“Wonderful stay in God's Own Country” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vivanta by Taj - Malabar

Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #7 of 201 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful stay in God's Own Country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Taj Vivanta was everytihng superlative! Loved the room, the ambience of the well laid out hotel. The service was unparalleled, as in all Taj hotels. Food was amazing. The Rice Boat is one thing we can never ever not do!!! Alex at the restaurant was a fantastic host, doing the serving with such great hospitality. The Chef made the tastiest dosa for me - a not such a great lover of dosas! And I just loved his! Must say - this was definitely as great as the one made specially for me by the chef at Hilton Saket, and I am touched not just by the taste of it - but also by the sheer care taken to make it taste sooo good!! Taj is alwaya great and it was not a surprise at all - to be spoilt again. The afternoon tea was fantastic and the boat ride to their island was superb. Will surely go again - soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floors and the sea view corner - for a great view!
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 12 August 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and posting a great review of our hotel.

We are very grateful for your note complimenting the services and facilities of our hotel. Our endeavor is to ensure each guest is given a seamless experience.

It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience.

Suman Dutta Sharma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had four nights at Vivanta by Taj, Malabar. The hotel is just over an hour from the airport at Kochi and will set you back around INR 1030 if you use a pre paid taxi. The hotel is situated at the end of a man made island which used to be part of a massive Naval dockyard and port area. The staff were fantastic right from the moment you arrive. Check in was very easy and the welcome drink was stunning! I had a room on the 6th floor (609) which was a great corner room, facing back up the harbour. The only issue I had was the next morning I was awoken around 6am as the demolition crew arrived to continue dismantling an old pier before the tide came in again and swamped it. I mentioned it was an issue to the staff before heading out for the day and upon my return was given a different room (602) on the same floor which had an even better view, looking across the hotel grounds to the pool and down towards the harbour entrance and Chinese fishing nets. The room was quite large with plenty of space for the two of us with great air conditioning and a large soft bed. The bathroom was a decent size as well. Everything worked well and anything you needed was attended to immediately. We had breakfast in the restaurant each morning which was great. Although it was quite busy, they never really ran out of anything; cereals, stunning fresh fruit, cooked local and western options as well as pastries and fresh juices.

As mentioned earlier, the hotel isn’t in the main commercial or tourist areas, but between the two in essence. It is quite a nice walk around the local streets with lovely old Dockyard Superintendents houses etc. You won’t find anyone trying to sell you anything outside the hotel other than a couple of friendly taxi drivers. It will cost around INR200 and take 20 mins to get to the harbour entrance to see the Chinese fishing nets etc by Tuk tuk. Alternatively, there are ferries ten minutes walk from the hotel (and very cheap) which run every 20 to 30 minutes and will take you across to the nearest wharf in about 10 mins. As a side note, I had originally intended to stay at the Old Harbour Hotel. We had dinner there one night and it was stunning, with only a two minute walk to the fishing nets. However, although it is a bit away from the main tourist sites there is a lot more space at Vivanta by Taj and the tranquillity of the surroundings is amazing. Add in the view down the harbour and we certainly made the right choice!

I had a one day backwaters tour with Carnival tours and it was brilliant and so relaxing!!! When my other half arrived on day 2 we booked an afternoon tour from the hotel which was also very good and we saw a totally different area to the one I’d seen the day before; both are great options.

All in all, although not in the centre of the tourist precincts the hotel is fantastic, the staff are incredible and after a two weeks amid the hustle and bustle of India it was the perfect hotel to get away from it all for a period before continuing on our trip. One of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed at for sure and highly recommended!

Room Tip: Get a corner room with a Harbour view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NX622
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 21 July 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

Thank you for choosing Vivanta by Taj Malabar for your recent stay at Cochin. It was a delight to have your valuable feedback and we greatly appreciate the time you spent for posting a great review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

It is really nice to know that your stay experience was truly memorable due to our warm and friendly services.

We profusely thank you for your valuable feedback which encourages and motivates us in creating a beyond expectation experience each time.

We certainly look forward to your return in the future, and to extending the warm Taj hospitality and great stay experience that we always strive to deliver.

Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had booked 3 rooms for my parents, my in-laws, and my family and I. We had the most extraordinary time and I would like to thank the outstanding staff of Mr Panicker and his team for making our stay most memorable. From the warm welcome, to the excellent food, to the phenomenal staff who catered to our every request most graciously. Awesome services were provided from arranging flowers for my daughter's sari ceremony, to helping tremendously when my father fell sick and had to be taken to the hospital, to arranging a beautiful tablescape to celebrate my father's birthday it was simply a class act by the staff.
I have stayed in many properties around the world but I wil rate the staff and services at Taj Vivanta Malabar as number one because they were simply phenomenal and went above and beyond the norm to make us feel at home. This is one property where I will let every one of my friends and readers know truly what a world class act Taj Vivanta, Malabar really is.
Amudha Colaco

Room Tip: Let the staff know on arrival and they allocate rooms that are just perfect for your needs.
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and effort in sharing your feedback and compliments of the hotel.

We are glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at our hotel measured up to your expectation. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of our best attention and services at all times.

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

It has got heritage block and modern block both are class apart when it comes to comforts and luxury, every corner of this hotel have detailed attention to uniqueness, the kind of furnitures, the JIVE spa, restaurants especially the one in a boat, the bar, pool its just excellent, very nice hotel, hospitality i found bit artificial still manageable

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, 30 July 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

Thank you for your feedback. It is the feedback from valued guests that enables us to keep improving and remain motivated to deliver services of the highest standards.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we really appreciate your compliments and the same has been shared with all the staff members.

Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

While we were on the last phase of our honeymoon with great experience of Kerela and its hospitality we were just looking for a good hotel to relax for a day and we checked in Taj malabar, and as the name says TAJ, its truly like one. The hospitality, service, ambience everything just in place. The evening sunset cruise will make u all the more happy and excited. A must hotel to stay in if one is in Kochin

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Rohit1650
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!

We are most delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience in our hotel. We would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the services offered by our team during you stay.

We are glad to know that our product and services exceeded your expectations. My team and I will look forward to welcome you back for many more enriching moments.

Assuring you of our best services at all times.

kuala lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our stay at the Taj was on the first leg of our 8 days tours of Kerala. From the moment we stepped into the hotel it wa nothing short of VIP treatment from all the staff. From top management to the grounds keepers we were constantly greeted and asked if there was anything they could assist us with and are so well trained and communicate well with the guests.
My party of 11 were so immpressed with the service.
I just make a special mention about the staff who left us with his towel art pieces in our rooms everyday after the housekeeping had finished. The staff responsible takes great pride in his work and we thank you for it.
Food was excellent and the service excellent. Will definately come back again soon. Loved every minute of our stay. Only regret was that I was not able to join in the sunset boat ride.

Room Tip: request fro the seaview lovely view from the rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

We are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the hotel.

We are very pleased that you felt well-taken care of during your stay.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of the very best in hospitality in the true Taj tradition, always.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at taj Malabar in July with my family. As expected the place is excellent and service impeccable. The complimentary activities like jacuzzi, gym, high tea, boat ride etc kept the kids busy. We enjoyed the stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel.

I am glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at the hotel measured up to your expectation.