“Awesome view and great feeling over looking the water front”

Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #8 of 222 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Checked in to the hotel and the duty manager Mr Durgesh was quick enough to serve us, took us to the room and gave us a complete synopsis of the place. WE got information of the hotel, the nearby and also what we could do.
Enjoyed the evening tea and snacks which was on the house and a great concept. Then a boat which took us to the nearby island for explaining us about the activities which guest could get into.
Good breakfast and good dinner was the highlight. Room was comfortable and had a lovely view of the back water, the Port terminal, the high sea far beyond. The ships coming into the harbour and the fishing boats making their innumerable trips.

Room Tip: Ask for the west facing rooms. Also if its south west you get a twin view. Awesome.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RTBMamallapuram
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and effort in sharing your feedback and compliments of the hotel.

We are glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at our hotel measured up to your expectation. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of our best attention and services at all times.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The property is very well landscaped. Good stuff to keep kids occupied. The staff is very friendly and caring especially towards little children. They had some good workshops for elders as well. The evening cruise is also a lovely experience.

Would definitely want to visit the property again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gcrasto

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

We thank you for sparing your valuable time and providing us with your feedback regarding your stay at Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin.

We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction.

We certainly look forward to your return in the future, and to extending the warm Taj hospitality and great stay experience that we always strive to deliver.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We know several Vivanta by Taj hotels already,having been to Rajastan,Udaipur Delhi and
Mumbai 2 years ago and this had been one of our best hotel experiences ever.
Now we stayed 2 nights in Cochin in the Vivanta (Deluxe allure Suite Sea View) and again it
was one of "the best experiences ever". Service incl room service, dinner (not only the lobster),winelist (exactly what we were asking for),and the marvellous outlook to the bay
are really oustanding, a little balcony allowed us to have some "look ,drink and smoke-
Summary: an excellent experience again- a recommendation for our friends.

Room Tip: Book a seaview room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ratpackvienna
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel.

I am glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at the hotel measured up to your expectation.

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and effort in sharing your feedback as it enables us to measure and improve our performance in our quest of providing you luxury hospitality.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have visited this place many times in my childhood with my parents and I cherish a lot of good memories about this hotel. That is the reason I choose this hotel for one night stay in Cochin with my family on 22 April to catch our international flight leaving the next day early morning. It was the first visit of my wife and daughter to Cochin, even though it is far from airport I have decided to choose this property for one night to share my old memories with them. Regardless it was a catastrophe.
Dinner
I made an advance reservation for a seaside table in their popular seafood restaurant for dinner at 8pm thinking that I could spend a good evening with my family. We reached on time, but there was no reservation for us. They gave an option to arrange an inner table or wait till 9 pm. Such situation might occur but not often in 5 star hotels , I wonder why can’t they go through the short reservation list and make an attempt to page the guest and explain the situation rather than turn the guest down when they come prepared for dining? Finally we had to dine alone in their deserted Chinese restaurant on that evening.
As a compensation they offered the dinner free of charge which was gratefully rejected by us. We choose this hotel, not for a free dinner, will this offer return our joy in that evening?
Breakfast
After check-in at 3 pm we went to the restaurant for a quick snack, one of the suppliers tried to be more helpful inquiring about our early check- out next day at 630 AM. He had given us a small list of food served for early breakfast and asked us about the choice of eggs and he promised to inform the restaurant to make the necessary arrangements.
Next day at check-out time we checked at the restaurant without knowing that another surprise was waiting us in the early morning ,I got a negative reply that he has no information. He directed us to the reception. Reception also had no information, I am not surprised at this time because I already got used to their system. After check-out they handed over a pre packed BIG breakfast pack for early check-out guests. We discovered a dry Corazon, one banana and a muffin. We asked for a coffee and the reception again tried to direct us back to the restaurant. I refused to take my family up and down in the lobby. Honestly, I ask you, how bad you are treating your guests. Finally they brought the coffee in the lounge. (My question to the management, you charge such a high price for the breakfast and can’t you do some justice to this food package you are giving out?)
We checked-in at 3 PM and checked-out at 6 30AM and settled a bill of 22,300 Indian rupees for a fifteen and half hours, which is quite big amount. I am prepared to shell out that money happily if I could get the minimum decent service, even a four star hotel can give better treatment. It is a relief that we checked out in the early morning otherwise we would have to face for more disgraceful situations.
It is the most prestigious place in Cochin and more over it is my preferred place and I really feel sorry to write something bad about this place. Is this management sleeping? You are doing an injustice to this fine property.
I wanted to give a good treat for my family in Cochin but I regret, I left with big shame in front of them and none of us enjoyed our stay in this prestigious resort. I blame only the management.

Room Tip: sea facing room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank jacob t
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

I take this opportunity to thank you for being a valued patron and happy to know that you liked the property.

At the same time it is a matter of great concern for me and my team to realize the bad experience you had while at the hotel and I am greatly perturbed on hearing the same.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I would also like to assure you that the matter has been discussed with all concerned individuals and related development needs have been addressed to ensure such reoccurrences can be avoided.

Once again we thank you for sharing your valuable thoughts and assure you our best services and attention at all times.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

After a long work trip tue Taj Malabar was what I needed. Out of the hustle and bustle of the city, on the water, nice pool, good food. Did a late afternoon trip by boat (complimentary) around the area at sunset. The boat does a stop at the hotel's recreation island to show what you can do if you want to get rid of energy on a ropes course, archery, canoeing etc. Obviously a promotional stop.
The rooms are not that sound proof from the corridors as I had kids playing in the corridor and I had to call to get someone to talk to them (which they did)
Room was nice with a view over the river.
Staff was very helpful and serving me cold watermelon at the pool was a nice touch.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mataka
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Makes you "wow" from the first step out of taxi! the lobby, the restaurant, the spa center, the swimming pool, the bar are all super awesome. There's no need to go out of Taj Malabar and you can have a really nice vacation! They schedule events for you to join, for example culture show, afternoon tea time and backwater trip. Also, it's close to the port to take the ferries to fort kochi. I love the room we stay, very clean, big, comfortable, nice sea view and has nice furnitures. The staffs in Taj are all friendly and helpful. We had an amazing stay here!

Room Tip: Sea view room is awesome!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

We are most delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience in our hotel. We would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the services offered by our team during you stay.

We are glad to know that our product and services exceeded your expectations. My team and I will look forward to welcome you back for many more enriching moments.

Assuring you of our best services at all times.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed 9 days at Vivanta Malabar Cochin - our first trip to India. Just the two of us- we left the kids home alone! We have stayed at some pretty good hotels in our time and this rated one of the top! For service it surpassed all without a doubt. Hotel decor - nice colonial feel. Bedrooms - all you would want and expect. Food - first class, good choice, great service across several restaurants. My partner thought the fish dishes were amazing, enjoyed the thai, but the indian curries hit the spot for me. Attention to detail - incl. a nice touch on departure with a gift to my better half, chefs visit your table to cheque your enjoying your food etc. Cleanliness - the smell of polish each morning on the woodwork says it all. Swimming pool - nice view over the harbour and free melon to refresh you. Spa - great value and feel much better for it. Bar - pretty expensive, but had all the major tipples to finish off a good night. And what about the staff: too many stars to list (incl. those behind the scenes like room cleaning and the chefs etc.) but Bennish G baby (Bar) needs a promotion - always smiling and ready with the next cold beer in his hand just as you take the last sip. Alex (restaurant) - very interesting guy and rescued the situation when my partner left her glasses in the room by offering a selection of glasses to help her see the menu. Durgesh Kumar (Duty manager) - always pleased to help... and this was definitely a common theme with ALL the staff. Seniro Management - pat them all on the back because you have a good team here. Nice job everyone! Definitely recommend the hotel. Whatever you do - don't miss out on a trip down the backwaters on a houseboat - superb, fascinating few hours and great photo opportunities. Great holiday. Simon & Mandy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SJDYorkshire
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

Thank you for choosing Vivanta by Taj Malabar for your recent stay at Cochin. It was a delight to have your valuable feedback and we greatly appreciate the time you spent for posting a great review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience. Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we really appreciate your compliments and the same has been shared with all the staff members.

My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and services at all times.