“Disappointing”

Periyar Tiger Reserve
Ranked #9 of 36 things to do in Thekkady
More attraction details
Owner description: The Periyar Tiger Trail is a protection-oriented trekking programme. The trek route passes through hills and valleys.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Go only for the boat ride. You are not likely to see too many animals . A couple of elephants, bison and some birds is probably your best bet

Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"natural beauty"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Periyar is 5 hours from Kochi in Thekkady. The place has too much of tourism which disturbs the animal habitat. The place to stay is lake palace. The hotel is on the lake where you can see animals from by sitting. We saw nice animals from the hotel but couldn't see any elephants or tigers. I think because of the terrain region which is bad for tigers. No tigers. The guides are useless.

1  Thank rndubey52
Reviewed 18 May 2014

While nice scenery and we saw plenty of elephants (did the 3.30pm cruise), Indian bison (water buffalo), deer plus a variety of birdlife, this is not a safari experience. Boat ride of 1.5 hours has no commentary or information on the area and its history (although static info in tourist marshalling area). Do not expect a tiger sighting which is very rare, even in mornings. Plenty of monkeys and some wild pig to amuse you in the car park area. While there is a range of guided walks offerred, I don't expect they bring on anymore wildlife encounters. If you do go, I strongly recommend you pre book your cruise or guided walk as appeared popular with local tourists on our weekend visit and perhaps same in high season.

1  Thank Emanpee
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was perhaps unlucky but I was taken round on a morning Jungle Tiger Walk by one of the most uninterested and uninformative guides I could possibly meet. Yes I saw wild dogs, a rare bird and a couple of other interesting animals but by the end I was pointing out things to him and he was more concerned about phoning his dad and others. Tigers? I was shown one tiger paw mark at a watering hole but it was very dubious.

I was left on a couple of occasions alone in the forest whilst he wandered off only to come back 5 or 10 minutes later with nothing to report. On my return to the hotel, this made my wife shiver.

David Bellamy or David Attenbourough this was not.

One of the few low points of our trip to Southern India

I attach a photo of the Tracker Guide on one of the many occasions he was on the phone. Probably making sure wild Elephants and Tigers kept well clear of us. Aren't you supposed to be quiet and not talk?

It could have been worse. On the way back, I passed coming the other way two elderly Japanese who were at the very start of an all day walk and looked as if they would throw themselves exhausted to the first tiger they may encounter. I felt very sorry for them as the tour was obviously far too strenuous for them to complete.

If you are fit, I would recommend the all day trip which goes much further into the forest and where you are more likely to meet the wild animals. All I had was one tiger paw of dubious provenance.

3  Thank FoodieArch
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed at Kumily and started 5.40am for boating 6 am the gate opened. we took the entrance ticket Rs. 25/person and Rs.50 for car (Foreigner Rs.300/ person). After 1.5 Km we reached parking area and went for the boat ticket (500 mtrs) There are 2 queues one for forest boat and other for KTDC boat both are same rate and same route. Boat fare Rs.150 / person. First boat trip is 7.30 Am duration will be 1.30 hrs. During boating we saw some animals. 9.10 am we are back to the starting point. after boating we had good breakfast near to the boat ticket counter. After spending some 2 hrs in park we returned to the hotel

2  Thank Renjithdas