“Beautiful forest environment”

Periyar National Park
Ranked #5 of 34 things to do in Thekkady
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Loved the vegetation, monkeys and birds. Got some great photos of the trees and, of course, the monkeys!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The only way to visit Periyar National park is to take boat. There is nice facility inside to sell the boat tickets. While issuing the ticket itself they will provide the seat number, you can request if you the seat on the upper deck. Beware of the monkeys here, keep all the eatables inside. The boat ride was for 90 minutes. We didn't see any animals other than herd of elephants and some birds. But the Boat ride was very scenic. I really enjoyed the boat ride.

1  Thank mihirk82
Reviewed 9 April 2014

i could only spot some elphants, and a bison...maybe it was wrong time fo the year but one wants to spot animals it has to be at the day break. Tiger sitings are very very rare, maybe once in 6 months. I couldnt even spot a Hornbill, which is the state bird of Kerala.. Only bulbuls and yes, Malabar giant squirrel.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Nice experience specially for children.
beautiful surroundings. Had a good masala tea right at the entrance of reserve. Although the walk to reserve is little far with a small kid, but good weather made it easy. Spotted wild animals like elephants in herd. Good trip!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

After spending a lot of money on a jeep tour and an exhausting 9 Km trek, (which I did not have the option of cutting short because I was with a group that wanted the full trek, and I was not allowed to walk alone), I only saw one new animal- the Great Hornbill -- plus regular animals like monkeys-- and even in March it was already too hot. Good thing I brought my umbrella. Afterwards, an Indian couple from up north came over to me and told me all about the better parks of India, where they said there were many animals. They sounded apologetic. I thought I could have hung in Thekkady with my wife, shopping and I would have been better off and more relaxed. I live in a rural area with many many more animals than can be seen in Periyar on those tourist treks, so others might like it a lot more.