“Great for a long stay in Cochin”
Review of Phils' Residency

Phils' Residency
Ranked #72 of 207 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
London, UK
“Great for a long stay in Cochin”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Phil's Residency is off the main drag of Fort Cochin in a quiet street.

Large apartments that are very clean with fans and a/c. Modern but perhaps a little sparse and lacking character.

The room had no toliet roll so bring your own and we had to ask for an extra towel as only one was provided. Neither point was an issue and Sony was more than happy to provide extra towels.

Breakfast is delivered to the room but compared to other places we've stayed at, the breakfast was poor.

For a short stay this place was functional and served us well. For longer stays however, it would perfect. The space, lounge area and cooking facilities are a great bonus.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank 999Reviewer999
phils682001, Manager at Phils' Residency, responded to this review, 13 November 2015
Greetings from Phil's Residency….!

It's pleasure to know that you were satisfied with your stay at Phils Residency.We would like to thank you for your valuable review in Trip Advisor.

Team Phil's Residency

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

This beautiful and modern hotel is convenient to shops and restaurants, on a (mostly) quiet back street. The hotel staff is gracious, friendly and very helpful. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortably furnished, although it could have used some art work on the bare walls. A couple of minor quibbles: the water pressure was inadequate to keep the shower functioning without holding the diverter valve in the engaged position, and a neighbor's dog occasionally barked at all hours of the night. We would happily stay here again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mainepod

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Nice and clean place to stay in a quiet and safe area. We stayed here our first night of a 3 weeks tour of India, and I definitely appreciated the Western style bathrooms and high standard of cleanliness. Would definitely come back next time I visit beautiful Kochi!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kat M
Sony I, Manager at Phils' Residency, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest,
We are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the hotel. It is indeed a team effort with an unwavering goal towards guest satisfaction, which constantly motivates us to be on our toes.

It is truly rewarding to note that your stay with us was comfortable and it is our constant endeavor to serve you better.

Looking forward to serve you again.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was quite surprised woth the location of the hotel. I felt as if I walked into an apartment and not a hotel. However the service and the staff made me feel that I walked into a five star hotel or a better one. The staff are truly courteous and never complain for the numerous times you call them for help. The manager was too too friendly and very helpful. He helped me find out the way to a famous local temple near by. A complete worth for the money

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Rramzzy
Sony I, Manager at Phils' Residency, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest,

It is really nice to know that your stay experience was truly memorable due to our warm and friendly services.
Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of the very best in hospitality.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The hotel is tucked away in a quiet neighborhood (except for one dog) away from the hustle and bustle of the busy streets. I wasn't sure what to expect as there wasn't even room for a blade of grass to grow between properties. To my surprise, we entered a gate and there was a place to park cars, the hotel loomed 4 or 5 stories above us. Inside there was plenty of room in the office/lobby. There was an elevator and large staircase and when I got to the room, I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was plenty spacious and was really an apartment. The dining area and living area shared one room, with a nice balcony if one wanted to step outside and smoke. There was a large flat-screen tv and couch. There was a hand washing area in the hall area and a furnished kitchen that one could rent for a little extra.
The hotel had wifi, which was a great benefit to me, as I have an AT&T iphone and any time I used it in India, AT&T charged would charge me about 100 times more than in the USA. So I would look for places with wifi, and they were very few and far between. Even Lulu Mall didn't have wifi that would work on my phone. This was a big help!
There was a fully Western bathroom, including toilet and toilet paper (an apparent luxury in the area). There was a bucket under the shower, something I never knew what to do with when the nice hot shower was squirting right on me.
The bedroom was super quiet and comfortable with the a/c in the background it was truly a peaceful place to rest. After my 32 hour flight to Kochi, I went straight to bed at 9am (IST) and didn't get up until late that night. There was a chifferobe to hang clothes, it had drawers that could be locked, and night stands, table and mirror.
The property was like new, shiny and clean like new but the very best part of my stay here was the staff. I felt welcomed and appreciated by the staff here. The owner, Mrs. Phil even came by and welcomed me. Sony, the manager, was quick to make sure that the stay was a comfortable one and volunteered many helpful suggestions about restaurants and attractions in and around the hotel and Kochi. He made special reservations with tuktuk to take me around to the Vasco de Gama Church and the Bishops Museum, Dutch Palace, waterfront and many other great places to see in Ft. Cochin. This made my staff even better since I was on a several city itinerary and never been to India, any and all advice about attractions was very useful to me. Sony, the manager, said that he was trained in hospitality and tourism and he really knew his stuff.
The included breakfast in the morning was very tasty. It was served to me, in my room, when I wanted it with tea or coffee, it was just another super amenity of Phils'.
The room was a real value with the location, new condition and awesome staff.
I will definitely be staying here again if I ever get back to India..Phil's is truly an Oasis in Ft. Cochin.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank John H

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I arrived at this wonderful hotel very ill..the suite was very modern and clean and then the staff took over! I was nursed for two days and on the second they bought me a birthday cake and the owners came in especially to see me. The manager is superb and goes the extra mile whenever you need it, in fact they turned round my holiday and I will never forget their kindness, professionalism and superb hotel

Room Tip: Kochi can be a bit of a hell hole and this makes it all worth it..great value