“pleasant and spotless”
Review of Fort House

Fort House
Ranked #27 of 207 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Nuenen, The Netherlands
“pleasant and spotless”
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Visited this basic though excellent quality hotel also in 2009 and came back March 2011. It is still pleasant as it was,the rooms are upgraded and in style. No TV, nice garden and splendid jetty. Friendly people, spotless clean, good airco.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank n_wiedenhof

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I went here for dinner on our last night in Kochi after being recommended to try the restaurant. As soon as we got there we realised the service was going to be touch & go. The staff weren't very accommodating when we asked if we could wait for a table with a better view. We were then shown to a table on the seafront but not on the pier.
Before we got our food we had a few drinks and the woman next to me screamed, my boyfriend then shot his legs in the air and I felt a claw scramble over my feet. There were 2 rats under our table!
When we told the staff they didn't even react!
They thought we overreacted when we asked for a different table and when we were finally moved they didn't clear the table for a further 10 minutes!
We sat at the end of a long banquet table with plates piled high around us because the staff were too lazy to clear it.
Honestly there are better places to go, and even though it's on the pier, the view is of gigantic ferries and all you can here is crashing metal and smelly boats.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hannahfp
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Loved staying here. The rooms where modern, clean and comfy. The restaurant on the jetty offered great food at reasonable prices. If you want something more local head next door to the hustle of bustle of next doors restaurant, they serve alcohol there which Fort House doesn't.
I found the staff more than helpful and very pleasant - very important for me when I am travelling alone.
On the whole a really enjoyable stay and I would recommend anyone stays here

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We loved this special hideaway. The staff were very friendly and helpful but unobtrusive. Our rooms were spacious and clean in the new block - very reasonably priced too! Food served on the "jetty" overlooking the harbour was lovely, full-flavoured and cheap too. Taxi's and trips were booked easily by the lovely staff for us. We had a glorious stay surrounded by greenery, wildlife too including hummingbirds, lizards (great!), beautiful huge butterflies and gorgeous flowers. The mosque next door provided the evocative noises that one associates with india somehow. If you want a flavour of the local area this is the place to stay - if you are looking for absolute quiet....try somewhere else! We loved it and would happily tell our friends to go. Recommendations as a walk from the Hotel might include a trip to Jew Town - watching out for all those lovely spice markets. The chinese fishing nets are a must with sunset on the beach (keep your eyes peeled for the dolphins which are wonderful) - the coconut drink is a must if you can find one for sale. The tut-tuts (auto rickshaw's) are great to get you about and cost virtually nothing - these save you from using all your energy up in the heat and let you get to places you otherwise might not find. It is definitely worth asking the hotel to organise an overnight stay on these fab houseboats on the backwaters. We did that and it was blissful. We still paid for our hotel room that night even though they did ask whether we wanted to rent it out for the night we were away (we didn't want to as we preferred to keep our stuff in our rooms). Take plenty of mosquito spray/gel - at least 50% deet - particularly at night. Finally - have a fantastic holiday....you are lucky! We had an adventure.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fifitrixibelle081
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Good hotel in fairly quiet spot, just a short walk from the centre and very near the ferry to Ernakulum. If you arrive by train it is worth getting an autorickshaw to the ferry stop and paying just 5 rupees or so to go to Fort Cochin. Staff were generally friendly, though some of the restaurant staff were less good, and the room was comfortable, although we were adjacent to the road. Would recommend being a bit nearer the water, perhaps, although we didn't find it noisy. The restaurant is set onto and alongside a jetty. Despite the view of cranes and the odd large ship or tanker, this was actually fascinating and a lovely spot, eating by the water. Food was a little more expensive than some places, but much better quality than the dinner we had elsewhere. The fish tikka was delicious. Watch out for the mosquitos, though, and worth knowing that they do not serve alcohol (but there are bars in town if you fancy a drink before dinner). Breakfast was less good. They were not flexible over what you could have for the inclusive breakfast, which was disappointing as we could have had exactly what we wanted for the same price had we not paid in advance. We paid extra for muesli one morning, but it wasn't that great.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank arttrav
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 9 March 2011

The Fort House hotel is really a very pleasant place – maybe the best in Fort Cochin. Entering the gate you feel the special atmosphere of that quiet and beautiful garden and the peer at the waterfront. Every time when I come back from daily excursion I feel like in paradise! The rooms are designed very tasty and rooms and bathrooms are very clean. The restaurant is cooking delicious food and you can enjoy the wonderful view at the peer. Ayurveda treatment in Fort House is also very good and pleasant.

I want to thank all the friendly stuff – they help you if you need anything and assist you also very good at the travel desk. Thanks a lot for the recommendation of the best driver – Ramesh; travelling with him is not only save and interesting, but he is a wonderful person with good English and knowledge.
Thanks of course for the friendly atmosphere and help to Auria, Joan and Nisha! Sure I will come back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MaryMUC_59
Paris, France
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Un extrait du message que j'ai envoyé à Fort House Hotel à mon retour :
"I came in Kerala without any preparation, just because I was fed up of Paris and cold weather, also because I read some books (novels by Anita Nair, for instance, or Arundathy Roy), and because many friends talked to me about that state in India.
I want to say how I was happy to stay in your hotel : I found there beauty, comfort, peace, wonderful cooking, friendly people... and helpful people, like you, Nisha ! As I did not know exactly what to do, you proposed a sort of "tour" with a driver. His name is "Siudiesh" (it's surely a wrong way to write this name !). It was real good idea. This man is perfect, not only as a driver, but also he takes care of "customers" -like he says- as a good father or a good son ! I had real good time in his company. He likes to talk, to laugh, to sing, all things that I like too. If you know a way to keep in touch with him, please tell me : I have friends who will be happy to travel with him... and I surely come back someday myself !"

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo