Malabar House has had some rave reviews, which is why we booked to stay there recently while celebrating a significant birthday. We'd reserved a standard downstairs room but, after seeing it (No. 15) we asked if any other larger rooms were available. John Isac, the ever-smiling assistant manager, showed us to a room upstairs (No. 11). It was a lot larger than the downstairs rooms, and had access to both the front verandah (shared with one other upstairs room) and a large private rear terrace. Very kindly John waived the upgrade fee and we settled in to enjoy our stay. The hotel staff were all lovely — smiling, friendly and interested in the guests. At night the central courtyard was beautifully lit and tables were set up under the trees. Lunch and evening meals were fabulous — only breakfasts were a little disappointing (a new source of bakery items would be an improvement). There are bicycles available for guests, which is a better way to see the city than walking as you cover more ground and can avoid being nagged by persistent tuk-tuk drivers. Despite what we'd read about Kerala being different, we found it and Fort Cochin, to be typically Indian — with chaotic traffic, potholed roads and beaches covered in rubbish, stray dogs and beggars. India is a fascinating place, but visiting it can be a emotional rollercoaster ride. We found Malabar House to be a colourful, art-filled oasis from the madding crowds outside.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malabar House is a charming boutique hotel overlooking the parade ground in the heart of Fort Cochin. The 17 highly individual rooms and suites seamlessly combine tradition and contemporary design. The Malabar House is a member of Relais & Chateaux. Malabar escapes offers the finest circuit of boutique and villa hotels in Kerala. Placed in colonial Fort Cochin, the backwaters and the plantation hills, each escape gives you a distinct experience & flavour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Malabar House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malabar House Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Malabar House Kochi (Cochin), Kerala, India