“Great Stay in Cochin”

Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #8 of 222 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Deluxe Allure Suite at the Taj Malabar for two nights while we explored Cochin.

The room itself was perhaps the best room we stayed in during our two-week tour of India. The Allure Suite was very spacious with a living room, bedroom, walk-in wardrobe, and large bathroom. The room looked to have been recently renovated with very tasteful, sleek decor. The bathroom in particular was quite nice with a large shower and separate soaking tub. The suite also had a large balcony -- equipped with a table and two chairs -- overlooking the water, which made for a great place to watch sunset.

On site, the hotel had several good restaurant options. We really enjoyed our seafood dinner at the Rice Boat, which lived up to its boast of being one of the best restaurants in India. [The banana leaf fish was especially tasty!] We also enjoyed our lunch at the Chinese restaurant.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Allure suite was excellent. The suite is very spacious and has a great view overlooking...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

It is really nice to know that your stay experience was truly memorable due to our warm and friendly services.

We trust the Vivanta charm will attract you again soon and it will be our pleasure to delight you. Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of the very best in hospitality in the true Taj tradition, always.

Suman Dutta Sharma

Write a ReviewReviews (2,099)

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

It was an amazing experience, my kids really enjoyed the stay here. Very friendly and pleasing staff and everything was taken care. They pampered us to the core. Very clean & Spacious room, superb pool , my son enjoyed the pool as there was an instructor to tc of him. Best part of it was the evening cruise , we saw some rear bird's and dolphins. Food was awesome, no words to put in, anyways thank you taj malabar for making my stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: June 2013
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We are very grateful for your note complimenting the services and facilities of our hotel. Our endeavor is to ensure each guest is given a seamless experience.

We certainly look forward to welcome you back in our hotel for another memorable holiday.

Assuring you of our best services and attention at all times.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have been a loyal customer of the Taj hotel group since the 1970's,and I have stayed at their various properties repeatedly over the years.Have also on occasions stayed at ITC/Welcomgroup and Oberoi hotels,but my preference has been fro the Taj group hotels,where available.
Without doubt the Taj group has some of the very best properties in India,and the their properties like the West End-Bangalore, the Aguada-Goa and the Malabar-Kochi come to mind.
I chose the Malabar Vivanta because it is peaceful,and its location on the Willingdon Island allows for a stay that allows for a quiet and reflective stay.
The hotel quoted an exorbitant price for bed and breakfast,even though I was scheduled to stay between the 27th Dec to 3rd Jan-but as I was alone and craved some peace and quiet i accepted.My net conclusion was that the price was not worth what I got.
Location superb,food as in all Taj hotels very,very mediocre-I will opt for the Welcomgroup,Oberoi room and restraunt menus any day.
But the one very sad-actually pathetic problem at the Taj Malabar as in all the other Taj hotels I have stayed in is that they appear not to want to cater for the Indian clientele.
I have repeatedly brought this matter to the attention of even the GMs at the Aguada,the Bangalore Gateway,the Taj Kovalam and now the Taj Malabar,of the lack of health faucets in their room toilets,and one has to resort to paper or use a mug that needs an inconvinent walk to the sink most inappropriaitely located to execute a very basic cleaning procedure.
My question is to the management at these hotels is to what was the percentage of Indian guests to foreign guests- and I am assured that the Indians outnumber the overseas visitors, but the top level management of the Taj group do not seem to want to provide this facility of a health faucet as an option in their bathrooms-and no convincing reason has been forthcoming-although all the GMs I have spoken to say they have asked for this facility to be installed.
During our stay at the Aguada in 2011 I had made a request to the management of the the hotel,and I was promised that it would be attended to.We stayed at the Aguada again in 2012,and apart from the continuing lack of a health faucet,there were other problems related to water pressure etc.
I have also noticed in the toilets attached to the lobbies of some Taj hotels,this health faucet is available,but this facility is not available in the rooms of the same hotel.
This time at the Malabar,I was so truly upset with this and other aspects of my reservation requests that I was ready to check out on the first night itself,but it was a tribute to the GM and the Front Office manager that they had a health faucet installed within 3 hours,and attended to most of the other shortcomings in regard to my reservation requests.
I will also compliment the courtesy,kindness and friendship of the various waiters,restaraunt managers and other employees at the Taj Malabar-but this quality cannot replace professionalism which appears to be in short supply.
My final conclusion is that the Taj Group has expanded so rapidly over the last couple of years,and is unable to recruit,train and allot resources to make the group once again the best of its kind.
It is also possible that the upper levels of management do not give responses and credence to the local hotels' management to allow change/additions to be made at local levels.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea facing room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ub2203

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the hotel. It is indeed a team effort with an unwavering goal towards guest satisfaction, which constantly motivates us to be on our toes.

I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. Our endeavor is to ensure each guest is given a seamless experience.

We have made a note of your feedback and shall certainly explore all the possibilities of availing the same in the future.

We profusely thank you for your valuable feedback which encourages and motivates us in creating a beyond expectation experience each time.

We certainly look forward to your return in the future, and to extending the warm Taj hospitality and great stay experience that we always strive to deliver.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The food is excellent. The service of waiters was great. Large spacious room with great view from the balcony. Nice cruise in their boat, the cost of which was included in the room cost. If you reserve the table at the far corner when dining outdoors, it would give you a feeling of sitting over water. That's how close it was! The seafood they served during the dinner outdoors was one of the best we ever had. There was live music too.
Small negatives:
Boat cruise was not fun. No conversation. There was no one to speak to us (40 - 45 persons) about what we were seeing. No bottled light drinks or water were served or available for purchase. No music. It was grim. People seemed happy to file out when the boat docked after about an hour.
We paid the approximate equivalent of USD 500.00 for two nights. We still had to pay for wifi connectivity. That looked a bit ridiculous.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of ocean. Forget room service. Go down to the restaurant. Speak to any wait...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vijayan2014

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I had my past experience of staying at the Vivanta and I am glad to have experienced their hospitality yet again in the Gods own country . Lovely property with view of the sea . It's the best place to relax , sit back and enjoy hospitality in the Taj style.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

It was a delight to have your feedback as this helps us to measure ourselves for the standards we have set for ourselves. I am happy to note that you had an excellent stay with us.

We are grateful for your valuable feedback and we greatly appreciate your time you spent, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

Assuring you of our best services and attention at all times.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have just returned from a wonderful five night stay at the Taj Vivanta in Cochin and am already thinking about a return visit. This is certainly the best place to stay in Cochin, being away from the hurly burly of Fort Cochin, on a peaceful island overlooking the Arabian Sea.

I loved so many things about this hotel - from the decor, to the infinity pool, to the delightful staff. Everybody working there is extremely friendly - you feel like you have known them forever. Nothing is too much trouble, right down to wiping bird poo off the outdoor swing so I could sit and watch the sunset.

My room was really comfortable and had a great view over the boat dock and the sea beyond. I loved that the floor was made of wood - it gave a colonial feel and was warm for bare feet. The bathroom was very good with plenty of amenities. My only negative comment was that the water sometimes took a while to warm up, but this wasn't really a bother. All other facilities were there - hairdryer, tv with plenty of channels in English, daily newspaper, evening turndown with chocolate, etc. One of the things which impressed me the most about the Taj was the dedicated channel showing a short animated film on how to exit the hotel should there be a fire, prepared in the same manner as aircraft safety films. I have never seen anything like this before in a hotel and was very impressed, particularly since it wasn't a generic film, but was specifically for the Taj Vivanta in Cochin, showing the exact corridors and exit doors. Other hotels should take a leaf out of Taj's book on this one.

As a solo female traveller, I felt extremely safe and secure staying at the Taj. At night, the front gate was closed and there were a number of security men patrolling the grounds. I arrived in the middle of the night and my airport pickup was there waiting for me, which was a blessing, as outside Cochin airport is bedlam.

I booked one of the hotel tours and it turned out to be the best thing I did in Cochin. I also went for a massage at the spa attached and it was magnificent and very reasonably priced.

The free boat trip in the evening was enjoyable and I was able to get some good pictures of the Chinese fishing nets at sunset as a result.

I enjoyed all the meals I ate in the restaurant and the few cocktails I had at the bar, Everyone was keen to have a chat and offer advice on food and beverages and also on things to do in Cochin.

I noticed a further nice touch when I was checking out and that was that a box of reading glasses, in all strengths, was provided for those wanting to borrow a pair. How thoughtful.

All in all, this is a wonderful hotel, in a peaceful location that is the perfect place for a relaxing stay. I will certainly return, but for much longer.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Leopard_Lil

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel and we are most thankful for the valuable feedback.

It was a delight to have your feedback as this helps us to measure ourselves for the standards we have set for. It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience. Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve.

I have taken the liberty to communicate your feedback to my entire team at the hotel. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Loved our stay at this Taj property. Very nice location and great value. We got a free upgrade to a suite with a ocean view balcony and the staff has been very friendly. If you just want to relax and have a peaceful time I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We at Vivanta by Taj Malabar are really honored to have you stay with us and sincerely look forward to welcome you back to our lovely hotel once again.