“Angels!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Mathew and Agi are two amazing beings. Generous, gentle hosts and patient yoga/meditation teachers who understand the Buddha's maxim that "health and happiness relies on moving the body and stilling the mind".

We have meditated for years now and were looking for a way to broaden our mindfulness practice into the body through yoga [...having been disappointed by the North America's expression of Yoga as fitness (at worst) and wellness (at best)]. We were delighted at the fusion of Mathew's deep spiritual practice with Agi's profound connection through yoga.

We enjoyed the intimate twice-daily yoga classes, (1:2 teacher/student ratio!) often and concluded with guided meditations, in their immaculate and comfortable home cradled among the lush hillsides covered with the "green jig-saw" of Kuttikanam's tea plantations. Their fresh and delicious traditional Kerala meals (pure-veg) were delightful and completely satisfying.

We were pleased that we had ample time in between yoga sessions and meals for my daily visit to the neighbouring Sahyadri Ayurvedic Hospital for a massage/treatment, while my partner had some time to reflect on readings from Mathew and Agi's spiritual library. (Thank-you for introducing us to Nisargardatta's "Pointers"!)

Finally, words fail us to convey our gratitude in connecting with Mathew and Agi as guides along our spiritual path! Angels!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Todd M
There are newer reviews for Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat

Reviewed 26 September 2013

If I could have rated this with 6 stars, I would! We spent 5 days in Mundax, and it was a fantastic experience. I had little experience with yoga before going, but I enjoyed every second of the stay, and would strongly recommend it to everyone.

What I liked the most about the stay:
+ Mathew and Agi are some of the best hosts I have ever met. It could not have been better. They had every meal together with us, they helped us with a lot of useful travel advice, they were very attentive and caring. Meeting them is really reason enough to visit Mundax!
+ The mindfulness and yoga - I have never had much interest in meditation and had very little experience with yoga before going, but the yoga sessions and the advice and discussions both in the yoga classes and around the dinner table were very inspiring, and truly good to bring back home to a hectic everyday life. The yoga sessions were conducted with only two of us in the class, which made it a really personal experience.
+ The meals - Healthy, delicious, varied. All indian cuising. And all the meals together with Mathew and Agi, and the 2 other guests staying with us. It was another highlight with the stay.
+ The house and the room was lovely. Clean, beautiful, well designed. A pleasure spending the days there.

Improvement potential:
- Nothing at all - it far exceeded my expectations in every way possible. The fact that we came during monsoon season and it was pouring down literally every second of our stay did not matter at all.

This is a must-do. It is a relaxing, refreshing, unforgettable experience that will most likely make you a happier person!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Are K
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I met Agi and Matthew during my travelling in North India,and at the end of my journey,I decided to stay at their homestay for a couple of days. And I'm so happy I did. It's such a beautiful and peaceful place in the middle of nature,and it's the perfect moment to take a break and just be with yourself. Agi and Matthew open up their house and their hearts for you,and besides the professional 'mindful yoga' classes,they are so interested and really take care of you,in all possible ways. We had lovely and inspiring talks during the meals (which were simply delicious and cooked with love) and I also enjoyed my own time,sitting on the balcony,reading my book and watching the beautiful birds! Agi and Matthew,thanks for the lovely time,the haven of peace I found at your place,and just all the beautiful moments we shared. I wish you all the best and can recommend this place to everybody who likes to have a different homestay experience,off the tourist track,close to nature and oneself...

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I spent four days in Mundax in april, and had a wonderful experience from the moment I arrived. Agi and Mathew are incredibly warm and welcoming people who would do anything to make sure you have a comfortable and fulfilling stay with them.
The building and the surroundings are beautiful, the atmosphere is peaceful and the home cooked food is delicious. And the yoga and meditation sessions are very rewarding. Mathew and Agi offered genuine and helpful guidance, and truly helped me understand how I can practice yoga on my own in a very fruitful way. As there was only one other guest at the homestay while I was there, I had one-to-one yoga classes, which was particularly valuable. I felt perfectly at peace while there, and when leaving, it felt like I had embarked on some sort of spiritual journey (and I mean that in the best way possible). Whatever I learned in Mundax have stayed with me, and I recommend this place to anyone who´s up for a relaxing, refreshing and rewarding homestay experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Gjertrud M
Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at Mundax. The yoga classes and meditation were amazing, genuine and helpful guidance from Matthew made our stay very fulfilling. The place is beautiful and quiet yet there are things to do around the area. The place was spotless clean and we felt at home. The food was the healthiest and most delicious we've had in a long long time!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Luca1012
Reviewed 28 March 2013

After an overwhelming and challenging week volunteering in Kolkata we whisked ourselves away to Kerala where we spent the most amazing 4 days at Mundax. I was travelling with my sister whom had fallen quite ill and was desperate to get to a bed by the time we arrived.
Mathew and Agi's home was beautifully clean and welcoming with lovely spacious rooms. We made good use of the library of spiritual teachings and loved the yoga and meditation sessions each day (twice a day). My poor sister missed out on the first day and half due to being unwell but after some advice from the local Ayurvedic doctor and some soothing rice porridge and coconut ginger chutney made by the Mundax cook she was enjoying herself in no time...
Unfortunately we didn't get the opportunity to meet Agi as she was away but Mathew was a very gracious and accommodating host. The traditional Kerala vegetarian meals were delicious, nutritious (never felt better) and definitely plentiful. Since being back in Australia for less than a week I have already started cooking Kerala dishes at home. Love it!
By the time we left, we both felt renewed, at peace and energised, looking forward to sharing our experience with our husbands when we got home.
I cannot recommend Mundax highly enough, it's truly a wonderful place to rest your body, renew your soul and release your mind. - Amy and Kate, Perth WA

Room Tip: Both rooms are fantastic...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheShieldsys
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We spent a month in southern India and began our journey with 7 days at Mundax Homestay. If you ever desire to completely unwind, learn / practice Yoga, and enjoy amazing food, then this is the perfect place.

We enjoyed Incredible vegetarian food and shared life stories with Mathew and Agi. Their home is very clean, cozy, and peaceful. We completely nourished our bodies and spirits. Mathew and Agi are very generous hosts who really share their warm energy and guidance unconditionally.

We also hiked 30 minutes each day through the tea plantations to the local Ayruvedic clinic and had some incredible massages/treatments. This was an amazing addition to our stay at Mundax.

We arrived at Mundax with stressful hearts and were completely refreshed at the end of our stay. We will forever be thankful to these two wonderful spirits.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thekkady
Forest Canopy
Spice Village
Spice Village
#6 of 43 in Thekkady
Misty Mountain Plantation Resort

Been to Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!