“Excellent Service, Lovely Place, Most Friendly Staff”

Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #7 of 207 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
San Jose, CA, USA
“Excellent Service, Lovely Place, Most Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

The staff at Vivanta made my 60th birthday most memorable. We booked an extra night at Vivanta in February because our tour started at Kochi at the hotel. When we checked in, we had a long flight and many laid over hours so we were tired. Right from the start, welcoming staff Michelle gave us a warm greeting with a cold local drink and had us seated at this comfortable chairs with nice firm pillows to support our back. We were asked to provide our birthday and when I told Michelle my birthday, she noticed that it would be my birthday the next day. She said she would see what she could do. Since we were there early, we were asked to have lunch first. We really didn't have to check the staff for our room status. A staff came and advised me. This made us feel so relax and welcome. Then, we were told that because the hotel was booked and no room was available but since knowing that I was tired, the manager upgraded us to the best room of the hotel, the Malabar Suite, for one night. The suite was spaceous with a living room, one and a half bath room, a big bedroom with a desk, a reading nook that is totally private with a view of the lake, a balcony overlooking the garden and the pool area, and a private terrace. We felt like we were royalties. Since I had gluten sensitivity, I had to be careful with what I ate. The staff at the hotel were knowlegeable and was able to direct me to the right food. The chefs at the restaurant came out to talk to us when ate at the Rice Boat restaurant. We select the fresh fish from the display and the chef prepared the way we wanted. On my birthday, my husband secretly arranged with the restaurant manager to make me a gluten free cake and my favorite dish, fish head curry. Words had gone out about my birthday and the room boys made me a turtle with towels adorned with flowers. Every staff I met wished me a happy birthday. I had never received such attention before. The hotel offers a complimentary boat ride around the lake in the evening around 5:50 pm but be at the courtyard around 5 to have afternoon tea. Do check out the little book store/gift shop. I was able to find gifts there with reasonable price. Do try out the Rice Boat Restuarant. It serves fresh seafood brought in from local fishermen. Talk to the staff there if you like your seafood prepared in special ways. Because I am sensitive to spices, they made me just simply garlic prawns that was really delicious. When we checked out of the hotel, I was presented with a special gift for spending my 60th birthday there. We had such great memory at Vivanta that we are sure that we will go back there again, soon!

Room Tip: Do inform the staff if you are celebrating your special day because they may just give you a great s...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
VincentRamos, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 11 March 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

We at Vivanta by Taj- Malabar were honored to have you stayed with us in the recent past.

I am glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at the hotel measured up to your expectation. I have taken the liberty to communicate your feedback to my entire team at the hotel. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of our best attention and service at all times.

Vincent Ramos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tijuana, Mexico
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Dear All,
Me and 7 of my friends went to kerala for the weekend. We were staying in Fort Kochi and we planned to have a drink in the legendary Taj Malabar. We were all in casuals(flipflops, T shirts). So we called them up and asked if they will allow us inside. They said no problem sir, you can come. So we travelled nearly 18 kms and landed there. First shock. Since we came by walk the security asked us to get some pass from a security office. We went there and they laughed saying no pass is required. You are a guest. Then the gaurd let us in. When we were about to reach the lobby one security manager(i don wish to call him manager because he behaved like a rogue) stopped us and asked why we were here. We said we wanna have a drink. He said the bar is closed(At 2 in the afternoon) We said we called the hotel first and only came. He started abusing us. I am the manager. I am saying you can go in since u r in casuals. He said i cant let u sit down near my guests like this.(for ur kind info all of us are earning 40k+ per month). We tried to convince him saying it was the hotels mistake. he kept blaming us. Finally they forced us to leave by saying guests will get disturbed. When we were about to leave we saw a foreigner with a vest and boxer entering the hotel. No respect for Indians in our country .We have been to Various Taj Hotels in Chennai and we werent treated this bad ever. Worst ever treatment in the hands of TATA group.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ignatius A
VincentRamos, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and your friends.

Antwerp
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Taj Malabar in order to explore Kochi. From check-in to check-out we experienced the best service ever that we had in India so far. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful just anywhere: check-in, travel desk, restaurant, pool, housekeeping.
Rooms, though on the small side, provide all modern comfort and have been renovated well; Restaurant is very good for both breakfast and dinner; pool is nice (though also on the small side); afternoon tea is a nice add to the experience, just as the complimentary boat trip through Kochi.
The hotel is well located between Ernakulam and Fort Cochin, with views on the harbor.
The only thing we missed was an outdoors bar (although mosquitos may be the reason to stay inside at night).
Overall a very comfortable stay and definitely feel like exploring more Taj properties!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and posting a great review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction.

Pune
Reviewed 7 March 2013

From the moment we arrived at this Taj property till we left we were treated as royalty... On arrival we were treated with a fresh lime juice and the kids had icecream and they even had 2 umbrellas as gifts...our vacation just started great we were all very thrilled.

Our room had a wonderful view, with the water all around the room it was like our room was floating in the water.We had the best ocean view from both the windows.

We had dinner in the Thai restaurant.The best part was when the chef delivered their special dates desert to our room on both the days which was a surprise..I would really like to thank each and everyone in this Taj property.We had dinner twice over there and we were very happy with the food and personal attention that we received.

The kids had a blast in the kids area.The service was of the highest standard from everyone we encountered, this was from the check in staff, to the pool guys, the grounds man, the porters, the restaurant staff everyone.The evening tea ,snacks and the sunset cruise are also worth mentioning.

The grounds are beautiful, the infinity pool is lovely and the gardens are well looked after and look impeccable.We really had a very wonderful time over there.If we get a chance I would like to go over and stay there again.Thanks for making our Kerela trip memorable.

Room Tip: The rooms at the corner provide a two sided view of the ocean like a floating room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
VincentRamos, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 8 March 2013

London, England
Reviewed 5 March 2013

AMAZING - from the moment we checked in, to the moment we left the hotel we felt like royalty. We arrived at the hotel early and we requested an early check in if it was possible... Not only was this granted but we were upgraded to a suite. The perfect way to start our adventure in India.

Our room had a wonderful view, big balcony with table and chairs, living room area, walk in wardrobe, huge bathroom with a big tub and walk in shower.

We dined in the Thai Restaurant, the food was of the highest quality, and the service was attentive and friendly. We loved the fact that the head chef came to our table and asked us how our meal was, a really nice personal touch after we dined.

The service was of the highest standard from everyone we encountered, this was from the check in staff, to the pool guys, the grounds man, the porters, the restaurant staff etc.

The only criticism I have is that we didn't stay long enough to enjoy the Taj even more than we did. Next time it will definitely be more than 1 night and we will not need to look for another hotel in Cochin as the Taj is truly outstanding on all levels, from service, to food, to the staff and the rooms. 5* on all levels.

A HUGE thank you to Rahul and Sunil who made our stay memorable and very special. They both went the extra mile to make us feel special and to make sure our stay was perfect.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the sea and swimming pool. Wonderful sunsets and sunrises not to be missed.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Internationalbaby
VincentRamos, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 7 March 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

Thank you for choosing Vivanta by Taj Malabar for your recent stay at Cochin. It was a delight to have your valuable feedback and we greatly appreciate the time you spent for posting a great review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed for one night at The Taj Vivanta and we couldn't have been more satisfied. The staff were fantastic from start to finish, and couldn't have been more helpful. It was my birthday and they upgraded our suite, to a stunning room and even gave me gifts! The hotel is lovely and well maintained, and the restaurant that we used was very good. On the evening when we cancelled our reservation in favour of room service, because the children were tired, they sent some up to personally take our order. The pool was perhaps a little small, but it wasn't busy so it wasn't a problem and was really nicely maintained and again the staff were super helpful. Great spa too.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel and we are most thankful for the valuable feedback. It is indeed a team effort with an unwavering goal towards guest satisfaction, which constantly motivates us to be on our toes.

It is truly rewarding to note that your stay with us was comfortable and it is our constant endeavor to serve you better.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and rest assured, we shall ensure all personal care.

London
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for three days. We recieved just amazing service.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were welcome by dozen of staff saying namaste. What a positive start to the hotel.
We were welcome by Rahul Bahl (Duty Manager). The check in was very quick and effective.

The next day we were welcome with full body massage, which was very nice.

The resort was gorgerous, the service outstanding, and there was a great choice of restaurants.
Breakfast had great choices, the restaurant had amazing view especially if you sat in the boat. There was a complimentary tea time outside.

On our last day, the hotel arranged a car to the airport, and dozen of staff stood at the door waved us goodbye.

What a pleasant stay!