“Excellent choice!”
Review of Hotel Fort Queen

Hotel Fort Queen
Ranked #68 of 229 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 21 March 2011

One, if not the best choice in Fort Kochi! I drove around and checked many other hotels, but his one had the friendliest staff, cleanest rooms and most attention. The beds are very comfortable and.... it's silent at night! Very important in India after beeing exhausted of all day hornings!!! I slept like a baby.

For travellers with a vehicle (like me) it is important to know, that they offer a guarded, very safe parking.

Another advantage is the walking distances to almost all touristic attractions.

I would have wished they offer WIFI-Internet. But I was told that soon it will be installed. Perfect!
So all in all I cannot confirm the bad rates further down. I think they just had bad luck that day or had a lousy tour organisator!

Cheers to you all

Thierry Wilhelm
Switzerland

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank langga9

Reviewed 21 March 2011

I was based at this hotel for one month earlier this year, I was very impressed at how comfortable and clean the rooms were. The hotel has a very welcoming atmosphare,
and from the manager down all staff were delightful, friendly and could not do enough
for the guests welfare. The hotel also has an excellent restaurant and a good location.
I will defenitly stay there again

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Holidays2011_01_02
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This new boutique hotel in the midst of Fort Cohcin is like an oasis. The markets and shopping right outside the door. Beaches are just a tuk tuk ride away. Fun and activities all around. At the end of the day the Fort Queen provides rest relaxation in immaculate rooms nice restaurants and a staff that provides over the top service.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobbryant
Reviewed 19 February 2011

The staffs were extremely helpful and friendly in providing" #1 Customer Service".
We had 3 rooms for 4 adults and 1 baby,they took extra time and effort to prepare baby food,which was not their chore.Free Breakfast and Newspaper and late checkout can be arranged.Ask for Praseetha or Thomas for any assistance about the City,Food and Tours.The location of the hotel is a little further from Fort Cochin but there's an excellent Auto Rickshaw Driver,'Shameer' to assist at any time,call him @ --.There's no going wrong staying at this hotel just like the previous reviewer commented ,make your request clear and brief.I had no trouble dealing with the staffs and they had no problems accommodating my needs.In short we had a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mannysuresh
Reviewed 25 December 2010

This is a good hotel within walking distance (1-2km) of the attractions in Fort Kochi.
The rooms are of decent quality -- adequately sized and sufficiently furnished. The hotel is good for south Indian and continental food but do not order any north Indian food here.
The hotel offers good quality complimentary breakfast and has one desktop in the lobby with complimentary internet access for its guests.

All that said, the front desk staff seemed to be a bit confused and amateurish at their tasks. They were trying their best to help but were unable to. Questions and requests had to be repeated many times (maybe due to the language or accent) and sometimes they didn't have info about their own locale.

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank NemoNik
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We wanted to end our trip in India with a few days in and around Fort Kochi chilling out. The hotels in Fort Kochi itself were full or expensive when we checked on the internet before we went, and I had little idea of Home Stay accommodation, so settled on The Fort Queen as being close enough and priced reasonably. This proved to be right. It is about a 40 minute walk to the fun in Fort Kochi or IR20-30 in an auto rickshaw. We had a suite with a decent bathroom, AC in the sitting room and bedroom, TV, fridge, kitchenette and was generally well presented and equiped. The staff were really friendly and helpful, which is why I was quite so suprised at the lack of efficiency. I ordered a couple of bottles of beer for the room fridge, and had to call down twice over a period of 40 minutes and resort to demanding the service being provided before finally getting them delivered. We booked a couple of trips, one elephant washing in the river one day, and one backwater cruise the following day. The first trip turned out to be both trips in one day and the following day would have been a repeat had we not cancelled when we found out by accident. We sent some clothes for laundering and ticked the box to have them returned on hangers. We had to chase up them being returned the following evening, not on hangers but folded and containing someone elses trousers and shirt. None of these things where major problems, and you got the feeling the staff where trying, but its not enough for a hotel that wants to be a player in this price bracket. Nice enough hotel, really pleasant staff, but the efficiency lets it down.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis S
Reviewed 21 February 2009

I will really begin with the very first moment I checked into the hotel and let the reader decide if they will like to stay at the hotel with a staff so inefficient. Before I begin, I will like to reiterate what I told the hotel staff that stay at hotel is not about money, rather about service you provide to the customer.

I was searching for the room to spend 2 nights at Kochi and I think it was unlucky day for me to land at this hotel. I was enticed to stay at the hotel by the manager who lied and hide the facts. He said that his is the "only hotel with a star rating in Fort Kochi" and home stays in Kochi exceed Rs. 3000 per night. He also offered me two discounted options for the deluxe room I stayed in. He said, Rs. 2000 for room and breakfast and Rs. 1750 for room only. Since I was traveling with a kid who is 2 years old, I preferred the first option. The breakfast with room service at the hotel costs Rs. 100 per person including taxes and room service, so I had definitely chosen an expensive alternative just to make sure that the stay would be comfortable.

As soon as we checked in to the room, the used water bottles were still there and the glasses were not cleaned. The toiletry and towels were missing and the air conditioner was noisy and inefficient. When we rang the room service at 7:00 AM in the morning, no one picked up the phone. Was this any better than home stay? I believe not.

The first day, in the morning when we asked for breakfast, the lady at the room service simply said that the "breakfast is complimentary and you need to come down to have in in restaurant". The very moment I got really irritated with the gross attitude. I pay Rs. 50 extra to come down with a half sleeping 2 year old kid to have break fast? And manager remained in the meeting for 2 hours!! What a lie.

Well, I think I made my point clear and the receptionist arranged for the breakfast. I never expected to altercate for Rs. 50 at so called 3 star hotel. Anyways, I tried not to disturb my so beautiful experience and let the moment go. I then during the day doubly checked with the receptionist that I had a flight at 9:00 AM in the morning and will need the breakfast ready at 7:00 AM sharp. I told her very clearly that I will like to go without breakfast and change the plan if the hotel is unable to arrange for it. Well, I think she had been trained to disregard requests and lie, which she perfectly did. Next day, at 7:15 AM, I was asked to come down to the restaurant again, for the same reason, that the "breakfast was complimentary" (lol). Well, I was in no mood to altercate because of the scheduled flight and went for the breakfast. Guess what, the worst thing was waiting to happen. There were only 2 people to serve at the restaurant with breakfast really not ready and 10 guests waiting. We waited for 5 minutes, with none of the staff having enough courtesy to even ask or tell that we will be served soon. This was enough to rate the hotel as terrible. And it will be half the story if I do not tell that the receptionist talked to the manager but did not let me talk, because he said "manager was out of network coverage".

They disturbed our trip to Kerala which was otherwise really wonderful. I wish the hotel investors is/are listening and if the manager is the investor himself, then it is anyways doomed.

I think, this hotel is being run on lies and travel sites who get the room booked in bulk, otherwise anyone planning to stay at the hotel should stay away from it.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
5  Thank engupta