All reviews fort cochin boutique hotel huge bathroom pool area is small hotel colonial building old colonial no alcohol first floor we loved our stay lovely room chinese fishing nets main building rooms are spacious hot water pleasant stay india
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in Tea Bungalow as part of our honeymoon. Our room was lovely, the hote was peaceful and the pool was great. Staff were lovely and full of advice. Breakfast was very good too with fresh fruit, omelettes and pancakes.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2018

The hotel was in a peaceful location with lovely gardens and an attractive swimming pool. Our room however was not in the main building and we never got any hot water. This was not at all good. The staff tried to help, but said to run the tap for a long time, this did not help and it was a terrible waste of water. The breakfast was not nearly as good as the other hotels that we have stayed in, including less expensive ones. No internet in the bedroom, only in the dining room, another negative.

Room Tip: Get a more expensive room to be in the main building.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2018

I booked in here because I wanted the comfort and ambience of a hotel in a Colonial building here in Old Cochin. And I wanted to swim! I made an excellent choice.

My room, Calicut, was attractive, welcoming and comfortable, with doors opening onto small balconies, air-conditioning and a surprisingly modern and stylish bathroom with large walk-shower. After a few weeks in India, I was delighted to find a kettle in my room, with coffee and tea-making facilities. And a TV that never interests me,

I spent a lovely, peaceful day by the Pool, swimming in the clean warm water. Staff were attentive, polite and helpful. The food I ate was very nice.

The only reason I mark this with 4 rather than 5 stars is that, for me a vegetarian and healthy eater and drinker, the menu for both food and drink was limited. I’ve not been in India for 20 years, and have been surprised, to say the least, at the increase in the availability of fizzy drinks and junk food. There were only 4 choices for Vegetarians, and when I asked for Green Tea Bags for my room (I may be English, but I don’t drink black tea or Nescafé) there was only One to be found. Nothing herbal at all.

I threw the Staff into a tizzy by asking for Fresh Ginger and Lemon to be put into Hot Water, with some Honey on the side. This is available in every cafe I went into in Fort Cochin, but the staff here had never heard of it. After much persuasion I managed to get it made and it was perfect. I hope they take my advice and add it to their Menu. I’m not the only European who’s keen to eat and drink healthily.

Overall, I loved this hotel and would certainly return. I just hope they rethink their Menus and offer we Vegetarians a more interesting selection in future.

Room Tip: There are only 10 here, they all seem lovely, some are just bigger with four-poster beds.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at the tea bungalow. The hotel is an oasis in the middle of the noisy & dirty Kochi.
The service is very courteous and friendly.
We booked the more expensive (honeymoon) suite. This was the right decision, because this room is far away from the noisy street.
The rooms are clean & were cleaned every day. The bed was very good.
The bathroom was clean & corresponds to western standards.
Breakfast is really good: fresh squeezed juice, tea, coffee. Pancakes, various omelette types and toast with jam.

The coffee is really recommended!
The pool is clean and well-kept. There are towels on the pool chairs.
If we come back to Kochi, we will stay in tea bungalow again.
Clear recommendation!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2018

A very charming place this is indeed. Very pretty frome the outside to look at. It has a nice little pool, with two or three sunbeds and tables. Staff are very good and polite. There are a few downsides to the sort and location of your room. We had the room called Goa, very big, but you open your bedroom door right into reception? we did ask if this room is noisy and was told no. Well that was rubbish. with wooden floors above the noise was horrendous.People only stay a day or two because of travelling and that is a big problem if you are in the main block (room Goa) we were woken at 4 in the morning with the sound of a radio and thump thump thump of every footstep as the people upstairs check out at 5am yes 5am. they then come down to reception and natter right outside our beroom door, again not good, We had this the two days we were there, so very little sleep indeed, also at this point our bathroom was poolside and people were having breakfast right out side our bathroom one metre away, we could hear every word that was said and they had to listen to us using the toilet a metre away with a open window with just a little insect screen covering it. This really needs addressing. all in all a very noisy room, and not thought out, what with putting people above you that have to get up at 4am and make a load of noise.

Room Tip: not above the kitchen or next to reception
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple