“Wonderful View of the Arabian Sea”

Old Lighthouse Bristow Hotel
Ranked #183 of 212 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 9 October 2013

It took about 1 hour from the airport to the hotel by taxi. When we arrived at the hotel, we were impressed by a wonderful view of the Arabian sea behind the entrance. We took a breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The sea breeze was so comfortable that we spent a lot of time just looking at the sea and waves. The hotel is best rated by its location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Reviewed 5 October 2013

the bristow finds its mention in almost all historic references in kochi , and we almost did not stay here as we good a little worried about the property as we read the reviews on trip advisor , well when we reached there we were pleasantly surprised and for the first time what the hotel web site says is correct, the location is excellent , the rooms are good and well appointed , the service in the restaurant is a bit slow, however all those who come here are on a vacation so we think the time doesn't matter as much and the view from the restaurant is spectacular , you dont actually miss much . the rooms have some mosquitoes but manageable, the large suites are excellent , the pool villas are not so great and plus the hotel keeps having parties which is a problem , the staff is good and helpful, in all a good experience , if you are staying in fort kochi - THIS IS THE PLACE.

Room Tip: avoid the pool rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank himanshududwadkar
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This hotel is situated by the banks of the sea and our room was facing it. We had an amazing couple of days here. The food spead is very limited but the staff are really friendly and always willing to help. You might want to avoid the rainy season as you might not be able to spend enough time enjoying the outdoors of the hotel

Room Tip: We took the Deluxe Room, 1 Double Bed, Sea View. I would strongly recommend this as the balcony face...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2013

A nice hotel with helpful, efficient staff and comfortable, modern rooms. The on-site restaurant is a real strength, with both the lunchtime thali and the breakfast choices we sampled being excellent.

The downsides, for us, were cleanliness and cost. The towels provided were all stained and the room smelt damp (we visited during the monsoon and experienced other hotels with damp during our trip so maybe it can't be helped) Also, the pool was a little un-loved with lots of leaves and other debris floating in it. Overall, whilst we had a good stay, I feel that the hotel is a little over-priced for what you get, in comparison to other similar hotels on the western coast.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I thought a lot before writing a review for this hotel, I shouldn't give it a "Terrible" rating as the property is beautiful and nice location in Kochi but unfortunately the kind of experience these guys have given me left me with no other choice to mark it as terrible.

Booked the hotel using a promotion running on Groupon and I think that's my big mistake. I had lots of trouble with this hotel, so here is point wise summary:

1. Tried contacting the hotel several time one day before my travel to ensure if the booking is confirmed but no one picked up the call. Next day, I was going to check in at the hotel at 7:00 PM and after trying to contact them by email or phone I finally contacted their manager at 6:00 PM and asked her to ensure that my room is ready as I am very tired after the journey, she ensured that room would be ready.

Once we reached the hotel, and waiting for 15-20 minutes I was informed that our room AC is not working,WOW!!! This is happening when we called them 1 hour before coming to hotel and that too 7'o clock in the evening, Pathetic...

Since I paid for the highest category room in the hotel and no other room available in the category, we were asked to stay in their garden view room(Lowest category room) for one night which was literally a closed box and stinking badly, they wiped the room after that and gave it to us by 8:00 PM which was still stinking, after complaint they put lots of lemon grass smell in the room terrible. TV was not working, after the complaint they changed it. Next day we got the room of our category (the best room in the hotel) that was a actually beautiful room.
Just a small point the best room TV was not correctly aligned :)

We were on a holiday and didn't want to spoil my mood, I tried hard & didn't lose my patience while all these things were happening till Check out.
When I asked very casually try to compensate what they did to us, the guys over their called their manager and she(Ms Shabnam) talked to me like she did a great favor by offering the best room to us which was actually of the same category for what I paid for. She offered me a mere INR 400 discount which we refused to take and left the hotel.

I would say the way she talked to me, that really tested my patience. Try to avoid this hotel if you don't want to spoil your holidays.
One more thing for the 2 nights which we stayed, their swimming pool was not in working condition, they were giving different excuses for the same, looking at the pool I think it never works! It was in bad condition.

Room Tip: If you still choosing this pathetic hotel the only room which you should ask for is Room no. 4, Sea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed for three or four nights and found the staff very friendly and helpful. The food served in the restaurant was the best we tasted in our three weeks in India - beautifully presented and Robert talked us through it and introduced us to new items.The position of the Hotel is great. Three minutes walk from Anhokhi and Fabindia - shop here first to get a benchmark on quality and prices. 10 minutes walk to the Chinese fishing nets and the main harbour. The hotel is right on the beach and it is a lovely building. The twin room we booked wasn't available and the replacement didn't have air conditioning. This wasn't a problem as it was the monsoon season and cool, but we were disappointed by the rusty old fan provided as it is an expensive hotel..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Old Lighthouse even though it was the monsoon season and I was the only one using the pool. Service was sometimes slow but the staff were always friendly and helpful. Particularly impressed by the main chef who would happily make meals to suit time and tastes.
It isn't cheap so we were disappointed when the whole place was taken over by a film crew for one of our two days - rather spoilt the whole ambiance to say the least. Asked for a discount because of this but noone with the appropriate authority was available!
Beautiful situation and very nicely presented bedrooms

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple