.

I've given this 5 stars despite the cons because it really is a lovely, sympathetically maintained building. We were upgraded upon arrival because we needed a bed for our 16 year old in our room, so were given the 'suite'. The shower is HUGE!

I would definitely recommend for simple, well appointed, clean & authentic accommodation, friendly staff and great food.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for two weeks in September and had an amazing time. The cleanliness of this property was 1st class and always a delight when I returned from my outings. The staff were very attentive, friendly and accommodating to my needs. I met the owner "Vivex" on my last day and he went the extra mile to get his chef to cook me up a feast of a seafood platter, which was delicious. I just want to say a big THANK YOU to all the staff who made my first time in India a memorable and comfortable stay at the "Tea Bungalow" I will return in the future.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Angela C
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Small but beautiful place... more options needed for breakfast. The staff went out of their way to take care of my little one and my family. Amongst everything else the staff was the best part hands down!!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family