“Best Place to be in India during Christmas” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fort House

and 1 more site!
Fort House
Ranked #19 of 201 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Luxembourg
“Best Place to be in India during Christmas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

This place was a huge treat! I never thought anything could bring to us the real Christmas moods in India, well I was wrong. In Fort House hotel, Christmas day was full with the charm of Christmas. It is a very unpompous place, quite simple but not at all ordinary and very unlike normal hotels. It has it's own charecter. Me and my husband stayed here for four nights and it was worth every penny. We dined at the restaurant on the first day, the food was so excellent that we ate every meal there during our stay. Unlike the other restaurants, we dined at during our three weeks of travelling through south India, the food at Fort House was of exceptionally good quality. The Christmas buffet even had spaghetti which was cooked to perfection! My husband and I made good use of the ayur vedic treatment center which is a part of the hotel, they offer very good service for decent prices and they are very clean. It surely is a place worth staying at in Kochi.

• Liked — Water Front
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Blackham, near Tunbridge Wells
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

Provided you stay in the newer built block, this hotel is good value. Evening meal was very good too, with lots of fresh fish and seafood dishes. The rooms were were clean, well equipped and with a/c. The bathroom was fairly new - shower worked well AND had hot water any time of day. Each room has chairs and table outside where you can relaxe and watch the world go by. Breakfasts simple - but someone needs to teach the cook how to make decent scrambled eggs. The main plus is the hotel location - right on the quayside and so you can enjoy your meals looking out across the port, watching the boats go by. The main chinese fishing nets are about 10 mins walk away and the ferry boat dock about 3 mins away. The main downside about this hotel is that it does not serve alcohol so you need to bring your own in - or go next door to a down market bar called the Seagull which also has good views.

I was a bit nervous about this place when read other Trip Advisor reports (read them after hubby had booked the place!) so was pleasantly surprised. I think the trick is to avoid the old accommodation block.

One other tip is to shop around before making backwaters trips houseboat bookings. They vary widely in price and quality. We were done - you soon get to realise this when you see others' boats!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no alcohol served - no license
1 Thank basilcat98
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2008

I have to admit that we didn't actually stay here, but came here for the food. It was the best meal I had in Kerala, and I am still longing to go back for another authentic Kerala thali lunch. The hotel is beautiful, and a great value. Next time I'll stay there.

• Liked — the restaurant
1 Thank Remoonie
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2008

The accommodation and setting of the Fort House are great. It's in lovely gardens with a jetty set with dining tables in the evening, and the room we had was very new and clean with a nice bathroom.

I would offer a word of warning on agreeing prices with them though. We booked via email and had asked for a room in the old block and confirmed the price - it was only on checking out that we discovered they'd moved us to the new block, and were therefore charging us twice as much per night. They hadn't been up front about this, and as we didn't have the email to hand we found ourselves seriously depleted of cash - and feeling very frustrated and ripped off.

Which was a shame, but you could argue that we were a bit too trusting. Otherwise, I'd recommend the hotel.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bagneux
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2008

I happen to be in Fort House while I write this review. It's a pity that such a place has not been mentioned in the most sought after travelers bible The Lonley Planet. Incidentally I follow the Lonely Planet too. During my 7 days stay in Fort Cochin I checked in and out of two other places before I accidentally walked into the enchanting garden of Fort House Hotel on Calvathy Road. Treated myself to an amazing Ayurveda facial treatment followed by a wonderful vegetarian platter. Fell in love with the place and spent my last three days at Fort House pampering myself with Ayurveda treatments, and the best food ever. Don't miss out the different fish preparations - they are just amazing. The staff and people are warm, unobtrusive and very helpful. The rooms are special, simple and clean. Would say that a place like this is what many of us looking for!

• Liked — safe, clean and beautiful
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Chennai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

We, a group of 7 adults and 4 kids, had dinner at Fort House hotel on Saturday, 5th July,2008.

The food was very good. Portion size was good. Prices were decent. Taste was very good. The Kerala prawn curry and Vegetable Stew was amazing.

4 of us are Hotel Management graduates from IHM Bangalore(1 is a very senior Kitchen Consultant/Chef in a leading hotel in Kochi) and we found that the curries tasted differently for different items. Generally hotels, give different names but the food would taste the same. We were very happy that we chose Fort house for dinner since we were particular that we have authentic kerala food. We found this place after searching for a restaurant for nearly 45 mins.

Everyone of us came back happy.

We would have been happier if we had a glass of beer with our food, but the overall experience with your place was so good that we didnʼt miss the drink. (no Liquor on campus)

If you are in Kochi(Cochin), Kerala, plan to have atleast one meal at The Fort House. It serves authentic Kerala Food.

• Liked — Excellent Service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

My father and I travelled to India this year. It was one of the most adventurous experiences in my life. The colours, faces, tastes and sounds leaves a mark in your life. We loved our time in Kerala specially the time we spend in the Fort House hotel, we stayed here for almost three weeks and cancelled our journey to Tamil Nadu because we enjoyed out time here. The management was very helpful and organised everything for me and my father. The staff was specially helpful and attentive. Fort house served us the best food we ate in India. I still miss doing my yoga rituals at their peer at dawn. Very beautiful!

• Stayed February 2008