“Much more than a guesthouse”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat
Warsaw, Poland
“Much more than a guesthouse”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I stayed in Mundax with my wife and 9 yrs old daughter for couple of days in March’11. I can’t praise Matthew more than others did, but let me try to somehow express our gratitude. Matt’s sincerity and cordiality made us feel like home there. He was preceding our wishes, fed us delicious food, showed us “secret” gems around, let us painlessly through yoga sessions. His place is spotless clean and quiet, though road to Kumily isn’t far way. Matthew is an excellent yoga teacher as far from modern athletic varieties of yoga as you can imagine. So instead of muscle aches we felt rejuvenated. Location isn’t a tourist hot spot, but area, sunken in tea plantations is beautiful. I recommend Mundax chiefly to couples, singles and parents who love spend time with their kids (there isn’t telly in Mundax :).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Artoor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Porvorim, India
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My wife and I needed a break from our busy and stressful schedule. We decided to holiday in Kerala in May 2010. After all the sightseeing tours, we decided to unwind in Kuttikanam. Mundax Home Stay was the perfect place. Our host, Matthew, was indeed a wonderful person. He was kind and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for him. Mundax Home Stay is situated approximately 3500 feet above sea level on route to Thekkady. The weather is so pleasant during the summer, one can forget about a fan or air conditioning. The rooms are large, clean, well ventilated and naturally well illuminated. We experienced a temperature of about 20 - 23 degrees C during the day. At night it was about 16 - 18 degrees C. The lush greenery is eye catching. A walk in Matthew's organic fruit and vegetable garden is an eye-opener to us urbanites. The nearby tea gardens are a perfect place to be with Mother Nature. The food served was vegetarian food cooked in traditional Kerala style. Matthew always made it a point to be with us when asked. He has vast knowledge about the surrounding area and is always there to give tips and suggestions. He is also a yoga/meditation teacher and there is a large and beautiful yoga room for those interested in yoga/meditation. This experience at Mundax made us holiday again in May 2011. We enjoyed the stay at Mundax and look forward to a longer stay in May 2012. Thank you Matthew.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My quiet week at Mundax was a reflective retreat from working in Bangalore. Being the only guest, on this uncharacteristically rainy week for the beginning of September, I was treated to personal yoga and meditation instruction from my host Mathew, traditional Kerala cuisine, which was amazing, and long walks along the hills. This is the perfect place to gather thoughts, read or write the next great novel or just unwind from the hectic pace of India. Thank you for a great retreat.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Everyone who has travled in India knows how hectic and streesful it can be.
If you need a break from it all and a few days in peace and quiet you must go to mathews place.
He's a host who will bend over backwards to make your stay as stress-free as possible.
Morning or afternoon yoga classes. Meditation. Long walks in the surounding valley. Day trips to the Tea or Spice Gardens and the Rainforrest. Have a shower from an Elephant. Sleep in comfy beds in large neatly decorated rooms.Feast in traditional southern indian food prepared by mathew and his cook.
The list goes on - what can i say ,just relax and enjoy!
Thea.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
cheltenham
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Matthew was very kind, helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We were the only guests and Matthew made us very welcome. Matthew arranged pickup from our provious hotel using a local driver who was very safe. Our room was large airy, very clean maybe a bit spartan (hard bed). The house was a substantial modern building that Matthew had build for him to his own design.
Food was simple but nourishing authentic Kerala vegetarian food, plenty of it and a choice in advance. Eating with Matthew was an easy going experience. The cook was delightful.
Location was a little remote, but this means it was quite and restful. Matthew organised taxi to take us to the Periyar wildlife park which was about an hour away. Locally the walks in the tea plantations were exellent opportunity to meet and talk wit the locals. We did make use of Matthews yoga training - first time for me and enjoyed it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Mundax homestay is a place to enjoy lots of space, tastfully furnished rooms, excellent rich food, walks in the nature and tea plantations around. I spent a good and relaxed time there. Mathew is an attentive host, and he is a very good and patient yogateacher. Kuttikkanam is a good starting point for trips to Peryar national park and nice viewpoints in the mountains. Only during the pilgrim season the street is a bit noisy from the buses.
I recommend this homestay for people who want to leave the usual tourist places for a while and for those who are interested in yoga.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I booked 5 days at Mundax to find a little balance. This is my first time to India and the first couple of weeks had been quite a culture shock. I had several months to go yet and searched for a place that I might do some yoga, meditate and get my equilibrium before continuing on my journey.
Although Mundax is not quite as removed from civilization as I had anticipated from the website, nor is it as close to Periyar and the Tiger reserve as I'd imagined, it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for and needed.
Mathew has created a real sanctuary dedicated to mindful living, it's comfortable simplicity allowed this weary traver to shed the noise and stress of the first three weeks spent in Mumbai and the gentler Fort Cochin. I took Mathew up on his twice daily yoga classes and was treated to one on one coaching. He really caters to the individual needs of his students, giving as much or as little instruction as you require or request. He invites you to explore and deepen your practice rather than insisting.
The food, though simple and straightforward vegetarian, was consistently good and always ample. Mathew makes sure you don't go hungry. He is even willing to bring in meat and fish at your request.
Even better than the food, was the thrice daily conversation. Maybe I lucked out with my fellow guests, but we all, Mathew included, ate and laughed and talked for an hour or more at each meal. In between we read, slept, enjoyed the garden and generally relaxed. One day three of us travelers went up to Periyar and trekked and played with elephants.
I ended up staying an extra day even though the yoga retreat was a little out of my budget range. I was very sad to leave. But Mathew and the other guests called me at dinner tha night I left to make sure I was ok and to include me, for just a moment, in "our" daily ritual.
I cannot recommend Mundax enough, especially if you are looking for a place to restore your body, mind and soul, if you are looking for good conversation, and a cool comfortable place to take a break from the heat and dust of the lower plains of Kerala.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thekkady
Jungle Palace
#5 of 43 in Thekkady
Falcon Crest
Falcon Crest
#1 of 18 in Vagamon

Been to Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!