I have just returned from a wonderful five night stay at the Taj Vivanta in Cochin and am already thinking about a return visit. This is certainly the best place to stay in Cochin, being away from the hurly burly of Fort Cochin, on a peaceful island overlooking the Arabian Sea.
I loved so many things about this hotel - from the decor, to the infinity pool, to the delightful staff. Everybody working there is extremely friendly - you feel like you have known them forever. Nothing is too much trouble, right down to wiping bird poo off the outdoor swing so I could sit and watch the sunset.
My room was really comfortable and had a great view over the boat dock and the sea beyond. I loved that the floor was made of wood - it gave a colonial feel and was warm for bare feet. The bathroom was very good with plenty of amenities. My only negative comment was that the water sometimes took a while to warm up, but this wasn't really a bother. All other facilities were there - hairdryer, tv with plenty of channels in English, daily newspaper, evening turndown with chocolate, etc. One of the things which impressed me the most about the Taj was the dedicated channel showing a short animated film on how to exit the hotel should there be a fire, prepared in the same manner as aircraft safety films. I have never seen anything like this before in a hotel and was very impressed, particularly since it wasn't a generic film, but was specifically for the Taj Vivanta in Cochin, showing the exact corridors and exit doors. Other hotels should take a leaf out of Taj's book on this one.
As a solo female traveller, I felt extremely safe and secure staying at the Taj. At night, the front gate was closed and there were a number of security men patrolling the grounds. I arrived in the middle of the night and my airport pickup was there waiting for me, which was a blessing, as outside Cochin airport is bedlam.
I booked one of the hotel tours and it turned out to be the best thing I did in Cochin. I also went for a massage at the spa attached and it was magnificent and very reasonably priced.
The free boat trip in the evening was enjoyable and I was able to get some good pictures of the Chinese fishing nets at sunset as a result.
I enjoyed all the meals I ate in the restaurant and the few cocktails I had at the bar, Everyone was keen to have a chat and offer advice on food and beverages and also on things to do in Cochin.
I noticed a further nice touch when I was checking out and that was that a box of reading glasses, in all strengths, was provided for those wanting to borrow a pair. How thoughtful.
All in all, this is a wonderful hotel, in a peaceful location that is the perfect place for a relaxing stay. I will certainly return, but for much longer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on Willingdon Island with a magnificent view of Cochin harbour, Vivanta by Taj - Malabar is a fine balance between yesterday and tomorrow. Our lobby is a unique mix of chic and classic. The heritage wing, built in 1935, reflect the inherent beauty of Cochin. And the tower wing houses newly renovated guestroom suites, each a delicate mix of the classic with the contemporary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Indian Hotels Company Limited, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Malabar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Malabar Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Taj Malabar Cochin Kochi
- Taj Malabar Cochin Hotel Kochi
- Vivanta By Taj - Malabar Kochi (Cochin), Kerala, India