“Ok stay, clean, nothing special”
Review of John's Residency

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kochi (Cochin)
John's Residency
Ranked #84 of 437 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
“Ok stay, clean, nothing special”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived to an undisclosed tax and a pushy man trying to book us in to any backwater trip/tour he could. This turned us off a bit.

Once we got to our room, it was clean and just what we needed. It was also well located and we had some great food nearby.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Watford
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Spoke to the owner to book by phone and it wasn't too promising as he was somewhat blunt but made a booking anyway as he agreed to have someone there to let me in at 6 am (bus timings necessitated this).
On arrival a young man jumped up from his bed to welcome me and couldn't have been more friendly and helpful throughout the 2 1/2 days I was there. Room was clean, comfortable and basic without frills such as hot water, towels or a/c but the fan was efficient and just about made temp bearable. Wi-fi signal was weak in the room but excellent in the downstairs lobby which was fine for me. I didn't meet owner John as he was away but Rashid was brilliant with directions, suggestions, help and advice for a weary traveller with limited time to make the most of Kochi.
The position is ideal in a fairly quiet back-street but just a short walk from the ferry to Fort Kochi which takes about 20 mins and costs 4 rupees (4p). It's likely to be a far better budget option than staying in pricier Fort Kochi itself esp for accessing buses and trains in the city centre. Erakulanum Junction is 5 mins by auto-rickshaw. There's also a good choice of cheap and excellent restaurants nearby. No breakfast included so I got myself an egg, a banana and cup of chai from street stall opposite for a total of 12 rupees.

Room Tip: A/c is available at a considerably higher price.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Selection of different prices rooms. Cheap, rooms clean enough. We were helped to buy dance tickets and given lots of helpful information about the local area. Close to the train station too- just a cheap tuc-tuc ride away.

• Stayed April 2014
Gap, France
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I had a health problem and I had to wait two weeks in this hotel.
Even if the manager look like hard at the first meeting, he's really a good person, very helpful and very sweet man.
He can change your vision about indian men girls!!!
I apreciated this hotel, you can fell like home, all is based on confidence and for price-quality ratio it's a good place for Kochi.
I was very lucky to come upon this place, it was more easy for me to wait in this condition.

Charlène

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Charlène D
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Cochin was my first destination in India, so I was looking to have a room booked for my late arrival. I finally got hold of them on the phone and when I asked if I could get an email for confirmation - I was told a flat out "no."

I arrived and thankfully my room was booked. The rooms were clean and basic, although I felt not of value for the price I paid. The young manager was quite rude and not helpful at all.

I chose to stay in Ernakulam because I was looking to be close to the station to get the first train up to Goa. However, for those looking to actually stay in Cochin and enjoy the town - I recommend you stay in Fort Cochin, where all the sites and better options for accommodation are.

In a nutshell....John's Residency was fine, but just fine. Nothing more.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank davejdunn
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I went 2 times and when ever he see's my face eh sayas no room then i called made reservation on arrival he said to my friend NO INDIANS allowd in hotel. i told him my friend is leaving and i am checking in and suddenly no room was available and he was shouting andf being very rude and agressive.

Room Tip: avoid this place thye owner is very rude man
Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank artimomo
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Just tryed to book this room as it had got good rewiews here on tripadvisor, but the manager was very rude when i spoke to him in the telephone. He questioned if we really would come to his hotel and was for some reason unvilling to give us the room. I think the first impression is the most important and this was NOT a good first impression.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family