“Great dinner in Kochi”

Bristow's Bistro at The Old Lighthouse Bristow Hotel
Ranked #174 of 1,016 Restaurants in Kochi (Cochin)
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The only Sea Side multi cuisine restaurant with Kerala specialty dishes, also serving fusion cuisine with local spices. A great combination of sea, wine and mouthwatering food.
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We walked by chance into the Old Lighthouse Bristow hotel and were delighted by its location, its view and its colonial-like architecture. Hence we decided to have dinner here this evening and we reserved one table.

I checked beforehand tripadvisor and read some not so positive remarks. One message was very strong: western food is not their strengh. But no wonder, this is the case in 99,99% of Indian restaurants offering western food in teir menus.

So we arrived at 8pm and went for Kerala specialities together with a bottle of Indian shiraz red wine. The service was very good. The food was delicious, as well the wine and the dessert. And you sit on a terrace facing Kochi beach and the sea.

All in all we had a great dinner, and the restaurant deserves our positive rating.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

The only place we found in Kochi that served alcohol without overlooking the industrial port. It's a gorgeous place to sit outside with sundowners. So glad we found this calm oasis!

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Tried this place for lunch with a view to an evening meal. Unfortunately, although the setting is nice enough the service was poor and food was average. I asked for a mango lassi and received a sweet lassi. When I asked if it had mango in the waiter said he would find out. He never came back. When he finally returned with our food (which took ages and we were the only ones in the restaraunt) he said he had asked the kitchen staff who said there was mango in the lassi but they were not ripe so had no flavour! (This is mango season) He then asked if I wanted more mango in it. Frankly, it was a sweet lassi and he simply did not want to own up to his mistake. He was also very pushy trying to sell beer as soon as we sat down. When we made our lunch order of burger and samosas he actually said 'is that it, I thought it would be a big order'. Some training would be in order.
When the food arrived it was a disappointment. I had burger and chips which was OK except for the bun which fell apart immediately and had a glacé cherry on top? My plate had squiggles of tomato ketchup on which were presumably meant to look like a fancy reduction. The food appeared to have been prepared by an amateur trying to pose as a professional. The restaraunt is charging professional prices so really needs to up its game.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I liked the seafood platter which was ok. I had ordered the chicken tandoor which was not cooked well which can be eaten in some north Indian restaurant such as the Dal Roti

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Both food and service are excellent.One of our favorite location through out India.Nice and friendly approach all staff in the hotel. We love Kerala meal.And what not to say we got excellent seafood this hotel restaurant. We gonna miss this place.