“Best homestay in India”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Periyar Mist Homestay
Ranked #60 of 115 Thekkady B&B and Inns
Denver, CO
“Best homestay in India”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I recommend the Periyar Mist Homestay (91-9497504774; periyarmist@gmail.com) most highly.
The rooms are modern and comfortable, Sulfi and his wife made my daughter and me feel like part of their family, and their two daughters are as cute and friendly as you could wish. Two brief examples of their hospitality:

1. When I asked about the location of the nearest ATM and where to buy tickets for the Periyar Reserve, Sulfi didn’t just tell me where they were, he loaded me on the back of his motorbike and took me there.

2. When they offered us dinner one night, they included us in their family dinner.

When it came time to pay, there was no extra charge for the food, transportation, etc. When I insisted that it was only fair to pay for these things, Sulfi said we could pay whatever amount we thought was proper.

Our experience staying with them was one of the highlights of my month in India.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank DenTvlr

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

I loved this place and was very sad to leave. Cristo was so lovely and friendly that we felt totally at home here.
The room we stayed in was very clean and the bed was really comfortable. The views from the top and fantastic and if you go up at night you can see the wild boar family foraging for their dinner!
I would recommend this place to anyone. Thank you Cristo for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank SarahGabriel9
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Great homestay away from the busy main street of Thekkady. 5 min walk to main street. Cheap , but good quality room with hot shower and fan. Nice local indian breakfast and dinner available. In addtion good advice on available trips at Periyar and services for transport. So definitely recommended!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank RuudCr
Aqaba
Reviewed 18 February 2013

When we arrived in Kumily, we first went to another budget option (one we picked up from the LP), but we decided to also look at Periyar Mist, what was recommended by some guy we met at the busstand. When we arrived we immediately realized that this must be one of the best budget places in town. Very clean and comfortable rooms with a warm welcome. The guy from the bus stand was a cousin from this family and arranged our trekking and also picked us up and brought us to our tours. I brought the kids to school and we ate great Kerala food. Nice family.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maria l
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I had booked a room In Periyar Mist on first week of Feburary but due to some unforeseen circumstances I had to cancel my Thekkady trip. And I informed Mt Sulfi about it only few hours before I was supposed to arrive at Thekkady. I didn't expect my advance money to be refunded but I still took a chance and asked him to refund my amount. And he agreed saying that he cannot refund the entire amount but will definitely refund some of it. And within a day my account was credited.

Can you expect such service anywhere?

I will definitely recommend this homestay to everyone.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank summa_11
Kochi
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This was probablely the nicest budget accomdation that we have been to in Southern India. The family were warm and friendly and willing to make the extra effort to please.They made us feel at home. The place was really nice and quiet. You could sit on the roof and see the hills around or you can sit on the verrenda a see the gardens of the other villas and guest houses around. Walking distance from the center of the town, one has a feeling of staying in the country side.
The room are clean spacious and well kept.
There is a prossibilty of mosquitos at night. bring some protection.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank benari64
Reviewed 17 January 2013 via mobile

Wau, we were SO happy to stay here. This was so relaxing.
Mr Shukoor who runs the place offers, as he called it "maximum service".
He gets you tickets, he gets you on elephant rides when they are fully booked. He drives you and pick you up again.
Fantastic stay, this place i wanna come back to.
We had four nights which was ok, but I wish we had 2 more to relax and enjoy the climat and walk a bit in the city.

We enjoyed this place very much!

• Stayed January 2013