We had heard a lot of good things about this place, and chose it as more of a splurge on a long generally budget trip through India. We were very disappointed, and feel it is quite over-rated.
When we arrived we were shown to a room that was not nice at all, overlooking a busy street with not much light. We complained, and to their credit they moved us to a slightly better room. Still, this wasn't that nice considering we were paying several hundred dollars a night in a cheap country. I guess I would describe the look as trying to be boutique and funky on a budget. Basically a few antiques thrown around the room and some brightly coloured wall panels. The bathroom was nothing better than a cheap motel bathroom.
It was raining our entire stay in Kochin, and the hotel claimed to have umbrellas at the disposal for guests, but every time we wanted to go out they were all taken-why don't they have enough for each room? We ended up sneaking out of our room at about 11:30 one night to grab one from the lobby, otherwise we wouldn't have had an umbrella the entire time. We couldn't buy one on the street-we tried-because the rain was out of season so no vendors were carrying them.
The food was pretty good, but not absolutely amazing. Anyway, you can always stay somewhere else in Kochin (probably nicer and definitely cheaper) and go to the restaurant to eat. The wine bar upstairs is pretty nice too.
Overall we'd say this really isn't up to its reputation,and it seems there are much better hotels around Kochin (we looked around to compare). We also stayed at their resort Privacy, which we can highly recommend, it was really lovely. Their houseboat, which we also went on, was not that great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malabar House is a charming boutique hotel overlooking the parade ground in the heart of Fort Cochin. The 17 highly individual rooms and suites seamlessly combine tradition and contemporary design. The Malabar House is a member of Relais & Chateaux. Malabar escapes offers the finest circuit of boutique and villa hotels in Kerala. Placed in colonial Fort Cochin, the backwaters and the plantation hills, each escape gives you a distinct experience & flavour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Malabar House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malabar House Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Malabar House Kochi (Cochin), Kerala, India