Vintage Inn
US$31
US$63
US$59
  • Pool
PJ Princess Regency(Vypin Island)
US$47
US$39
Aiswarya Hotel(Ernakulam)(Great Value!)
US$30
US$24
Agoda.com
All reviewsquiet streethot waterchinese fishing netsfort cochintibetan restaurantclean roomswithout acbudget optionshort walkguest houseperfect locationprincess sthome staykathakali centreclean placejew townac room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2014

In early 2012 I had to spend five days in Kochi. For a change I thought of trying out a home stay. Went to the net and found this place with a quaint name - Vintage Inn. The reviews seemed to be okay. I called up the contact person Mr. Anthony and confirmed my booking. I was pleasantly surprised when the room rental was quoted at under a thousand rupees. I also needed space to park my car as I was travelling by road from Bangalore. Anthony assured me that there was enough space to park. But then, as they say, seeing is believing. When I got there I was delighted to find the place living up to my expectations. The rooms are large and airy. Nothing fancy but clean and with all the basic conveniences. Food is not part of the deal but breakfast is provided at a nominal cost. You have choice of Indian and Continental. The place is very centrally located and the water front is barely a kilometer away. The home stay is very secure and at night the gate is locked with a watchman on duty There are a number of restaurants in the vicinity of Vintage Inn. So eating out is not an issue. The place is family run with Anthony's mother and younger brother Vinod chipping in. After my initial stay I have always patronised the Vintage Inn, even though it is a bit away from the mainland. I last stayed at the place in December 2013 with my wife. The island does have a ferry service which is very convenient and the crossing takes just seven minutes with a frequency of every fifteen minutes. The last ferry leaves Vypeen Island, which is connected by road to Ernakulam, for Fort Kochi around10 pm. Overall, I found the Vintage Inn to be good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Varun N
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed for a total of 5 nights in 3 different stints at the Vintage Inn as we travelled around Kerala.

We found it to be generally clean, spacious (especially the bathroom, which had a powerful, hot shower), we liked that there was a mosquito screen so we could have the windows open at night. With the fan on we found that we therefore didn't need the A/C on, which was available if we'd wanted it. The location is convenient within fort Cochin, about 15 min stroll from the Chinese fishing nets and 20 from the ernakulam ferry. Finally, we found the staff there to be unfailingly friendly, available (at all hours) and accomodating to our needs such as lending scissors, storing our toddy in their fridge and storing our bags for a few days when we popped off to a hill station. Also, their WiFi was free and fast enough to Skype back to the family in the UK.

To improve, not much really, I think the mattresses could be upgraded - they are a bit thin. Also, having more than one pillow as standard (or extras in the wardrobe) would be good.

Overall, fully recommend and would happily revisit!

Additionally, we have to recommend the tuk-tuk driver who showed us around Cochin. Jithu (pron. G2) was fantastic, seems to know everyone, takes us to non touristy as well as touristy places and didn't just take us where he'd get commission for bringing us from the owners. He speaks very good English and was invaluable for us getting better spices, food, coffee, tea etc... As well as at local prices. The money we gave him for a full day (1200 rupees) was more than saved in cheaper, better purchases! His number is +919895155042

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaveC_SG
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Excellent value in Fort Cochin, just 2 minutes from the basilica. It was very quiet when I was there, so got a good night's sleep. The staff were generally friendly and helpful with information. The ac room was big with a large bathroom and hbo on the top. I would certainly return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Price asked by mail but obtained no answer.
Still got a very spacious and clean room with a large bathroom on the first floor.
Everything in the guesthouse shows very neat and well maintained.
In the bathroom there is hot water all day which is exceptional for India!
The room is cleaned upon request, this also applies to the changing of the towels room was cleaned and towels changed every day).
There is a very good Wifi reception in the room.
The owner is very fiendly and you can ask him everything.
Breakfast is a la carte (sheap price) and can be taken outside on the upstairs terrace.
However, the mattresses of the beds are rock hard, fortunately we found 2 extra mattresses we put on top of each other to make it softer.
Location: in the heart of Cochin, yet in a very quiet area.
Price/quality: definitely recommended!

This review is made taking into account the Indian hotel standards.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick V
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The Vintage Inn offers spacious, light rooms at a much cheaper cost than a number of its competitors. Centrally located, yet tucked down a side street, the Vintage Inn is one of the quietest hotels we've stayed in in India.

The only negative is the lack of a nice communal area or restaurant - but this is only a small issue, as you will spend a large amount of your time in Kochi in any number of the excellent cafes and restaurants that are nearby

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple