“Very well run hotel”

Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #7 of 219 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 22 August 2014

From the start, this hotel was really the tops in terms of staff. You could sit in the restaurant and really admire the professionalism all around. Waiters were so attentive and helpful. I should also mention the way that the hotel corrected a mistake which was actually the fault of the booking website we'd used - we were grateful for their help with that.
In truth, the decor of the place was not to my taste, but that's not really important when there was so much to like about the hotel. We were about 5-10 mins walk from the ferry to Fort Cochin, and a car was always available to offer a lift to the boat. The ferry fare was just 4 rupees. Willingdon Island doesn't have much else on it to visit, but it was so easy to get to Fort Cochin on the fairly frequent ferries.
One of the most enjoyable parts of our stay was the food - fresh dosa, pancakes + eggs all available at breakfast as well as a massive choice on the buffet. I only discovered the baked yoghurt on my last morning which was a great shame. Their 'posh' restaurant had amazing seafood and a really excellent chef. We found the best way to eat there was to talk to staff and then leave it in chef's hands with delicious results !

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

We are most delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience in our hotel. We would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the services offered by our team during you stay.

We are glad to know that our product and services exceeded your expectations.

We have made a note of your feedback. The matter has been taken up with the concerned personnel and you have my assurance that you will have no cause for such a comment in the future.
My team and I will look forward to welcome you back for many more enriching moments.

Assuring you of our best services at all times.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is an excellent hotel not just because of its great location,luxurious decor,good food at Pepper restaurant and excellent service but also because of the numerous complimentary activities that they have,all excellent and enjoyable, like the cookery demonstration,the flower arrangement demonstration,the afternoon tea,the sunset cruise,superb Indian dance perfomances by Ms Sathyabhama and excellent lounge performances by Mr.Christopher and Mr.Noel.There was also a paid activity on another island belonging to the Taj group,very well organized by Dipu.In short,there is no time to get bored.A small disappointment was the food at the Thai restaurant which we didnot enjoy.But otherwise,we had a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel.P.s-The boat jetty to take a ferry to Fort Kochi is just a 10 min walk from the hotel.The ferry ride costs just Rs 4 pp one way.Details can be obtained from the hotel reception.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and effort in sharing your feedback and compliments of the hotel.

We are glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at our hotel measured up to your expectation. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

We have made a note of your feedback. I would also like to assure you that the matter has been discussed with all concerned individuals and related development needs have been addressed to ensure such reoccurrences can be avoided.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of our best attention and services at all times.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We recently spent a week at the Taj Malabar with our two young daughters, aunt and my mother-in-law.
Our arrival was somewhat marred by a booking mistake (on the part of Taj hotels, not us) and we were taken aback that the reception team initially expected us to pay for wi-fi to dig out e-mail proving where the problem lay! We also noticed that all around us new guests were being offered cooling welcome drinks and the like. No such pleasantries were extended to us however.
Setting aside that rather unfortunate first 45 minutes we have to say that this this visit confirmed to us that this is a great hotel with, for the most part, absolutely wonderful staff. We were pleasantly surprised, for example, to see that many of the restaurant staff remembered us from 2 years ago which is pretty good going when one considers how many people must have passed through the hotel in that time.
In general we found the hotel staff - from gardeners to managers -- to be incredibly professional, utterly courteous, kind and helpful.
Staff in the restaurants and the bar in particular are at the top of their game and we thought the service we received from them was consistently excellent. Big thanks to them all!
In addition everything we ate in all three restaurants during our stay was delicious and the kids especially loved the ice creams and puddings!
Location wise some people find the hotel a little remote but we love it for that very reason. It's also very easy to take the ferry to Fort Cochin or across to Ernakulum if like us, you like to explore, but best of all the hotel gardens are the perfect place to watch the ever-changing harbour traffic.
On this visit the monsoon was present with a vengenace but we still managed to swim in the fabulous pool and play croquet, frisbee and pitch n putt on the lawns to our hearts content. We also enjoyed the complimentary early evening cruise.
During our week at the hotel we also chartered the Cinammon Cove Yacht for a 60mins birthday cruise. We felt (well, for one hour!) like movie stars as we sailed around the harbour. Taj provided a delicious cake too. If you have a special event to celebrate we highly recommend it.
Our third floor room was fine and we enjoyed the harbour view but felt, on balance, that we would probably take a room in the older wing on our next visit as the rooms are larger and better appointed for families.
I had three treatments at the Jiva Spa while I was at the hotel and each one was incredibly relaxing. The young Bengali therapist who conducted the treatments was absolutely lovely and again incredibly professional (big thanks to her and apologies for failing to note her name).
Finally, our package at the hotel included breakfast and dinner. The value for money it represented is little short of remarkable for a hotel of this standard. Here's to our next trip!

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms have the view, older wing rooms are larger and better for families.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo B
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

We are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the hotel.

It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience.

Assuring you of our best services and attention at all times.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Beautiful views, superb food, amazing staff ,, i will fall short of words soon for this hotel. I regret staying one night here. Should have stayed longer to enjoy the beauty of this hotel. Firstly must thank Chef Kartik for the amazing food, Aquino for the care taken to manage everything to perfectionist and Sunil for taking good care of us all throughout our stay. The best part about this hotel is it has a heritage wing and the new wing, depends on what you prefer is how you should book your room. They have an every day itinerary where there is cooking taught, some fun activities, the kerala dance and the houseboat ride. The pool and steam sauna is a must use if you are staying here, it is a different feel all together. You must dine at Rice boat for sure as the food is very good. They do have a beautiful garden and a real nice place to sit and enjoy the sea and backwaters. if you are lucky some day then you might get to see dolphins they say(we didn't see any). The rooms are beautiful if you are facing the sea as the view is just too good.

Room Tip: choose a sea facing room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

We are very pleased that you felt well-taken care of during your stay.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of the very best in hospitality in the true Taj tradition, always.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

A strategically located hotel with wonderful ambience and good cuisine. Stay at this place if you are looking for a relaxed non agenda holiday in Kochi. Though a little off the main city, it offers a wonderful theme to be close to the back waters through daily cruises. The breakfast and meals spreads are good.

Room Tip: Choose the Heritage Rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel.

I am glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at the hotel measured up to your expectation.

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and effort in sharing your feedback as it enables us to measure and improve our performance in our quest of providing you luxury hospitality.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Welcome drink, We can not forget that Fresh welcome drink, i came to the reciption next day and ask them to give us that drink again without shy hahahaha, they was happy to did that .

Everything in this hotel was Excellent for Me and My Family ( my wife and I with 2 child ), 3 nights there with smile and happy .

We liked the free lake boat, food , room view, hotel garden for kids and sure we like all the hotel staff becase everybody there will help you with smile .

Thanks to All of you Ladies & Gents,

With Warm Regards,

Abdullah .

• Stayed: July 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

We at Vivanta by Taj Malabar are really honoured to have you stay with us and sincerely look forward to welcome you back to our hotel once again.

We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy to note that you had an excellent stay with us.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Vivanta by Taj- A place I can never forget in my life. We do live in Cochin itself..but myself and my wife thought of speding a weekend in Taj. I was very exicted when I was visiting this place because in my mind, something was telling me that I am going to "TAJ". Right from entering the hotel, I was impressed by their security check because all my baggages were taken directly from my car to their scanning maching! I have been to many hotels in Kerala and this is the first place I saw such a perfect security system. I have seen hotels where we were made to pass through metal dectors....but BAGGAGE SCANNERS.... never. By this...my first impression was "Awesome!". The staffs attended us very well and the treatment they gave us really made us feel 'we ARE in TAJ'. A very beautiful place situated in an Island called Wellingdon Island...A very peaceful island with the best security forces. I found out that the whole Island belong to the government. Coming back to Taj, I was a kind of surprised to see a fully wooden furnished bar when I was going through the check-in formalities. I later found out that there are two wing in the property which is a heritage wing and a modern wing. I prefered the modern wing as I felt it is much more nearer to the Sea. The rooms were clean and tidy. Our baggabe was brought to our rooms in a golden coloured trolly. All these gave us a feeling of a King. The entire stay was soo wonderful that I would prefer to stay in that hotel once again. They had three restaurants and a coffee shops. One was a tai restaurant, one a multi cuisine and finally a sea food. The food was amazing. I would recommend all to try the tai restaurnt as well as the sea food. I really enjoyed the stay in TAJ

Room Tip: A sea facing room on the top floor would be excellent. You will find a terminal in between the sea v...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank joejoshua1442

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj-Malabar, Cochin!

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and posting a great review of our hotel.

We are very grateful for your note complimenting the services and facilities of our hotel. Our endeavour is to ensure each guest is given a seamless experience.

Assuring you of our best services and attention at all times.