“Sanctuary in the middle of a bustling city”
Review of Old Harbour Hotel

Old Harbour Hotel
Ranked #2 of 202 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Abu Dhabi
“Sanctuary in the middle of a bustling city”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

All I have to say is WOW!! Forget the modern slick hotels, this hotel has true class and is beautifuly designed. They have a wonderful spa and yoga instructors as well!! The food was amaaaaaazing and the chef would come to your table to check up on how your experience was. I mean this hotel had it all, it felt too good to be true. The owner and family/friends were so welcoming and warm. We got lucky as well!! The night we stayed there we had two superstars staying there as well, MIA the singer/rapper/artist and John Abraham a huge bollywood star!! I mean come on, what else do you need to know this hotel is legit. Anyways I wish them continued success and all the luck in the world..

Room Tip: we stayed in the "Burger Room". Very romantic!!
1 Thank Georges S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jaipur, India
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I was in Cochin and due to some problem I have to change my hotel, I ask my driver that if he can suggest some hotel to me so he take me to this hotel. The price was little bit high as I was looking for some budget class hotel and certainly this is not a budget hotel. Anyways it was night and i was too tired so I just hired this hotel and went into the room and sleep. The rooms were good. Nice, clean and comfortable.

In the morning I wake up and then I started looking at the hotel, the view was superb, The COFFEE which they offered was out of the world. I was wondering that why I didn't come to his hotel earlier. I can't explain my feeling of the morning here. The only thing which I can write here is that this is a GREAT HOTEL and I love my stay here

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Arpit_Jaipur
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We started our stay at the hotel with some misunderstanding about which room had been booked, but that turned out to be due to our travel agency and not due to the hotel. The hotel managed and solved this very satisfactorily, so we ended up having a great stay in this beautiful hotel even though it was in a different room than what we had expected.

Our room was one of the garden rooms on the 1st floor with a very nice view of the garden. The whole hotel, including the room, is simply beautifully decorated while keeping the heritage character intact. Perfect!

Service, food and amenities were all very good, making this an unforgettable stay. Seafood dinner was excellent!

We will want to stay here again when we return to Cochin.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the garden if you want wifi signal in your room. Consider booking early as t...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

India is without doubt a unique experience. It takes some adjusting to for most European travelers and there is no doubt that the Old Harbour Hotel helps with the adjustment. Behind the walls lies an oasis of tranquility, a very good restaurant, a lovely garden and a superb swimming pool. The bedrooms are adequate and the beds uncomfortably low and hard. The owner has selected his staff well. Chef Rahim turns his hand to most culinary challenges with great enthusiasm and varying degrees of success, front of house managers Jude and Venita are both very welcoming and speak excellent English and the waiters are to a man, genuinely friendly and professional. The Old Harbour Hotel is undoubtedly one of the best hotels in the Fort Cochin area (Brunton's Boatyard is also looks to be well worth considering) but the owner knows it and charges accordingly. The room rate will make your eyes water and you have to try quite hard to ignore the fact that one night here is the equivalent of two weeks wages for most of the hotel staff. And they don't mind charging you for the day trips either. You can certainly get cheaper deals by using local tourist information centres for trips to Kodanad for the elephant bathing (don't bother), Munar for the tea plantation experience (go but don't stay over) and Allepy for the Kerala backwaters (wonderful contrast to the dirt and heat of the towns but book separately and make sure to hire a new and classy house boat if you are even thinking about staying on the water overnight, the one that Old Harbour booked for us was second class to say the least). The hotel will add a hefty chunk (as much as 50%) to the price and the experience I would warrant is pretty much the same with the exception of Josey the hotel driver who is friendly, careful and knowledgeable. On the whole the hotel lived up to its billing although I have to say I have stayed in far better 'Small Hotels of the World' of which the Old Harbour lays claim to membership. Then again it is India we are talking about and as I said it does take some adjusting to for some of us European travelers.

Room Tip: Book a room in the main hotel they are all large and airy. The garden bugalows are not worth the upg...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DezCheltenham
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My recent stay at the Old Harbour Hotel was like heaven. My friend and I had been traveling all over India, in many homes, hotels and different situations. It was like arriving to an oasis. It is peaceful, quiet, done in impeccable taste and style. At night, upon returning to our room, there were jasmine flowers on our bed with their wonderful fragrance. Beautiful artwork on the walls in rooms, hallways and entry areas. The staff is very friendly, open and helpful. One can tell they are happy to work there. Dinner was a fabulous experience- tables out on the lawn overlooking the pool and classical Indian musicians playing to serenade us. There were lights in the trees to add to that magical feeling. The food was great and we had no desire to go anywhere else for dinner. I would definitely go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: We were in a simple room upstairs. I am sure any would be great.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gita G
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

An absolute gem of a place and a wonderful finish to an extended tour of India. The Old Harbour has managed the perfect blend of small-scale intimacy with the kind of attentive yet never intrusive service normally only seen in top-end luxury mega hotels. Perfectly placed by the Chinese fishing nets just a step outside the front door, but insulated from the hustle and bustle outside. The outdoor dining area must be one of the best settings in Kochi and the meals cooked by Shafi are a delight, accompanied by live sitar and tabla music floating across the pool.
The hotel itself has been designed to incorporate the best of the old world, where there are no jarring notes or any feeling of anything out of place. But don't be fooled by the apparent antiquity of the fittings: everything works perfectly. Attention by Rahim and the rest of the staff is second to none, even for 5 AM departures.

Room Tip: Some internal rooms overlook the pool; some ground floor rooms windows face onto the street, but sou...
2 Thank Brian S
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 November 2012

My husband and I spent last weekend in Fort Cochin and stayed at the Old Harbour Hotel--- we LOVED our experience.
The location is perfect: it is a couple of minutes walk from the fishing nets and Fort Cochin in itself is charming with small streets and shops. It is walking (a slightly long walk) from the synagogue and palace.
We had booked a garden view room and were on the ground floor towards the back. From the moment we stepped into our room, we felt relaxed and on vacation. The room itself was really nicely done up with a lovely view of the garden. Since our room was towards the back of the hotel, it was also very quiet.
The hotel itself is very charming. They have a wonderful garden where one can have their lunch and dinner. The swimming pool is big (especially for a boutique hotel)-- so one can lounge around the pool and even do laps if one feels like it. Apart from breakfast, we also had a lunch and dinner at the hotel and really enjoyed both meals- the food was excellent. The chef personally does his rounds to ensure all the guests are enjoying their meal.
What sets the hotel apart from some of the other boutique hotels is the service. The staff were always smiling and despite being fully occupied, each staff member went out of their way to make us feel special. They were extremely accommodating and friendly.
We would def. go back to the hotel and have already recommended it to some of our friends.

2 Thank RadParis