“poor”
Review of Carmelia Haven

Carmelia Haven
Reviewed 19 June 2014

other than ambience nothing was pleasant during our stay in the said resort . Quality of food and service was very poor at the restaurant. The amenities provided in the room as well as in the bath room was not up to the mark even water tap of hot and cold water was not functioning well. It was not at all pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
4  Thank Dayanand G
There are newer reviews for Carmelia Haven

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Carmeila Heaven,

I visited this place with my family from June-2 to June-7. It was one of the best holidays I have had.

The Property.

Set in a very picturesque location, spread over 55 acres of Cardamom and Tea Plantations. The rooms are well spread out and aesthetically designed. The whole property gives a very pleasant and relaxed ambience. Quite a few of my friends advised against spend 5 nights at one place. But, it was time well spent and we are back completely rejuvenated.

There is ample space for a few out door games along with a Play area for kids. They have a few indoor games too. Cultural shows were frequently organized during our stay.

The Rooms.

We stayed at the Jacquizi Villa and the Deluxe cottage. Both the rooms are spacious and well laid out with all comforts. They were kind enough to offer me an upgrade to the Tree House which, I refused fearing for my year and a half old kid. The view is amazing from the tree house. I wish I could have stayed there.

The Food.

The food was nice and hygienic. We got to taste a few local delicacies as well. Aapam was my favorite. The spread is good.

The best Part – The Staff.

I have never been treated with such hospitality during any of my previous holidays. Every single person, ensured that our stay was pleasant and were ever helpful. Tony, Sijo, Vipin and the elder chef at the restaurant went the extra mile to make our stay pleasant and memorable. They were always forthcoming to meet our requirements. All of them were always smiling and we looked forward to interacting with them during our stay. They ensured that we got food with less spice for our kids. The kids were served with some special snack, cakes, milk other than what was served along with tea.

Jeena, Shiva, Prabhu, Shabin, Duffy, Pappu from the front office were very pleasant and always helpful. We went to Carmelia to relax and had not planned on anything except for seeing the Periyar Lake. They gave us lot of suggestions on near by places and put us on a complimentary trip to Kailasam. Shiva accompanied us to the trip and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Jeena was kind enough to take us on a nature walk.

We were give an amazing complimentary candle light dinner on our eve of departure. We had an exclusive menu. We couldn’t stop ourselves from over eating.

We were honoured when asked to plant a sapling on the World Environment Day(Jun-5).

Overall, it was a pleasant holiday at an amazing resort manned by exemplary staff. Couldn’t have asked for more. I look forward to visit them again.

I am sure, I would have missed a few names. Just want to thank all of you at Carmeila Heaven. You guys are doing a great job. Keep it up.

Last but definitely not the least, a special thanks to Mr. Jiju James (GM) for everything and my aunt, Usha(www.sitl.info) for booking us at this resort.

Room Tip: Try the Jaquzi Villa / Tree House
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Rajyalakshmi S
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very nice property excellent ambience. Difficult to find the property.It is 23 kms away from Thekaddi in a place called Vanthanmedu on the munnar road.Postives great rooms! we went as a group so had taste of all kinds of rooms.All rooms well kept the jacuzzies villas are romantic and private. But the climate is cold so will u get into ice cold water!! kids love the jacuzzi.The tree top house is an experience.It is a Very nice room best in the resort have a realy feeling of staying in a forest.Swimming pool is big but not well maintained.Negatives - food ,front office and room service.Kids love the place.

Room Tip: Best rooms tree top rooms next jacuzzi villas and then delux cottage.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DrRoyTVL
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This place was recommended by a friend of mine who had vacationed here with family a couple of years back. I wish to start with the positive points first. The Reception was reasonable. Too many check ins, which needed some allowance. We were given the occupation of our villa on time. The staff were friendly and attending to needs as much as expected. The Jacuzzi at our villa (though partly functioning) was Rejuvenating. We could find good privacy for the family, noiseless surrounding, breezy flute trail by a old musician, a very pleasant unexpected showers on the second day and a brilliant trip to Kailasam on the third day. the price is not very attractive (on the higher side) yet going by the trend in the similar resorts, we found it reasonable. The massage at the ayurvedic center was worth the time. Now to the negative points: The dates we chose did not coincide with the monsoon and hence for days, the scorching Sun gave some displeasure. The restaurant was very discouraging.[ Generally, any restaurant in any part of the state of Kerala would be very average in my experience of 30 years. Travelers would always be advised to go to VRRs in Railway Stations like Trivandrum, Kollam etc for some great food. Vegetarian food is always given a secondary or least importance in restaurants in Kerala.] Carmelia is no exception. We could find good drivers with cabs for travel to and from the resort and Kochi Airport which was a relief. Lot of improvements are possible.

Room Tip: Cave houses and Tree houses are not that impressive.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank VaidyanathanSuresh
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We [me and my friend’s family] visited the property [both Carmelia Haven & Silver Oak Bungalow] b/w 22nd to 25th May.

‘First impression is the best impression’ but ours was not that great, as we were served welcome drinks in ‘tea/chai’ glasses. I am not saying welcome drinks should be served in gold plated tumblers but we did find decent plain glasses at the restaurant and may be that would have help set altogether a different first impression. The reception staff hardly greeted us and were busy running around, it didn’t feel like we were welcomed and the drinks were provided for the sake of it.

We reached the resort at 12:30 PM IST, and we were told that the standard check-in time is 1 PM IST but only by 1:30 PM we got one of the individual cottages [#205]. With three kids and a 10+ hours journey via road, we badly needed a refreshment but the wait was testing our patience! The wash room at reception wasn’t hygienic enough to use but we had no other option other than using them.

The Reception Manager and the receptionist took us to our rooms after a long wait. They showed us 204 & 205, where 204 was getting cleaned and there was a pungent paint smell. We were told 204 would take another 30 minutes for the cleaning process to be complete, with no other go I took both the families to the restaurant [though we badly needed a shower] as kids were very hungry, hoping that by the time we come back from lunch the rooms would be ready. We were told that as per the reservation, we had booked an individual cottage and a honeymoon cottage but we were fortunate to get an upgrade free of cost there by both of our families would get an individual cottage [i.e., 204 & 205] and gave us the door cards but it was just a matter of minutes, were the worst got worse! One of the reception staff came running and said 204 isn’t available and one of our families have to move to honey moon cottage as per reservation. I was stunned and couldn’t react for a while, how in the world this could happen? It was like showing a candy to a kid and snatching it back! Why would they say we get a free upgrade and then revoke it? How in the world, a customer who just checked-in can be asked to check out? Above all the usage of words ‘Sir, we have no other go other than to put you in a different cottage’ was the icing to the cake! I demanded explanation of why we were given the keys for 204 in the first place and there was no reasonable explanation! It was a heated argument for over 30 minutes on the walk way which was very embarrassing and finally I decided to leave back home and asked for full settlement of the money, which obviously left the reception manager dumbstruck and we were allowed to stay in 204 & 205. What a great first impression, having travelled 100s of KMs with three kids and two families?

The door cards didn’t work, called the engineers couple of times who couldn’t fix it and we had to use the manual keys, which reflects the status of maintenance.

The doctor at the SPA, ooof! Never expected such an attitude from her. She was being very sarcastic, in asking whether I have any diseases and was giggling about my less water intake. As a doctor I expected a little more maturity and not sarcasm. The worst part is you pay and get this sarcasm!

Food, the most challenging part for any resort proprietor, as they have to satisfy a diverse pool of guests who are from varied geographies, preferences and tastes – I understand this and we are open to be flexible, but we can’t manage a ‘rubbery chicken’, there wasn’t enough jamun at the dessert, a silver foil [it looked like a stapler pin] in rava upma, a back biting chef [he was the one who makes dosa and tea] who talks about a customer who had given him negative feedback to every other guest who he meets at the restaurant. It was an indirect way of saying please give me good comments and better not write anything negative about food as I will talk about you to every other customer. Heights of embarrassment!

I guess the cakes kept at the dessert weren’t made at the resort but procured from the local bakeries, I could be wrong but the thick saccharin and hardness leaves it evident.

Barbeque a great disappointment, the photo on the website rises expectation but the reality is ‘Chinese chicken’ is served in plates at the table [provided you ask, if not you wouldn’t even get it] named as ‘barbeque’, which again feels like biting rubber. Rather why can’t we be told that there is no barbeque and the picture of plantation barbeque & grill in the website is removed? [for that matter there was no rain and the climate was favorable during our stay]

The tea was very milky and despite request for a strong ‘tea’ we still get the same. The snack kept at the tea/coffee stall [except the rice cake] weren’t good for consumption, the ‘medu’ vada was very oily and the ‘parupu’ vada needs some real great effort to be bitten, it was very hard.

I wrote a letter [hard copy] & an email to the Director of Carmelia Resorts [Mr. Scaria], its been over a week but surprisingly no response from him or his direct reports yet.

The Silver Oak Bungalow, was spectacular! The variety of food could have been little better for the price but I have personally never witnessed nature in any better form! Kudos to the brilliant architecture, wish I own such a property.

My name is Winston Arockiaraj and I am from Bangalore!!!

Room Tip: I doubt whether I will visit this place again so not sure what to tip about to others...!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Winstonisin
Reviewed 26 May 2014

property in nicely hidden away from most of the hustle bustle in thekkady, we had troubles finding the place though but once u get there u forget the drive ..the cottage was spacoius and lovely, the toilet is really clean and the probably the biggest i have seen in any resort.
The swimming pool and the kids pool was really nice,..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mathew79443
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Nice Decent property. well spread out. just had a one night stay at the hotel. however, didn't find the staff much co-operative and at a point of time felt like they were obliging us by giving a room. at the time of check out was happy that the journey was for just one night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple