“The KATHAKALI show”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$29.00*
and up
Kochi Evening Excursion: Kathakali Dance Show including Dinner and Hotel...
Ranked #50 of 186 things to do in Kochi (Cochin)
More attraction details
Owner description: This is one of the pioneer centre for ethnic culture and traditions.
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This was an unplanned event, but for sure we didn't regret this. This place was very near from our hotel- air-conditioned and comfortable . The ticket price was Rs 250 per person. The show started at 5pm, and we were on time for it. They started of with makeup application process which is really a long and intricate process - as you know Kathakali is noted for the attractive make-up. Then, they started of with the demonstration, where the dancer explains to us the gestures and facial expressions used followed by the stage play.
It was great and totally worth it! As an art-lover, i was mesmerized with the dance and the way they performed. Once the play is done, you can go a take a picture with the dancers. One will really enjoy this, and it was great way to preserve and promote one's culture!

1  Thank Preejashini

Reviewed 26 January 2014

What a great show, you must go and watch the application of make up, here you get the opportunity to meet the muscians and actors, a thoroughly enjoyable experience. This was 'Theatre' at its best, the actors using facial expressions, and body language. The use of the eyes was simply amazing and I only wished I videoed it, I was entranced by the performers,

1  Thank Martin H
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Hai try for Houseboat in Cochin Backwaters Starting From Bolgatty Ferry jetty Covering The backwaters & Rivers of Cochin , Check in is just opposite side of Marine Drive Easy access from Railway station 3 kms,Cochin airport 29 kms, Bus station 4 Kms.Boats are very neat & Clean ,Day Cruise & Conference facility.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We did not plan this. I was casually checking with the hotel front desk if I could get a chance.to watch Kathakali. The front desk person at The Fern, Beaumonde came back in a few hours and told us there are 2 places close to the hotel where we could watch Kathakali the very same evening.

4 things that I used to remember Kerala for before my trip
1) Coconut trees - Aappam,Coconut Milk
2) Houseboats and the backwaters
3) Kathakali
4) Kalaripayattu

Kathakali was definitely in my list, but was not sure if that was possible in that trip.
The front desk person told us that we have to inform beforehand to block our seats.
At 3 PM, I confirmed to the front desk person and he told that the cost of the ticket was 250Rs/person.

We went there by 5 PM. watched the make up for 1 hour.
Then came the actual Kathakali dance.

In 1 hour, this was the best that they could showcase.
Good Introduction to Kathakali.
Eyeball movements,Facial muscles and nerves are excellently controlled by these artists.
This kind of mastery exhibited by these artists is a result of hours and hours of practice.
The narration and drums were done by the Director.

My 5 year old son was patient enough to sit thru the entire 2 hours,

We were swarmed by Foreigners in the small hall. There were a few Indians in the last row.
We enjoyed the show and felt that this was the best the organizers could do in a 1 hour show.

I would definitely recommend this to first timers.to experience Kathakali.

1  Thank Arun S
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We only planned last minute to see a kathakali dance at Kochin - and boy were we rewarded! We had such an unforgettable experience being escorted on an enchanting journey by the kathakali troupe. The story teller had the best voice and a beautiful story to tell. The actors were very professional at their art took us through all human emotions during the performance. Come at least half an hour early to see actors prepare for the show. You can book online one day before. It usually starts around 5 30 PM.

1  Thank SabOhara