“A good place for elephant ride and photographs”

Elephant Junction - Day Tours
new delhi
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 262 helpful votes
“A good place for elephant ride and photographs”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a central place in Thekkady where one can have an elephant ride, elephant shower and have photographs with the elephant. The elephants are nicely decorated and dressed up for the ocassion. The tickets are slightly costly and this is a big attraction with the foreigners who are mesmerized by the elephants.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank akshayanshu

• Arabic first
Hobart, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Lovely Experience”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great experience. We loved the elephants. They are well looked after and very healthy. The ride went for about 1 kilometre and was quite comfortable sitting astride on the elephant with only a thick mat between you and the elephant with handles to hold on to. Very good. Our driver, Michael Robert arranged this for us along with many other sights on our trip from Fort Cochin to Chennai.
michael35tr@gmail.com
He came highly recommended and really knew a lot about the really good places to see. We fed the elephants pumpkin and enjoyed our day immensely.

Visited May 2014
Chennai (Madras), India
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“elephant ride”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

this was the best time in my life. Be prepared for a rock and roll experience on the elephant. Trust me its not a smooth ride at all. People with back pain and problems ,,,,enjoy seeing the elephant... dont ride on them.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank apte a
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Depressing - please avoid”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Elephant Junction offers a very standard elephant ride/wash/feeding experience, but I can't imagine anyone with an ounce of empathy enjoying this. The Elephant Junction is listed in several tourist materials as an "elephant sanctuary," and thus we chose it over a few other places. However, we realized our mistake after booking our 1 hour package with the ticketing office.

As soon as my boyfriend and I got on our elephant, we noticed it had a thick rope around its neck and chains around its feet.The elephant we rode seemed exhausted and was constantly hit and berated by the mahouts. Every 10 minutes, the mahout barked a command and our elephant would sadly lifted his trunk to pose. The mahout would snap a picture with my camera and scold us for not smiling. After an hour of this, the elephant was led back to the loading station to give another ride.

Included in our package was an elephant wash and feeding. The poor elephant lies on its side and the whole experience seems more like water boarding for the animal than a relaxing bath. The mahout than asks that you sit astride the elephant while it methodically responds to each command by spraying water at you. Only after this demonstration is the elephant allowed to stand and spend a couple minutes washing itself. It's heartbreaking.

The sight of so many of elephants chained, roped, and forced to go through these staged performances (timber dragging, unnecessary baths several times a day, and long rides through the forest with 2-4 people on its back), was deeply troubling. I urge anyone who wants to see elephants to not support the kidnapping of wild elephants for tourist ventures such as Elephant Junction. A better option is to visit Periyar Reserve or Mudhumalai Tiger Reserve where we saw many wild elephants.

The Elephant Junction "experience" is a thoroughly degrading one - for elephant and human alike.

Visited May 2014
22 Thank NinaKana
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Love being with the elephants”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My second visit to Elephant Junction. I was particularly impressed how they look after their animals. The first elephant I rode it was deemed she was getting too tired so we were walked back and I was given another, I think younger, elephant to ride. Afterwards I spent time feeding bananas to her. Amazing privilege to be close to these creatures. If you have the time, it is possible to get in the pool and wash the elephants! There is a small cafe area to relax with a tea or coffee.

Visited June 2014