“I got to see elephants!”

Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
4-Night Best of Kerala Tour
Sandhurst, Berkshire, UK
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“I got to see elephants!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was a wonderful experience as I was lucky enough to see a mother and baby elephant walking along the lakeside. I think to see the animals, you have to be on the first boat out in the morning, but it's well worth the early morning wake up call. Not only do you get to see animals in their natural environment, but the area itself is serene and beautiful and there is definitely something magical about the place. Definitely a place to visit if staying in Thekkady.

I

1 Thank lynwbsg

London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A Magical time in the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Thekkady, Kerala.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

If your looking for a bit of adventure look no further than spending some time in the Periyar jungle.
There is the excellent Tiger Trail which you get to camp in the jungle which proved to be very exciting and you are in safe hands with the experiencednd trackers a guides. I also stayed at the Gavi Eco huts and was again in the capable hands of a local guide called Raj. His experience and knowledge was fascinating and he certainly went out of his way to make the treks memorable. I also went on the bamboo rafting which was a gentle way of seeing the wild life that was on offer in the park. It has to be said that there was some confusion and poor attitude at the Eco tourism office. A private company has just taken over and would benefit from being taught a few customer relation skills. I wouldn't have been able to do any of this if hadn't been for a guy called Binu. His experience of working in the park was invaluable and he certainly helped me in saving money in planning and booking the attractions I opted to go on during my stay,he also provided a reasonable car service.I understand he will have a website up and running soon but until he does you can contact him at binus29@yahoo.com He will help assist and advise you with the many attractions and make sure your not paying over the odds as there are many private agents that are only to keen to over charge. I can't thank Binu enough for all his help, I had a great time and his help and advise was second to none. I look forward to visiting the park again and when I do I'll be in touch with Binu.

3 Thank Albert C
Townsville, Queensland, Australia
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Pre-monsoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We travelled to Periyar in March 2014. The lake was very low and not much in the way of Wildlife to be seen. The lake boat trips are very well run and organised. Some confusion about all the tickets one has to purchase, however once sorted I am sure would be an excellent day after the monsoons, more water and more animals.
Early morning trips would probably produce more animals coming out of the forest to feed on the grasslands.

Visited April 2014
Greater Manchester
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Many Thanks to Ranger Raj!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

An early morning's Nature Walk with one of the local guides, Raj, was excellent.
There's a bit of bureaucracy with permits to enter the park in addition to paying for the trip (why couldn't it be all included in the payment!), but otherwise highly recommended. Don't do the boat trip…noisy, crowded..and we could tell without being on it!
Otherwise great scenery, the morning light was exceptional across the lake and the wildlife very interesting. Great birds (e.g. Malabar Trogon, Brown Fish Owl, Asian Paradise Flycatcher for the Birder on the trip), super mammals (Malabar Giant Squirrel, Gaur, Wild Boar, Red Mongoose), and a few insects/butterfly and of course flowers and trees. All pointed out by our guide, a local tribesman, Raj. Highly enjoyable for the small (3 person) party. Would definitely do it again.

Carcassonne, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Bamboo trek and raft tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We decided to do the half day as it is pretty hot here now and it started at 7.30am. It was perfect! We were given a picnic bag with breakfast and a bottle of water and set off with our two rangers and a man with a gun - just to be safe!

We were so lucky as we immediately saw monkeys, different types of squirrels, some bison and many birds. But then we came across about 5 elephants - our rangers immediately took us carefully away so as not to disturb them but we got a fabulous view of the whole family. We then went on the raft which is beautiful scenery and saw even more elephants on the trek back - amazing!

They do recommend ladies wearing long trousers and dark clothing and the loo is the wide open space - just FYI !

Visited April 2014