“I loved, loved, loved this place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vivanta by Taj - Malabar

Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #7 of 201 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
“I loved, loved, loved this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have just returned from a wonderful five night stay at the Taj Vivanta in Cochin and am already thinking about a return visit. This is certainly the best place to stay in Cochin, being away from the hurly burly of Fort Cochin, on a peaceful island overlooking the Arabian Sea.

I loved so many things about this hotel - from the decor, to the infinity pool, to the delightful staff. Everybody working there is extremely friendly - you feel like you have known them forever. Nothing is too much trouble, right down to wiping bird poo off the outdoor swing so I could sit and watch the sunset.

My room was really comfortable and had a great view over the boat dock and the sea beyond. I loved that the floor was made of wood - it gave a colonial feel and was warm for bare feet. The bathroom was very good with plenty of amenities. My only negative comment was that the water sometimes took a while to warm up, but this wasn't really a bother. All other facilities were there - hairdryer, tv with plenty of channels in English, daily newspaper, evening turndown with chocolate, etc. One of the things which impressed me the most about the Taj was the dedicated channel showing a short animated film on how to exit the hotel should there be a fire, prepared in the same manner as aircraft safety films. I have never seen anything like this before in a hotel and was very impressed, particularly since it wasn't a generic film, but was specifically for the Taj Vivanta in Cochin, showing the exact corridors and exit doors. Other hotels should take a leaf out of Taj's book on this one.

As a solo female traveller, I felt extremely safe and secure staying at the Taj. At night, the front gate was closed and there were a number of security men patrolling the grounds. I arrived in the middle of the night and my airport pickup was there waiting for me, which was a blessing, as outside Cochin airport is bedlam.

I booked one of the hotel tours and it turned out to be the best thing I did in Cochin. I also went for a massage at the spa attached and it was magnificent and very reasonably priced.

The free boat trip in the evening was enjoyable and I was able to get some good pictures of the Chinese fishing nets at sunset as a result.

I enjoyed all the meals I ate in the restaurant and the few cocktails I had at the bar, Everyone was keen to have a chat and offer advice on food and beverages and also on things to do in Cochin.

I noticed a further nice touch when I was checking out and that was that a box of reading glasses, in all strengths, was provided for those wanting to borrow a pair. How thoughtful.

All in all, this is a wonderful hotel, in a peaceful location that is the perfect place for a relaxing stay. I will certainly return, but for much longer.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Leopard_Lil
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 24 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel and we are most thankful for the valuable feedback.

It was a delight to have your feedback as this helps us to measure ourselves for the standards we have set for. It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience. Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve.

I have taken the liberty to communicate your feedback to my entire team at the hotel. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

We profusely thank you for your valuable feedback which encourages and motivates us in creating a beyond expectation experience each time.

Suman Dutta Sharma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Loved our stay at this Taj property. Very nice location and great value. We got a free upgrade to a suite with a ocean view balcony and the staff has been very friendly. If you just want to relax and have a peaceful time I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 21 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We at Vivanta by Taj Malabar are really honored to have you stay with us and sincerely look forward to welcome you back to our lovely hotel once again.

It was a delight to have your feedback as this helps us to measure ourselves for the standards we have set for ourselves. I am happy to note that you had an excellent stay with us.

We trust the Vivanta charm will attract you again soon and it will be our pleasure to delight you. Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of the very best in hospitality in the true Taj tradition, always.

Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

While planning our Kerala trip, we were struggling to decide whether we should stay one night at Kochi or proceed directly to Munnar. In the end, we made the best decision of our vacation by staying at Taj Kochi.

Having heard and read several positive reviews about the property and the hospitality this team provides, we had reasonably high expectations. But to our pleasant surprise, our stay turned out to be even better than we had anticipated. It was an amazing experience.

This is a very well maintained property with excellent rooms giving a lovely view of backwaters. The best part of the stay was however the hospitality extended by the Taj team. They try to make you feel special in every possible way right from the point when you disembark from your vehicle - a whole crowd comes out to welcome you in. While the front desk gets busy in check in process, they give you an awesome welcome drink (which had coconut water and ginger for sure) to refresh you to the core, the check in process itself makes you feel at home followed by very friendly explanation of property & facilities features.Everyone greets you and helps you at the slightest of sight and anticipation. In fact, because we had reschedule our flight in the wee hours, we reached the property at 9.30 in the morning whereas the check in time was 1 pm or 2 pm. Though, we had requested them for an early check in as soon as we could, it was very considerate of them to accommodate our request at such short notice and that too with an upgraded room.

The other notable things which made our day were the complimentary evening cruise (preceded by evening snacks) and delicious dinner at Rice Boat restaurant. The food and the staff at Rice Boat were so good that it makes sense to visit this place only for dinner if you are in Kochi.

Next day, we were supposed to leave for Munnar and that is 5 hours drive from Kochi. They were considerate enough to pack us (complimentary) sandwiches and water for the journey. This team not only makes your stay comfortable but also goes out of its way to make you feel extra special - well, isn't a vacation all about that? If you want to stay in Kochi this is the best place to be. We would definitely visit this place again. Mr. Dutta, many thanks to you and your entire team for looking after your guests so well.

As one of the reviewers said in this forum, you stay one night here and this place stays with you forever.

Room Tip: We had a room with view to Backwaters ... makes sense to go for them ... not sure if all rooms face...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Le Mans, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

This hotel is one of the best we have visited in India. The hotel is big enough to provide all the services we expect (Spa, large pool, kids area…) but it keeps a very "family like" feeling.
The service is excellent and full of attentions. Our kids received a small gift on arrival and the day after they had a cake with their names on it brought to the room. They just loved it!
The food is very good.
We enjoyed the cruise from the hotel in the afternoon.
The hotel is not in Fort Cochin but the travel desk can arrange any visit you want and is very helpful.
In short we had a great time relaxing and visiting.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the hotel.

Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve. We are very pleased that you felt well-taken care of during your stay.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

A spectacular holiday with amazing food and hospitality. The hotel has a unique location and is a perfect getaway from the chaotic lifestyle in urban areas. The food is great especially on the boat restaurant where seafood is served. Being Taj, they have greatly emphasized on the quality of service provided to their guests. A perfect spot!

Room Tip: Choose rooms where you can get a view of the backwaters and a glimpse of the sea as well as the port
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank adityamukhija

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

Thank you for your feedback. It is the feedback from valued guests that enables us to keep improving and remain motivated to deliver services of the highest standards.

It is really nice to know that your stay experience was truly memorable due to our warm and friendly services.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we really appreciate your compliments and the same has been shared with all the staff members.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a lovely hotel. We enjoyed staying here. Very good service. Special mention to Anoop Matthew, their IT person for helping us out. Slightly out of town. They offer a free boat ride on the river which is worth taking. Very helpful service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and posting a great review of our hotel.

We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. Our endeavor is to ensure each guest is given a seamless experience.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel is out of town in the harbour area, so if you want easy evening access to the town you might be better off in a more central location in Kochi itself. But, if you want something gentle, quiet, very comfortable with attentive and helpful staff and an award winning restaurant (the Rice Boat), you really can't go wrong. When we arrived, we just managed to catch the free boat trip around the harbour that's offered by the hotel. Don't miss it if possible, it gives you a great view of the Chinese fishing nets and the warehouses. We caught the fishing nets at sunset, which provided a great photo opportunity. It's easy to get trips organised around Kochi, which is an interesting post Colonial town with a strong Portuguese flavour. Altogether, a very good hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 13 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We certainly look forward to your return in the future, and to extending the warm Taj hospitality and great stay experience that we always strive to deliver.