“Trip of a lifetime”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat
Somerset, New Jersey
“Trip of a lifetime”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I just returned from a 10 day stay at Mundax Yoga Homestay. I enjoyed every moment of this trip. Mathew and Agi were fantastic hosts and excellent Yoga teachers. I felt privileged and lucky to be learning yoga from such terrific gurus. I'm a long distance runner and after finishing my marathon in the middle of November, I was looking forward to a restful vacation to stretch and rest all my muscles. This trip offered me exactly what I was looking for. Two yoga sessions each day gave me lot of oppurtunities to improve and correct my approach to yoga and learning the postures in a way that is relaxing and restful to the body. I'm a huge fan of south Indian food and my excellent hosts offered variety of healthy and vegetarian kerala dishes. I savoured every breakfast and meal. I felt pampered throughout my stay. Location itself was very quiet and gave me lot of oppurtunities to walk and run. Birju(taxi driver) was great and very helpful in taking me on the trips to Thekkady, Alleppy and so many scenic drives around Kuttikanum.

Thank you Mathew and Agi for everything. I look forward to adding yoga practice to my lifestyle and want to take time to visit Mundax on every India trip.
Keep up the good work. Best Regards Mahesha

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Our family was warmly welcomed by Mathew and Agi to their beautiful homestay in the Keralan hills. We stayed 4 nights with a 6 year old and a 3 year old, and although Mundax is a quiet sanctuary, there was no problem with our kids running around exploring. Agi kindly watched the kids so that my husband and I could practice yoga together. They were entertained with their own yoga, lots of craft, games and explorations of the beautiful garden.

Both Mathew and Agi are clearly passionate and knowledgeable about their practice of yoga. The morning and afternoon yoga sessions were focused on mindfulness and being fully present and contained many morsels of interesting insights.

The food at Mundax was superb. We got to explore the food of Kerala at each and every meal. Their cook really outdid herself. The hospitality from Mathew and Agi was above and beyond what we expected. Mundax itself is a beautiful and very clean home that Mathew built, with beautiful views over the interesting garden and local area. Our room was huge, comfortable and airy. There is also a fantastic book collection with a focus on yoga, meditation and spirituality.

And a special mention goes to Biju, our driver, who picked us up from our previous accommodation 3.5 hours away and drove us around the sights in the Kumily and Thekkady area (spice gardens, tea plantations etc), then dropped us off at our next destination. As a local, he had many interesting stories of the area, the people, the politics.

We highly recommend this homestay that offers the traveller more than just a place to sleep.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms. T0000he big room with a door to the outside is perfect for families.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sundaratraveller
UK
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Mundax is a beautiful homestay with lovely gardens and rooms. I loved the fantastic variety of vegetarian food - many thanks to Kunjma, I particularly enjoyed the yoga and meditation sessions with Mathew and now have a practice that I am continuing at home. Mathew has recommended books and web sites for my further interest. Biju drove me to and from the airport and on various trips. I highly recommend him because he is a very careful driver, good company with a sense of humour and always ready to impart his knowledge of the area. I visited a tea factory - it's fascinating to see the whole process of producing tea. My favourite visit was to the spice garden. The guide was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. He pointed out many plants and spices most of which I had only seen before in spice jars. Afterwards I had a very relaxing boat trip at Lake Periyar. Another highlight of my stay was a guided walk at Periyar where the local guide pointed out all kinds of plants, trees, birds and animals. I also went on a few walks which Mathew suggested close to Mundax. One day I walked to the Ayurvedic Hospital for a massage - I would recommend that too - then I returned in the little three-wheeled auto. Mathew and Agi are a very kind, caring couple who really look after you. All in all a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 12 November 2012

It was by pure chance that we came to stay in MUNDAX Homestay. On our way to Thekkady we noticed an attractive house, traditionally styled, nestled in a beautiful garden setting. When our driver said that it is a Homestay, we decided to stay there for a night. To our luck, they had a room free.
The caretaker took our order for dinner and started preparing the meal. Two hours later, we were at the dining table. Tasteful decor, ultra clean kitchen, simple but fresh and very tasty food. Same quality with breakfast and lunch. Superb and courteous service. Comfortable bed. Well-fitted room. Healthy air. We ended up staying there for four days.
The 'hosts' went to the limits and beyond to make us feel at home: even taking us around in a Jeep, visiting tea estates, wild life sanctuary, lakes, hills, etc.
But for the damn airfare, my wife and I would be back here year after year, at least for a couple of weeks at a time, rejuvenating us for our hectic California life!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thayil M
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My husband and I spent 5 days with Mat and Agi at Mundax end September, early October and it was just wonderful! Mat and Agi are a very special couple, so caring, attentive, just so friendly, perfect hosts! We did our first yoga which we enjoyed, thank you Mat and Agi for being so patient with us. We went to see the tea plantation which was enjoyable. We just loved our massage at the hospital, wonderful experience! It is such a peaceful place, ideal just to relax in the grounds which are just lovely. We can truly recommend this joyous experience. Thank you Mat and Agi for everything. Christine and Michael N.Z.

Room Tip: Mat and Agi only have two rooms, one large double or 2 single beds.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I was at Mundax (my Heaven on earth), for the ??? time this year. The mere fact that I come back here for quietude and not attitude, words are perhaps unnecessary, for Mundax needs to be experienced by one. There now is an angel by Mat's side in the form of Agi. The cleanliness, the silence, surrounded by nature at her most charming, the two incredible, agile Yoga Masters ie. Mat and Agi, the delicious repasts, pure vegetarian at every meal, served FRESH. May Mundax give you what your heart and mind need, pure joy! Lorraine

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Shirdi9
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I visited Mundax with a couple of friends for business. The property is set in a valley right at Kuttikanam junction. Mathew who owns and run this place is a great person. Treats his guest as family and takes very good care of everyone. Perfect place for a holistic recharge.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thekkady
Greenwoods Resort
#6 of 93 in Thekkady
Holiday Vagamon
Holiday Vagamon
#2 of 18 in Vagamon

Been to Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!