During a trip to India last year we experienced several of CGH Earth's hotels. To give a bit of background, CGH Earth is a chain that specialises in eco-friendly boutique hotels and accomodation in South India. The Brunton Boatyard is the hotel they have in Kochi (Cochin).
The hotel itself is built on the site of an old Victorian shipyard in Fort Kochi and you can tell they have tried to keep the architecture and decoration true to the style of the era. The hotel is big but it wasn't very busy as we went during monsoon season. As we walked in we were immediately greeted with a drink and sat in the reception lounge while staff took care of our luggage and checked us in. The staff was generally very helpful, discreet yet available as you'd expect from a high class hotel.
Our room was lovely, with a little lobby, then the bedroom, bathroom and a little balcony that overlooked the swimming-pool and the bay of Kochi. Everything was nicely furnished and very clean. Electricity did seem a bit iffy (when trying to use the iron) but that's a common theme in India so we weren't worried. The air-con did work properly and was rather silent.
On the ground floor there is a swimming pool with sun loungers and the possibility to order drinks and food. There is also a private jetty from which day-trips around the bay and the backwaters are organised. Ayurvedic massages are also available (albeit quite expensive) but we didn't try these.
True to the heritage of the city, the hotel restaurant offers a delicious mix of Portugese, Syrian, South Indian and Dutch cuisines with great success and the staff is again very good.
The hotel is located by the Chinese fishing nets, with all other sights and cultural landmarks of Kochi very easily accessible - a visit of the area (and a good guide!) is a must in a town with such a rich and varied history!
The only downside is that Kochi is the 2nd biggest commercial harbour in India so the view from the balcony was not the best (unless you can mentally dismiss the cargo ships that come in and out in front of the hotel). The hotel is also by a jetty where boats ferry people from one side of the bay to the other so boat traffic is very heavy all day and most of the night. Saying that, we did not find it a bother, more of an eye-sore! I still managed to take nice pictures of birds and sunsets from the balcony!
In short, boutique hotels obviously don't come cheap, but if I could afford it, I would definitely want to stay in the Brunton Boatyard again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This CGH Earth property is located in Fort Cochin, right in the middle of all the historic monuments, right in front of the mouth of the harbour, and with a magnificent view of all the grand ships coming into Cochin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Odigeo, Agoda, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Brunton Boatyard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brunton Boatyard Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Brunton Boatyard Kochi (Cochin), Kerala, India
- Brunton Boatyard Cochin