“A journey worth visiting”

Periyar National Park
Ranked #4 of 33 things to do in Thekkady
Pune, India
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“A journey worth visiting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Nice experience specially for children.
beautiful surroundings. Had a good masala tea right at the entrance of reserve. Although the walk to reserve is little far with a small kid, but good weather made it easy. Spotted wild animals like elephants in herd. Good trip!

Visited February 2014

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“OK for city folk but not for people who get out frequently.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

After spending a lot of money on a jeep tour and an exhausting 9 Km trek, (which I did not have the option of cutting short because I was with a group that wanted the full trek, and I was not allowed to walk alone), I only saw one new animal- the Great Hornbill -- plus regular animals like monkeys-- and even in March it was already too hot. Good thing I brought my umbrella. Afterwards, an Indian couple from up north came over to me and told me all about the better parks of India, where they said there were many animals. They sounded apologetic. I thought I could have hung in Thekkady with my wife, shopping and I would have been better off and more relaxed. I live in a rural area with many many more animals than can be seen in Periyar on those tourist treks, so others might like it a lot more.

Visited March 2014
London
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 227 helpful votes
“Good Boat trip - but 4 hours from Cochin”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

A part of our Kerala tour we traveled from Munnar to Thekkady to visit the national park. This journey involved a drive of some 4 hours on winding roads. On arrival at the park - it was clear that the main activities are walking trails and the boat tour. As it was a sunday the park was very busy and getting tickets for the boat tour was pretty chaotic. The entry fee to the park is 375 INR plus 75 INR for the boat ride of 90 mins. We eventually got tickets for the boat tour and really enjoyed the ride - members of staff on the boat assisted with taking photos and spotting wildlife that we would not have seen.

The downside is the journey time from Munnar 4 hours and also 4 hours from Cochin plus the general organisation of buying tickets. I would highly recommend this trip if you are in the area and planning other activities - there is a nice hotel located within the national park called Aranya Nivas, I would suggest staying for 2 days and making use of other activities in the park - walking trails, spice gardens etc.,

Visited March 2014
1 Thank ianthy
New Delhi, India
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good for nature lovers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Dont expect to see much even if u take a 7 o clock boat. Go here for bird watching and enjoy the serenity of the surroundings. Book an upper deck seat online.

Sydney, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Not worth spending long time in the boat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We went there in the evening. (We only have that time slot to visit).
I belive it is better to spend whole day in the tiger sanctuary. So not just visiting place in the boat.
Better spend whole day in the jungle there.
Get in the boat is tough and problem is you are not allowed to get up and take pictures. So if you stuck in the middle row, your money and time wasted.
Better ask for window row.
there were no tigers in the evening. i would doubt that you will get to see them,from the boat.

In the end good place for photography. We took some excellent pictures. and very good views.(May be only good thing about it)

Visited September 2013