“Elephants and Spices”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Green Court Cottage
Ranked #16 of 112 Thekkady B&B and Inns
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Elephants and Spices”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I only spent one night here, but it was absolutely charming, and I would have been happy to stay for longer.

I was travelling around, and the trip had been organised by my hosts further south. I had a driver, and we were also going to see the elephant centre, and the Kathakali dance evening at the nearby culture centre just up the road.

I checked in, and had one of the rooms on the little terrace of four, a little bit away from the main house where the owners lived, and where the meals were served. The room was absolutely spotless, and very comfortable. Well laid out, wardrobe, television, and a very clean bathroom. A bell was there if anything was needed.

I had booked in to have dinner there - it was not included in the price, but as I was there for such a short time, I didn't really have the chance to look around the local area to see what other restaurants were available, so I chanced it. There was another group staying, and they were due to eat at 9pm, so I was booked in at 8.30 for my meal.

It was a shame about this, as I felt very self conscious sitting by myself, and the meal, although nicely cooked, was far too spicy for my taste. The green beans were stringy and tough, and it was rather disappointing, especially as they were so charming, and helpful. I rather wish I had been told what was on the menu, and whether or not it I might want it. This sounds like me being a bit of a prima donna, but everywhere i've been has been utterly lovely, and accommodating with the food, and I don't like waste, so I would rather have known in advance, and asked for it to be less spiced. They were kind in that they brought me some plain chicken (without my asking for it), but sadly, this was inedible as it was so tough!

Then the others came in, and we had a really jolly evening, chatting about our adventures, and I wish we had all sat down together to eat, as I wouldn't have felt so much pressure to eat all they had served me with!

Breakfast was typical Keralan, with rice and spicy curry. The previous hotel I'd stayed at only served toast and jam, and a choice would have been nice considering the price, which wasn't that cheap at 2000 rupees. Again I felt bad, as I really didn't fancy hot curry at all. Usually there are a few choices, and luckily there was some toast, as the others asked for it too!

This makes it sound not a good place, but the house was beautiful, with lovely furnishings and pictures, and the hosts were really sweet.

I didn't see the view or the spice garden that others have written about in their reviews. I'd arrived quite late in the evening, and we left fairly early, so perhaps a slightly longer stay might have made it better.

However, what I did have there was very clean, and pleasant, and the hosts were really delightful people.

Room Tip: I didn't see all the other options, so cannot recommend any other rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Recommend this homestay for its peaceful atmosphere, clean rooms, pleasant and very accomodating hosts Mr. & Mrs. Joseph. They have very spacious rooms. About 4 standard rooms with a common sitting room and dining, 4 deluxe rooms and 3 super deluxe rooms. Well appointed and spacious super deluxe rooms accomodated our family of 2 adults and 2 children. Our room was located amidst the spice garden and the children loved running around and playing in the sitout. Very, very pleasant and superb place for a calming holiday with family. Its location close to the Elephant ride, Thekkady lake and the main Kumily road makes it very ideal. The host family are very sweet and accomodating people. Mr. Joseph is a very humble, pleasant and honest person who puts in his best effort to take care of our needs. Definitely great value for money.

Room Tip: The super deluxe rooms are the ones to choose for a family. It can easily accomodate extra beds.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Excellent place to stay in Thekkady, which is at walking distance from bus stand and market.
Best part was small Spice Garden around it and rooms were very well maintained, which you even don't get in three star hotels.
So definitely good value for your money and owner was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I found this place very peaceful and tranquil with lot of different birds humming in the spice garden in front of the rooms.Its easy to locate and at a 10 mins walking distance to all the happening places and the market. The rooms are clean and neatly maintained. The owner was very co-operative and helpful. You can sit outside and forget when you doze off hearing the chirping sounds of birds. I found this home-stay quite satisfying and good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Tauberbischofsheim, Germany
Reviewed 23 February 2013

A very nice, new resort - high standard - the owner is helping by organizing jeep safaris, elephant rides, rides in Peryar National Park etc.. A good place to rest or as a base for great trips. For the offered standard quite cheap in price.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Very nice place with trees and niçe patio. Just outside the center (5min walk), the Green Court is a very good address. Owner very helpful. The rooms are new dec 2012) and very 'modern' for the region. Upper class style for sure.
Very good value for the money...

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family