“Perfect place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 424 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
London
“Perfect place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

The Daniels are the most welcoming hosts and staying here was a great start to the holiday. We arrived at 4.30 in the morning and Mr Daniel was waiting to greet us. The room was simple, clean and comfortable. Mrs Daniel is a fantastic cook and breakfasts were delicious and plentiful with something different every day. We chose to have Keralan breakfasts, but they were happy to prepare western food as well. We were also offered delicious home made snacks in the afternoon. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts and Mr Daniel even drove us across town when we wanted to do some sightseeing. The homestay is also perfectly located, 5 minutes walk away from the Chinese Fishing nets and the restaurants of Princess Street. Definitely the best place to stay in Cochin.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank cloveshols

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Durham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

This place is so different from the rest of India - its incredibly clean, the host makes yummy little snacks and its right in the centre of Fort Cochin. The Santa Cruz Basilica is 2 minutes walk away.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed at this homestay for three nights and was able to relax here after being on the go for the last three weeks. The homestay is in an excellent location in Fort Cohin and is a short walk to the centre of town and other sights in the area. The hosts are very hospitable and knowledgeable of the area and offer tips for travelling and getting around. For the price, I would argue that there isn't a better place in India to stay. Highly recommended. Its also very clean - a bonus for those who have been in India for a while.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights and not only has fort cochin been our favorite place in India so far but Daniels homestay has also been our favorite accommodation. Not only are the rooms really clean, the beds comfy and hot water guaranteed, the location was perfect (close to the main strip of fort cochin) and mr and mrs Daniels were such lovely hosts and looked after us so well.

They organized two days trips for us and our transport to the train station. Mrs Daniel offered us snacks daily and they were delicious. We sat inside their living room using their wifi and watching tv with them and it didn't bother them at all! We didn't want to leave and will miss their smiles.

Definitely try and stay here if coming to fort Cochin!!!

• Stayed February 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed at Daniels Homestay for 3 nights in January 2013. Both Mr and Mrs Daniel are fanastic hosts and go out of there way to make you feel welcome. We arrived prior to when our room was ready, but they welcomed us with drinks, chocolates and a room to freshen up whilst our room was cleaned and prepared. They then looked after our bags whilst we explored the town whilst waiting for our room.
Mrs Daniel provided a lovely breakfast at a minimal additional cost for us on one morning of our stay and as I was feeling unwell, she cooked a special bowl of porridge for me.
The room is very clean, a good size and there is hot water too which is rare in India! They have wifi and also allowed us to use their computer too.
Mr Daniel also took us to the bus station when we left Fort Kochi, which was free and a lovely touch.
This was the nicest homestay that we stayed in during our month trip in Southern India.

Room Tip: Both rooms are of similar size, so it doesn't really matter which one you have.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

I got my air tickets booked long back and wasn't sure on where should I stay and what should be my itinerary for the week in Kerala.. 20-25 days before my travel, I fixed on what all places should I stay and Fort Kochi was given most of the time (4 nights out of total 7 during the week's tour), as I just wanted to relax and didn't want to over-burden my schedule..
I spoke to a few B&Bs and homestays I found on tripadvisor and shortlisted a couple of them which where still available.. Uncle Daniel was the first to respond and confirmed the room without any advance.. and hence I was a little apprehensive of the quality and wasn't sure if the room will still be vacant when I reach there (as I wasn't asked to deposit and advance)..
When I reached Fort Kochi from Munnar, I pleasantly surprised to look at the room, the cleanliness and the proximity to the center to the town.
Although I chose the Blue Room, as it had A.C., I found that the green room is equally good and an A.C. has been fitted in that room as well. The only difference is in the size of the bed (green room has two single beds, while the blue room has one single & one bigger single bed). The rooms have an old TV (don't expect a big screen LED), a chair/table, an Almira with Keys, Big Windows, bed-side table and an attached bathroom, which is absolutely clean.
There's a common area between the rooms with a small dining table, with an electric kettle, sachets of tea/coffee/sugar, cups/saucer, and silverware.. Mr. Daniels provided mineral water & some snack (bananas) to us everyday in addition to this.. and the best part is that you have roof access as well, so you can use it for washing/drying your cloths if required (they offer laundry as well at very minimal rates)..
Although they do not offer any meals as a part of package (which is absolutely fine looking at the tariff), you can get breakfast on request the previous day, which is absolutely delicious & home cooked by Mr. Daniel's wife. Even otherwise since the house is at a 5 minute walk from the main area - princess street, you have plenty of options for food at all times of the day.
We were suggested some good places to visit by Mr. Daniels, who also suggested some good options for eateries as well. My wife wasn't keeping well and was having fever for a couple of days, and the hosts also offered some home-cooked meals for her and kept waiting till late night asking to help (since I had forgot to tell them that she'd taken some biscuits & slept early)..
When I mentioned to Mr. Daniels that I am looking for a two-wheeler on rent, he even offered his old Kinetic Honda scooter at a very minimal rate for a couple of days. The best part is that he makes you save a lot of money suggesting you the right mode of travel, and even dropped us to the bus to alleppy on our last day saying that it will be better than me hiring a taxi (and saved me a 1000 bucks)..
I'll highly recommend this place to stay at Fort Kochi, prime reasons being..
- Good location
- wonderful hosts
- clean rooms and washroom.
- Super Economical stay (my four days stay at Fort Kochi cost me the same as my one night at Munnar).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vpiyush03
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

I came down from US to India for Diwali in the month of November, 2012. My family and I embarked on an impromptu road trip from Maharashtra to Kerala. Without hotel reservations and any pre planning the trip had its ups and downs, but at the peak of the ‘Ups’ was our stay in Cochin at Daniel’s Homestay. We were driving from Periyar to Cochin and after a long tiring drive we arrived in Cochin to meet a load shedding city. We had to fight with wrong GPS directions, language barrier and the darkness in the city to hunt for a place to stay for the night. After a lot of hunting we just happened to cross Daniels Homestay. After a lot of negative opinions of the neighboring houses, we did not have much hope here. But the welcoming, patient Mr. Daniel and his wife, made us feel at home immediately. We went upstairs to see their rooms and looking at the meticulously clean rooms, beautiful common room, fresh air and the humbleness of Mr. Daniel we immediately agreed to stay. There is a small common area with a dining table, two adjacent bedrooms, one with air conditioning and the other without. Feeling that this could be a deciding factor for us, Mr. Daniel immediately suggested ways to keep both rooms cool. Upon arrival he gave us hand drawn maps of the area and indicated key places to visit and eat which made it very convenient for us, even without the GPS. Some of the things which I did not expect in a homestay and which we find only in expensive hotels (or regular hotels in the US) were these simple treats, the fully equipped bathrooms with the necessary toiletries, running hot water, cool mineral water bottles, coffee-tea-sugar packets ready with the crockery set, silverware and coffee maker. Daniels Homestay is the closest affordable resemblance I could find to hotels in the US. I am glad we met Mr.Daniel and his wife and I thank him for his kindness. I would highly recommend Daniels Homestay over pricey big hotels in the same area. This homestay is perfect for all travelers, be it large families, couples or single travelers. Daniels Homestay is a must to look out for. This is a highly lengthy review but staying at Daniels was the highlight of our otherwise tiring day and I had to do it justice! Best wishes to Mr. Daniel and his family.

Room Tip: Both rooms are really clean and spacious. I believe, the minor difference in room size can be overlo...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family