“Charming place and incredibly lovely staff”
Review of The Old Courtyard

The Old Courtyard
Ranked #36 of 212 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I absolutely love the Old Courtyard Hotel; it is a little oasis of tranquility off the hurly burly of the surrounding streets. It's not a high luxury place, so it's helpful go with realistic expectations, but its charm for me completely outweighs any tiny niggles (e.g. occasional very minor plumbing idiosyncrasies, pillows a bit too hard for me). The whole atmosphere is delightful, and the staff are SO friendly, smiley and helpful, it makes you long to go back the minute you've left! The mango tree in the centre of the courtyard was sadly struck by lightning a while back, so lacks its top…but no matter! (What's a trip to India without a surprise along the way?) We really enjoyed the food: yummy breakfasts (Indian or Western) and several lunches: simple but good. (After an overpriced rather pretentious dinner with spectacularly slow service at the Malabar Hotel, I came back and told our wonderful waiter Veneet (sp?) that we should have eaten in: he did his sweet side-to-side nod, and smiled from ear to ear.) Meena, who sits out front and advises on local trips, museums, massages, etc, deserves a special mention: she's delightful, friendly, and extremely helpful and very tolerant of our popping back endlessly with another question. (The day-long backwaters boat trip which she recommend was a huge highlight of the trip for me.) We were made to feel so welcome by every single member of staff and were so well looked after, it felt like home. I owe a very special bottle of wine to the friend who recommended we stay there! (He notes that the musicians who play in the courtyard over dinner are "world-class" in his opinion. Dining under the arches, looking at the twinkling lights…heaven.

Room Tip: Room number 1 is huge (we put our three adult children in it, and had room on New Year's Eve to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

This is such a shame as the setting is beautiful and I have since been recommended the hotel by friends as a great place to stay but NOT to eat in and if u do eat here only eat western food, which is such as shame. We had the local fish curry which was so bland and watery with very little fish, totally over priced and did not taste like kerelan food we have had else where. Also has the fish cooked in banana leaf over cooked mushy and yet again flavourless. Really disappointing meals as the location is so beautiful.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
donyarosa, Manager at The Old Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Madam,
Thank you for your feedback. The management has spoken to the chef regarding your complain. Our policy is very clear on any complains esp on food. We either replace of refund the money if the complain is valid. Thus, when talking to the service staff, who are required to find out from every guests, to get their feedback, none of them recall having served you nor any complain such as you have mentioned. However, we thank you for helping us keep our quality control always in order.
We get numerous guests in the restaurant and the coffee/gelato shop and all our guests are happy with the quality of food and service. But a negative feedback once in a blue moon is always good to keep us alert.
We wish you the very best of the New Year 2014!
Management

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Having read the reviews I thought we'd like this place but was even more del;sighted when we checked in! Our room on the top poor has a great vaulted wooden ceiling and lovely stained glass panels in the windows giving off the most beautiful light in the morning at sunrise.
Comfy beds, good sized shower bath room, fridge, a/c ( we didn't need it with the fan too) and very peaceful, especially given how centrally located it is.
The only downside was the food - really not as good as most other places we ate (e.g. totally overcooked the fish, over boiled and minimal vegetables) and quite expensive
Good value - would always book again in coming to Fort Kochi.

Room Tip: room 5 was fab on top floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We arrived in Fort Cochin at the end of our trip. We had a wonderful stay at the Old Courtyard, where the staff went out of their way to help us with travel arrangements (Meena) & advice on where to shop, restaurants & sightseeing. Our room was very spacious & spotlessly clean with fantastic character.
Our meals at the hotel were great & again the breakfast & dinner staff were attentive & very helpful.
We enjoyed it so much we returned after a sojourn further south.
Thank you very much to all the staff, we look forward to staying again next year

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I had the fortune to stay at this hotel twice. When I arrived the first time I was rather sick and the staff couldn't do enough for me. They were caring and mindful of me. I was given a room on the top floor at the front and it was wonderful. It was huge, clean and quiet. Just the thing I needed at the time.
When I returned after a few days of tours, it was like being welcomed back home (actually because I was still not well, they just sent me to my room and I felt like royalty - 'no sign in required right now you go and rest first'. I was happy to have the same room back. No. 5.
I found the staff friendly, enjoyed a joke and happy to advise on various things. I found the food to be good, even when I wasn't feeling well. Their bbq prawns were delicious.
Because it is an old hotel and mainly in wood, they do a lot of upkeep, especially after the monsoons. Another traveller and I were in fits of laughter that they were revarnishing the whole of the landings at one time. This meant we were treading on a tacky floor to get to our rooms. While that might annoy some people, I thought it was funny and added to the charm of the place.
Summation: As said in previous reviews, if you want a western hotel - go elsewhere. If you want an Indian hotel with helpful staff, good food, clean rooms and something that might amuse you, this is definitely the place to be. A big thank you to the staff who were so kind to me when I wasn't well, and full of cheek when I was ok :). And I mean ALL the staff, reception, waiters and cleaning staff.

Room Tip: I had room 5 which was a HUGE room. Top floor at the front. Quiet, clean and very spacious. It is...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Deb T
Reviewed 4 December 2013

After a month intensive travelling in the South of India we decided to spend our last 3 days in the Old Fort area in Cochin. We were welcomed by the very attentive and efficiant Pilippina Manager of the Old Courtyard . Together with all the staff she really is the heart of this small colonial hotel and makes one feel at home instantly! We enjoyed our stay very much and warmly recommend the hotel. We were staying in the Deluxe room which is very spacious and ozzing with history.

Room Tip: Since this is a very old portugiese building, some of the rooms with the antique furnitures are a li...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ditaZug
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I agree with another reviewer - if you want five star modernity, this is not for you. If however you want a charming room, with antique furniture and a sense of timelessness, then I can recommend this hotel. We had upstairs rooms and as a group of friends travelling together we loved having the verandah outside our rooms as a place where we could sit together and chat or read.

Staff were helpful and breakfast in the courtyard was good. Also a great position - within walking distance of most things we wanted to do.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends