“An experience not to be missed”
Review of Philipkutty's Farm

Philipkutty's Farm
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Idyllic setting. Excellent food. First rate accommodations. Family atmosphere. Ability to really experience a slide of Indian life. Don't miss the sunset cruise or a walk into the village across the canal. Take time to slow down, listen to the wildlife, absorb the setting. We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to coming back someday.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank David E

Reviewed 27 November 2013

magical location, only accessible by boat. the villas are beautiful and we received a warm welcome. all food was great and the backwaters were beautiful but unfortunately there was a big storm when we were there so we couldn't explore as much as we would have liked. very peaceful place if you are looking for somewhere to unwind.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank leahwestern
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Lots of detailed reviews so far, so we'll skip repeating them. My view was 3.5 out of 5. (It was the most expensive homestay we stayed in, so I'm a bit harsher).

The food is superb, served round a large round table with a revolving centre - which can be a bit odd depending on the mix of people present (around 12 guests in total). We didn't really have much in common with the other guests, so the conversations were limited. From the other reviews, I'd expected more interaction with the family, which we didn't really have - but might just be a timing issue as the homestay was full when we arrived.
Every single meal was very tasty however.

If you want to sit in the shade and read a book, this is a great location. We're not brilliant at sitting still so went on a boat tour for half a day which was interesting, and also went on a village walk by ourselves. The walk was mixed between very friendly locals and less friendly adults who cornered us in a shop and got a bit aggressive when I wouldn't by them some food. We also met some school kids who were (80%) friendly and (20%) begging for rupees. The latter slightly spoiled the walk, and one of them even harassed my wife a bit more directly. The same anywhere in the world I suppose, a few idiots in every crowd.
I would suggest taking a member of staff with you to point out the highlights if possible, and I suspect the begging would reduce.

Worth noting for those not keen on spiders - we had four massive ones in a two day period, :-) The staff were happy to assist with removal. I suspect we were just unlucky as there was some flooding which has probably driven them from their usual habitat.

The rooms are very nice in general though, plenty of space & well carved wood.

I would recommend to those looking for relaxation and happy to pay for a more exclusive location. Some of the other guests we met were back for their fourth visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

This is a spectacular and unique establishment. I don't believe there are many places in the world like philipkuttys: an astoundingly beautiful series of villas on the Kerala backwaters in the midst of a working coconut farm. Each room is gorgeous and immaculate, all white stucco walls and dark carved wood. You look out upon the tranquil river and hear only birds (well, we also heard techno beats from the wedding across the water, tobe fair). They do offer farm walks, cooking classes, and boat cruises but this is not a place for people who need activities or lots of facilities: you have to enjoy peace and quiet, reading and relaxing in utter beauty. The food was by far the best I've had in India, all fresh and cooked by Mummy, the owner's mother, with many ingredients from the farm. We also spent my husband' birthday here and Anu, the owner, got him a lovely praline birthday cake and her son Philip played the piano as we all sang to him. It was so memorable. It's a slice of paradise, truly.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank mysteryguestina
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at Philip Kutty's Farm with a group of friends for a few days. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed into the family homestead and we especially thank Anu, Mummy and the rest of the staff for their hospitality. We stayed in one of the cottages which are very clean and spacious. It was a real treat to wake up in the mornings at dawn and watch the sun rise.
The food was exceptional (rarely have we tasted better!) and is all sourced from the farm or locally. All meals are freshly prepared with utmost care and attention to detail. Servings are very generous and plentiful. For those interested to learn more on Kerala cuisine cookery classes are also available.
It is also worth noting that there are many opportunities to experience the Kerala backwaters from the farm. We enjoyed an amazing overnight stay on a house boat and a sunset cruise organised by Anu. Overall it was an fantastic experience in this calm & peaceful location. On leaving we totally felt refreshed in both body and soul! Can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank olrei
Reviewed 16 July 2013

As the boat drifts across the backwaters to the island where you are to stay, you leave the real world with all its stress behind. You are delivered into a caring, cosy yet exotic cocoon of beauty and a great deal of love. The rooms are spotlessly clean, tastefully furned yet have a home-like quality unlike a hotel room. you are surrounded by verdent palm forest, organic spice and cocoa plantations and wafting banana trees. The waters drift by, sometimes carrying rice boats which seem to glide effortlessly yet aimlessly past sentinels of heron, egrets and cormorants, whilst bright flashes from kingfishers dart above, with their laughter like happy hyenas. I have become part of this loving community, Anu and her family work hard to give us all this divine experience. Give up on amy ideas of dieting - the food is freshly prepared three times a day, with a wealth of sumptuous dishes, and mealtimes a social event full of chatter and new friendships. My bucket list of places to see has shortened considerably, as I just w ant to keep returning here. Better than any medicine, it is somewhere to feel serene, happy, relaxed, where your body rhythms slow to a gentle meditative pace so you live each delightful moment to the full and enjoy each sight and sound. I have travelled to many places in the world - but here I feel I am coming home.

Room Tip: They are all wonderful