“Scenic Boat ride”

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Scenic Boat ride”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The only way to visit Periyar National park is to take boat. There is nice facility inside to sell the boat tickets. While issuing the ticket itself they will provide the seat number, you can request if you the seat on the upper deck. Beware of the monkeys here, keep all the eatables inside. The boat ride was for 90 minutes. We didn't see any animals other than herd of elephants and some birds. But the Boat ride was very scenic. I really enjoyed the boat ride.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank mihirk82

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“timing has to be good”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

i could only spot some elphants, and a bison...maybe it was wrong time fo the year but one wants to spot animals it has to be at the day break. Tiger sitings are very very rare, maybe once in 6 months. I couldnt even spot a Hornbill, which is the state bird of Kerala.. Only bulbuls and yes, Malabar giant squirrel.

Pune, India
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“A journey worth visiting”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Nice experience specially for children.
beautiful surroundings. Had a good masala tea right at the entrance of reserve. Although the walk to reserve is little far with a small kid, but good weather made it easy. Spotted wild animals like elephants in herd. Good trip!

Visited February 2014
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“OK for city folk but not for people who get out frequently.”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

After spending a lot of money on a jeep tour and an exhausting 9 Km trek, (which I did not have the option of cutting short because I was with a group that wanted the full trek, and I was not allowed to walk alone), I only saw one new animal- the Great Hornbill -- plus regular animals like monkeys-- and even in March it was already too hot. Good thing I brought my umbrella. Afterwards, an Indian couple from up north came over to me and told me all about the better parks of India, where they said there were many animals. They sounded apologetic. I thought I could have hung in Thekkady with my wife, shopping and I would have been better off and more relaxed. I live in a rural area with many many more animals than can be seen in Periyar on those tourist treks, so others might like it a lot more.

London
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 229 helpful votes
“Good Boat trip - but 4 hours from Cochin”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

A part of our Kerala tour we traveled from Munnar to Thekkady to visit the national park. This journey involved a drive of some 4 hours on winding roads. On arrival at the park - it was clear that the main activities are walking trails and the boat tour. As it was a sunday the park was very busy and getting tickets for the boat tour was pretty chaotic. The entry fee to the park is 375 INR plus 75 INR for the boat ride of 90 mins. We eventually got tickets for the boat tour and really enjoyed the ride - members of staff on the boat assisted with taking photos and spotting wildlife that we would not have seen.

The downside is the journey time from Munnar 4 hours and also 4 hours from Cochin plus the general organisation of buying tickets. I would highly recommend this trip if you are in the area and planning other activities - there is a nice hotel located within the national park called Aranya Nivas, I would suggest staying for 2 days and making use of other activities in the park - walking trails, spice gardens etc.,

1 Thank ianthy