Panthalams Homestay
Hotel Ambadi(Thekkady)
White House(Thekkady)
Hotel Treetop(Thekkady)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshis wifehome staylovely familyhot and powerful showerhome away from homecooking classnational parkan excellent cookauthentic kerala foodroof terraceelephant junctiondouble roomticket officeclaus gardenenjoy your staytea plantationstayed here for nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Self and family (wife and 2 kids aged 10 and 3), were on a road trip, from secunderabad--bangalore--thekkady--allepey--varkala--kanyakumari--pondicherry--bangalore and back to secunderabad in end Dec 2013.

Panthalams Homestay was our second night halt. And thanks to Mr Shukkoor, the stay and the experience in Thekkady was unforgettable. He and his family are simple people, who have genuinely good hearts. My younger son, took ill and had to be urgently taken to a doctor. Thanks to Mr Shukkoor...who took it upon himself to get the young fellow to a hospital in no time, in his personal car. For, had i tried taking him myself, I would have firstly not been able to locate the hospital (a beautiful place atop a hill, with a Church next to it and a school)...I would also have found it impossible to manoeuvre my SUV in the labyrinth of narrow roads, Thekkady is full of.

The food cooked at his place was delicious. And the warmth with which the entire family pitches in is inspiring. A few rooms have been added recently and the view from the one we stayed in (top floor, the farthest from the road) was beautiful.

Can't forget Mr Shukkoor for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: top floor...the farthest from the road
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Manu P
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were recommended by a friend to stay here. The rooms were fantastic and amazing value. Shukkur was a great host with a lovely family. They helped us with arranging things to do in Kumily and even dropped us off in some places in his own car. Breakfast is included, generous and delicious!! Stay upstairs in the super deluxe suite if you can the view is stunning and so peaceful. Loved this homestay and it is excellent value for money!! Thank you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fran B
Reviewed 21 January 2014

truly superb. a great time was had by all.
wonderful food. great cooking lessons. incredibly helpful over organising everything. we could not have been made more welcome.
very sorry to leave after two wonderful nights. definitely the classiest homestay in kerala!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank imperialcommander
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This homestay is a real find. You will not be disappointed if you choose Panthalam's homestay in this quirky little town. The homestay is peaceful and you can just sit back on one of the balconies and absorb the sights and sounds of all types of birds.The room was bigger than we expected and really modern with a great balcony and nice outdoor furniture.The manager Abdul and his wife were extremely helpful and recommended some excellent excursions and also helped sort out tickets for us. Abdul even gave me a quick tour of the town on his motorbike and offered me the use of the bike if I wanted. The location of the homestay provides stunning views of the Periyar Tiger Reserve and on Abdul's recommendation we got some tickets for a day trekking at the reserve. Amazing experience and one of the highlights of our trip to India. Abdul also recommended an auto rickshaw driver who took us to the connemarra tea plantation and a local spice garden where we had a tour of the spice fields. Both were excellent. Kumili is itself a good sized town with a nice vibe and although there are lots of shops catering for tourists you can choose to eat in authentic restaurants catering for the locals. We would certainly recommend the shree krishna restaurant on the main road. Considering neither my wife and I are vegetarian we could not believe the diverse range of dishes and we went back several times and simply fell in love with the food. A few doors down, again on the main road, is the 'better bakery'. Do not pass this place even if it doesn't sell itself well from the outside. Make sure you try their great coffee and cakes, and be warned that you will always feel you have been undercharged. A truly fantastic experience made moreso by the generosity of the family at Panthalam's.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patrick D
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at Panthalam's homestay a few weeks ago and celebrated New Year's day there. We booked the honeymoon suite as a treat, (it was a tiny bit more expensive than the average room but really lovely and worth the little extra). The room was modern, clean, very spacious and the bathroon boasted a huge window to appreciate the panorama as well as a big bath, (a rare feature in homestays in India). The balcony gave us stunning views across to the periyar reserve and every day we saw different and beautiful birds. It was an incredibly peaceful place to stay and situated just a short walk away from the main road in the town. At Panthalam's you can enjoy nature from every angle of the property and you are free to eat breakfast or sit out on the long corridor balconies on each floor to be close to nature. Abdul and his wife Nesiya were keen to help in any way they could and they achieved a great balance between privacy, professionalism and generous hospitality. The food was of a very high standard and nothing we requested was ever difficult for them. Their two daughters were delightful and added to the homestay experience by their energy and laughter. My refrain from the minute I arrived at Panthalam's was 'I want to come back here' and I sincerely intend to return. You would be mad to stay anywhere else as the room prices are very reasonable and the family will make sure you have a truly wonderful and memorable stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple