“Not what expected ”
Review of Chackupurakal

Chackupurakal
Ranked #85 of 488 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Booked in advance as I was arriving 2am with kids.

Good: nice , spacious and comfortable .

Bad: overpriced , was told its peak season but I didn't see anybody rise apart from another couple . Sonia the manager is super helpful . Breakfast is basic and not many customers . WIFI IS HOPELESS even I inquired before coming.

Planned 4 nights but leaving after 2.

Never book online there are plenty of home stays which you can book on spot after inspecting rooms and bargaining .

Not much to see or do in Kochi. Beaches are dirty , see food stalls on beach side are 100% dodgy . Hard to find good restaurants.

Best thing was to hire a Auto risk haw for Rs100/hr and go around the town saving you walking in hot and humid climate.
John to Munnar and hoping for a better experience.

Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Additional value: the hotel is located in the village area of Kochi, just 10 min to walk to the touristic area, so you will get a lot of the normal life and can eat in the village restaurants around
the bathroom and the rooms (we moved because of a Munnar trip) were always clean, the rooms nice simple, adequate for a one week stay. Warm water was there every time, the breakfast was really good and fresh and always served from the really friendly staff, they also gave good tips for eating in the surrounding area.
The Munnar trip we had was with a really good and reliable driver from destination holidays (Simon A.). The Hotel in Munnar, booked through the Chackupurakal could not keep up the standard of the Chackupurakal - unfortunately, so that the night there was not the best...
the taxi driver at the end of our stay back to Ernakulam was a bit expensive for the drivers ability, and if this driver we had, an very old man, wants to stop, please take care of your wrist - he will take it and tell you: "no diabetis, no cancer, no liver problems..." - in one way a story funny to tell, on the other hand an infringement of limits between man and woman.
Palladio would cry because of the proportions of the villa - but alltogether it is a really nice complex with a superb garden and far away from the street to have good nights. The matresses are really good to sleep.

Room Tip: try to get a room in the upper floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Our stay in Chack Inn was a delightful experience. The place is spotlessly clean and immaculate. The rooms are so spacious and grand, like a palace. My sister's family traveling with us needed additional beds for her kids in her room and the Chack accommodated cheerfully. Sonia, the manager, is a pleasing, helpful lady and she ensured that we weren't lacking anything - restaurant recommendations, sightseeing tips, etc. The breakfast included freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee / tea, egg omelets, and toast. The dining area is grand and spacious like the rest of the house.

My sister was able to park her car in their spacious lot for free and Sonia gave us tips for the car-ferry to go to Cherai Beach in Vipin Island.

For the small cost (Rs. 2400 a night), the Chack is an unbeatable deal. We have pleasant memories of the place and Cochin and we can't wait to go back there!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank George J
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This place is nice and a reasonable price but outward appearances are deceptive. It looks like an expensive Italianate mansion but in fact it is a pleasant homestay
Good rooms. Pleasant staff
We were bumped there from SajHome next door because he was full

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stayed in the Chack in for 5 nights. It is a spledid mansion, with an impressive entrance. I especially enjoyed sitting on the loveley terasse at night and the very calm and relaxed atmosphere there. My room (as actually the whole hotel) was spacious and very clean. AC, hot water etc worked perfectly. Staff was helpful and friendly and even though I had to change my reservation and the one for my friends twice, it was no problem at all. Sonia tried to help us with all questions and problems...she even organized that I can eat Putte for breakfast on my last day, because I couldn't get it anywhere else. And not to forget the delicious pineaple juice made by Varghese K.V. every morning. For breakfast you get continental style, but I prefer indina food - but I'm sure they do so if you ask (like with my putte) :)The location is also just great. So I recommend it a 100% even for a longer stay.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Saj from sajhome (next door) booked chack inn for us when he couldn't accomodate us for our return to fort cochin. Chack inn looked amazing from the outside (more suited to europe). Look at the photos (ignore the first picture of a toilet). The room was spacious and clean with a comfortable bed. The reported mosquito problem is inevitable in cochin and was resolved us being given some bug killer spray. We only stayed overnight and left very early the next morning so missed the cooking. Worth a stay and well situated in fort cochin.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Staff was helpful and friendly...though there is no view from the room the location of hotel is close to shops and beachside...I stayed there for only 3 nights but I recommend it for long stay....Food was local produce ...you can ask the kitchen staff to make what you want...Rooms were clean but the facilities were limited...Please dont expect all the hotel facilities as it is a home stay....

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family