All reviews neemrana hotels the chinese fishing nets neemrana group old world charm the vasco da gama antique furniture common areas swimming pool location is fantastic heritage property the entire property huge room fort cochin tiger prawns walking distance the ground floor manager mr
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Very nice and genuine place to stay at. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are super nice. The location of the hotel is perfect. They even got a small hotel shop.

The only downside of this place is that the food of the restaurant is really bad.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2010

We stayed there for 2 nights and the overall experience was simply awesome. It is a real "non-hotel" experience as they claim. Rooms and the interiors were of real colonial type with nice quiet atmosphere. The staff is extremely courteos and ever helpful. The breakfast option and spread could be little better and except this we enjoyed every bit of our stay here!

Recommended for anyone who want to experience a different kind of place to stay!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2010

My Husband and I stayed at the Tower House for one night while passing through Cochin. We loved the property's uniqueness and history. We arrived early and we allowed the use of the ground floor room until such time as our second floor room was made available. There is a large drawing room which would have been fantastic to sit in if the lighting was better. There is a large beautiful pool with plenty of towels and sun chairs. Service was excellent with everyone really making an effort. Breakfast was great! We had the cheese omelette, which was the best omelette I've ever eaten! Not a bad offering at a reasonable rate .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We decided on spending a few nights at Fort Kochi in Kerala (which their marketing agencies have dubbed as "God's Own Country"), after we found that the weekend ship tour to the idyllic island of Kalpeni in the Lakshadweep stood cancelled.

I searched in Trip Advisor specifically for the properties run by Neemrana Hotels, and I did find very few reviews on Tower House (one of them pretty critical) that somewhat helped and intrigued me.

I was easily able to book online, and spent three nights at this refurbished "Non-Hotel" that used tobe the guest house of a leading shipping company. No wonder it is so ideally located just at the mouth of entrance to the Kochi harbour, overlooking the Chinese Nets and the Vasco Da Gama Square.

The immead caveat is that this is a "Non-Hotel" Hotel concept that Neemrana Management boasts of. Simply speaking, you may not expect the usual "in-your-face" or even the subtler services that accompany a reasonable starred hotel, e.g., Room Service, 24 Hr Cafe. Having said that, I must admit we did not miss mouch since there were well-trained chefs, waiters and cleaners around, just when you needed their services. There was regular turndown services, timely help if required for any pick-up or airport drop bookings or local sightseeing. I am still not sure what really constitues service in a 'Non-Hotel" and what all do not. But I can tell you well-trained and enthusiastic staff, and kind words go a long way, and we did have helpful folk form the Non-Hotel bring us up boiled water in our flask, to mix for our child's milk!

The rooms varied as per original sizes, but the refurbishment made them spacious and comfortable. My wife and I marveled at the exquisitely light-looking furniture. Our daughter regaled in ample space in our room where she spread around her world of toys, books and other material distractions. The air-conditioning was a bit let-down though, for unlike my wife, I like it really cold .... and given the sultry Kochi clime, the AC is just the thing one cannot compromise with.

The pool was nice, though the night watchman seemed to double as the Pool Cleaner in the morning, standing at the infinity edge and gently picking out the fallen leaves. I just wished he didn't do it with his shoes on!

I do read a lot of Fort Kochi traveler complain about crows dipping their morning beaks into swimming pools. It did not seem all that bad when I was in the pool. Perhaps shimmering mirror strips on the adjacent trees could help reduce the number of crows, but evidently it is somethng that cannot be avoided - hence, like many things in India, it is something to be lived with! I must hasten to point thatthe crows normally do not bother you during a meal, unless you happen to leave unattended a table full of breakfast tid-bits. Or actually invite to share goodies with htem, which my daughter did!

While booking, do check in advance (you may call them too) if your room/suite faces the front of the property (abutting the Square). They have nice views but can get a bit noisy owing to early morning denizens in the Square, or the informal eateries on the side lane that livens up very early and stays open through the day.

If you are staying for long in the area, do consider spending time strolling early in the morning or in the evenings, across the island. There are indeed some gems of not-so-celebrated Architectural History here - a truly old Synagogue, some Catherdals, a Jain Temple, and a Prince's Palace. Try and spread your custom for lunches and dinners across several other joints which have suprisingly good and varied offerings when it comes to their food, view or ambience.

And do try the Ayurveda Massage, if only for once! The Tower House does not have a Spa yet, but they will be happy to reecommend or book one for you. The one they speak about might be a tad long a sultry walk awaythough, so one might consider the others which are but just a stone throw's away. They could be a little more dearer, but If you are paying in Euros (and many Fort Kochi establishments proudly announce their prices in that currency only!) it may not be that sharp a pinch. But then, that's a debate best left for ECB Fat Cats toiling away in Frankfurt!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Delighted with the look of the Tower House, our suite (Mathieu) was huge and comfortable with loads of antique furniture (no lack of chairs here!) Air con worked well and the bathroom was also big and well stocked with nice toiletries. Plenty of hot water (though cold would have been fine anyway as the temperature outside was 40 degrees). We enjoyed the swimming pool in the afternoons when it was too hot for sightseeing. The only problem was the awful smell from the crows in the trees but I guess that isn't up to the hotel. We were disappointed by the breakfast and only took dinner once because there are so many better restaurants in Cochi. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple