We (two adults and two children aged 12 & 14) have just spent two nights in Fort Kochi at The Malabar House.
The childrens' room (5) on the ground floor was reasonably sized but without a private terrace or balcony. Our suite (11) upstairs was larger, had a separate small sitting area with a desk and a large outside shaded balcony (with a table, chairs and a lounger) overlooking the inner courtyard.
The hotel is very styled and the restaurant is popular with non-residents which means that it can get crowded. Someone else commented on this and it is true that there is not a lot of space either in the restaurant or in the "grounds". But to be fair that is probably true of most of the properties in Fort Kochi except perhaps the Brunton Boatyard which we visited for dinner on our second night. To compare the two: Brunton is bigger, has more space, has a larger pool, is on the waterfront and is slightly more formal /serious/quiet and would perhaps appeal to an older clientele. The Malabar House seemed hipper and cooler with a younger artier crowd and perhaps because of the smaller space it appeared more lively. At lunchtime there was a definite buzz to the place. We were very happy with our choice.
The location is absolutely perfect being just opposite the old parade ground where the local children play cricket, close to St. Francis Church and only a few minutes walk from the Chinese fishing nets. This is certaiunly a great base from which to explore Fort Kochi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malabar House is a charming boutique hotel overlooking the parade ground in the heart of Fort Cochin. The 17 highly individual rooms and suites seamlessly combine tradition and contemporary design. The Malabar House is a member of Relais & Chateaux. Malabar escapes offers the finest circuit of boutique and villa hotels in Kerala. Placed in colonial Fort Cochin, the backwaters and the plantation hills, each escape gives you a distinct experience & flavour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Malabar House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malabar House Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Malabar House Kochi (Cochin), Kerala, India