“Beautiful home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kottayam
Kanjirakkattu Heritage Home
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed for one night - one the way from Munar to Allepey. This home stay is beautiful - we had a large bedroom as well as a sitting room, both lovely. The house has been a family home for generations, which gives it lots of character.The hosts are gracious and welcoming. Two minor quibbles - the wifi wasn't working properly, we were able to check email, but no browsing really; and while there is hot water in the shower its no more than a trickle. Overall though, this was definitely the most beautiful place we've come across in our price range.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank housetolaos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

at kanjirakkattu homestay you really feel like home. what a pity my partner and me didn't get to know priya. but we got to know her mother, srivadesi, who was a really awesome host! the room was spotlessy clean and huge. we had a guestroom with extra bed and deewan, a sleeping room, dressing room and bathroom! breakfast aswell as dinner had been great and really tasty. couldn't ask for a better stay in kottayam. definitely would choose this place again. I saw in some reviews, that u could hear the trains from the nearby railwaystation: thats true. we didn't bother at all. but if you are really sensitive to noise, get some earplugs, as this homestay is worth it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bianca-Mary
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had a three day stay and found it spacious enough for the three of us including a 16 month old daughter. The old lady of the house was courteous and helpful. The place inspite of looking neat and clean, though had severe red ant infestation. A morsel of food or a dead insect would attract them by the hordes and getting rid of them was not easy. Food in the rooms not a good idea, better be kept in the fridge which the owners let you do. The railway track at the back of the house can be an irritant if you are looking for absolute peace. Food is cooked at home by the owner and is simple and traditional. This heritage home is a nice simple place but can be better with some pest control and plumbing maintenance.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PrachiDharia
apporvakeralam, Owner at Kanjirakkattu Heritage Home, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear sir,
Thankyou very much for pointing out the good aspects our homestay and also for the gentle reminder for doing pest control . We have already taken steps for pest control at our homestay . Now we request the guests not to store eatables inside the guest rooms as the guests have the liberty to keep the eatables in the fridge and to use the dining space at any time.
Priya&JK
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I would like to review on the great experience i had with my family at this home stay, Priya and her Mom was great, whit their warm welcome and hospitality with great service at the home stay.

Priya your home stay got us great experience we felt home it was really clean and especially the traditional cottage. Kerala food was great.... thank you very much and continue the good work.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Merwin F
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Returned from Kerela...which is presently completely flooded.

Was there on work and had to find a place to stay in Kottayam and town unknown to me. Priya, the host of this Homestay promised me her support to make my work trip productive, safe and peaceful. She lived up to her words and more.

Indians are known for their hospitality and here one can experience it closely.

The place is well located, right in the center of town...so its easy especially if you're on a work trip...to get on and off bus rides, get autos or even go to the railway station.

Keep an eye for this one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank BhaktiNefer
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

I loved the tranquility and humble beauty of this home stay. It's tucked in the suburban area of Kottayam so make sure you have Priya's mobile number on you so that she can direct your driver to the home. Priya wasn't in Kottayam when my family and I stayed there but her mother was looking after us. We were able to communicate with her just fine and Priya was always a phone call away and still managed to arrange lunches, auto rickshaw transport into town, recommend things to do in Kottayam, arrange a day trip to Vagamon and an early morning cab ride to the station. So it was no problem at all without Priya there.

This is a beautiful family home surrounded by a beautifully kept garden. After weeks of being bombarded by the sounds of crowds of India, it was like heaven to be somewhere so tranquil and beautiful as this home. It's quite close to town - you can walk to the main road by crossing the railroad tracks and catch an auto-rickshaw from there. In town we did a lot of sari shopping and eating.

The food at Kanjirakkattu was some of the best we had on our whole trip - Priya's mother made delicious Appam and fish curry for breakfast, and rice with pineapple curry and fried fish for lunch.

Come here if you would like to experience Kerala as a local and if you want to get some rest and relaxation. Some members of my family don't handle tranquility too well so for them, the fact that the tv wasn't working and Wifi wasn't working (that was a problem with my device, not the home) was incentive to go out into town more often. I happily stayed behind at the home to read and catch up on some writing. A perfect environment to do so.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nivedha T
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

The hospitality at this homestay was exceptional. From the moment I arrived in the middle of the night, and was met by Priya and her gracious mother, I was in paradise! Clean home, pretty garden, coffee on the porch with my newspaper, outstanding Kerala food served three times a day, and many many kindnesses. Priya will suggest and arrange outings, using her trusty rickshaw! She knows it all. A nice touch: when I was out for the day on the water, she made me a packed lunch, so I wouldn't have to buy "outside"! She did the same for my airport wait : I am almost 80, and I felt wonderful the entire time.

Room Tip: The location is down a beautiful lane where one can walk with pleasure. I got the feeling people are...